Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loftus Hall tours available

Options
  • 29-10-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭

I know its not strictly Waterford but I have always been fascinated by Loftus Hall and now its available for tours of the house. Im going down on Wednesday for one and I would advise anyone who has an interest to get tickets. Im not 100% sure if i buy the original ghost story, of the devil arriving one night and then flying through the roof when his hooved feet were exposed, both because these stories tend to grow lots of legs over time plus the current building isnt even the one where it happened as Loftus Hall was burnt down is 1871 and rebuilt as the building we see today.

Here is a hilarious and cheesy short video on the haunting though, check it out:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

We went to the tour the other day.
    It was different and interesting.
    Only downfall I found is the tour didn't include upstairs.
    If your expecting a tour in the light, don't, 80% in the dark.

Still recommend it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks for reply, am looking forward to it now, are there any scary parts to it and do they recount the old story of the devil during it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

not really scary, we thought there would with the halloween weekend,
    There are one or 2 devil stories there. in the tapas room etc

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

I'd advise anyone going to book the tour in advance. We were there today and all the tours were sold out so we only got to wander around the outside of the house. It costs €2 to park the car and it's then €9 each for the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SenboBaggins

not really scary, we thought there would with the halloween weekend,
    There are one or 2 devil stories there. in the tapas room etc

Tapas room? I'm pretty sure they didn't have a room designated to Spanish cuisine :p I thought the tour was brilliant. Really spooky! Tapestry room n all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Does anybody know of any halloween events in Waterford City? :)

Just did this tour today and I really enjoyed it, it was brilliant and the tour guide really keeps your attention. They bring you into the card-playing room, the parlour with the famous staircase and the Tapestry Room which is supposed to be riddled with demons. Its a horrible house, each room just feels very stark and haunted but the worst place is the Tapestry, very eerie and deadly cold, I would urge you to check it out!

Only problem is I dont know what to believe regarding the ghost story because all the available info on the net says the original Loftus Hall where the devil appeared was burnt down and only the foundations remain (there was a ruin next to the house that was never explained!), but our guide insists this is wrong and the devil appeared in the current house, it was merely "renovated" in 1871 but remains the same. Whatever the truth its a very entertaining tour and has a lovely cafe/gift shop on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I thought Bono bought that place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

@Wanderer: They explain that in the tour, the Devil appeared in the rebuilt house.

It was very good, and if you're jumpy you'll be jumpin'! They done well with what they have, and the Card Game re-inactment was very good. The "Long Walk" and Tapestry Room was great too. Actually, most of the rooms were great. I'd recommend it, but just don't expect it to be the scariest experience of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 susieoh

Went to the tour, was fantastic. Was in the tapstry room and there was a jumper landed on my head lol! The tour guide said it was nothing to do with them but I have my doubts. It was so creepy. I felt a presence the moment that I walked in. The tour was really well put together and informative. Okay so you cant go upstairs but still, it was brilliant.

• Advertisement

^ Yeah, the Tapestry Room was the coldest and strangest room I have ever been in. Now this could all be in my head as the guide did spend the previous half hour building up a horrible history of the place so of course I was wary of it but even given the cold (obviously man made) and the predictable bed shaking antics, I did feel something very unnerving in that room. Cant put my finger on it but I was very glad to be out of it!

Advertisement