Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I apply for residency after 2 yrs on a 457?

Options
  • 29-10-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hey,

As above, can this be done or would I have to see out the 4 yrs with company.

Cheers (again) :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

2 years with same company = ENS employer nominated

Meet criteria and you can apply for PR at any point. 3 years post qualification experience in discipline is the main thing. Plenty of info on these forums regarding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

irishmover wrote: »
    2 years with same company = ENS employer nominated

Meet criteria and you can apply for PR at any point.
    Just to be clear do you mean anytime after you've done two years first?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You can apply at any time through the direct stream if you have a relevant skills assessment and 3 years relevant experience.

If you don't have skills assessment you need to work two years on a 457 and apply for the Temporary transition stream.

One of the following Passports is good enough for English requirements.
    Irish
    British
    USA
    Canadian
    NZ

Otherwise you need

IELTS 6 for Direct Entry stream
    IELTS 5 for Temporary Transition stream

You will also need a Police Certificate for every country you have lived in for over 12 months, full medical & chest X-Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Plenty of info in the sticky and previous threads.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056505082

But as the guys said, you can apply anytime (once you have relevant skills/experience) for an independent PR, and employer sponsored.
    But if you stay with company 2years, you can skip the skills assessment part.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

I have been working with my current employer for two years on a 457 I've have been offered a job with another company and we are currently looking at visa options.

The option we are looking at is the RSMS. I am in a Regional area (WA)
    If I acceppt the position and apply for a RSMS visa subclass 187, is it correct that I will require a skills assessment?
    I think I will as, I will not have been working for my new employer for a period of two years when applying for the visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Thanks for the replies, I currently have a skills assessment done already.
    Does this make any difference to me applying for PR.
    My employer has said they will start the ball rolling on 457 next week or week after, should I approach them and see if I could go straight for PR instead?
    Is this possible bearing in mind I have my skills assessment done. I would rather have the PR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think go for it. I've read the IMMI info on the employer sponsored PR and it's pretty good. I think it actually makes more sense for your employer, from what I can see it appears that if the job goes they aren't liable for your flight home. Basically once you have been approved through that path and your job was to be suddenly axed then you won't be left scrambling trying to organise another 457. You can apply for any job then.

zweton wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I currently have a skills assessment done already.
    Does this make any difference to me applying for PR.
    My employer has said they will start the ball rolling on 457 next week or week after, should I approach them and see if I could go straight for PR instead?
    Is this possible bearing in mind I have my skills assessment done. I would rather have the PR.

Do you have 3 years relevant post qualification experience? If yes it's doable.

Ya I have 3 years now but my skills assessment which i got in february is only 2yrs and 8 mths. Not sure if this is enough.

Ya I have 3 years now but my skills assessment which i got in february is only 2yrs and 8 mths. Not sure if this is enough.

If you have 36 months relevant experience then you have enough for the ENS, the 3 years is an ENS thing nothing to do with skills assessment.

• Advertisement

Ok cool I will look into it more,what's the name of the visa do you know e.g 436,766? Thanks :-)

Ok cool I will look into it more,what's the name of the visa do you know e.g 436,766? Thanks :-)

ENS 186

Great, would the 3 years proof of work experience just consist of submitting payslips etc from a few years back? I have them all scanned along with degree...

Ah I think this is what I'm looking for

This stream is available only to people who hold a subclass 457 visa. People who hold other 400 series visas may qualify to apply for a permanent residence visa through the Direct Entry stream.

Direct Entry stream

If you apply for the Direct entry stream, you must:

provide a positive skills assessment in your nominated occupation
    provide evidence of at least three years of relevant work experience
    have competent English.

Would it come across as cheeky to ask my employer about the ENS 186 visa rather than the 457?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If you don't have skills assessment you need to work two years on a 457 and apply for the Temporary transition stream
    hussey wrote: »
    But if you stay with company 2years, you can skip the skills assessment part.

Just to be clear, do you have be on a 457 for 2 years or be with the company 2 years? I ask because I was with my company almost 6 months before I got my 457.

Essien wrote: »
    Just to be clear, do you have be on a 457 for 2 years or be with the company 2 years? I ask because I was with my company almost 6 months before I got my 457.

If you mean the Temporary transition stream the 2 years is on the 457 only, time spent on holiday visas doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lavelle72

What about my situation where I did 4 years on a 457 with my old company, and moved to my current crowd 3 months ago - do I have to be 2 years with this employer before I'm eligible to go down the ENS route? I should probably have my PR by now given I've been here 6 years... ;)

lavelle72 wrote: »
    What about my situation where I did 4 years on a 457 with my old company, and moved to my current crowd 3 months ago - do I have to be 2 years with this employer before I'm eligible to go down the ENS route? I should probably have my PR by now given I've been here 6 years... ;)

Good point, but unless you can produce a skills assessment to enable you to go the Direct ENS stream then you have to do another 21 months and go Temporary Transition stream.

Advertisement