Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to go college need help

Options
  • 29-10-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hows it going.
    Im very interested in going back to college and study...i would like to do mechanical engineering as im into mechanics and how things work etc...so i think i would like this course,
    Anyone have advice on this course and the kind of job career of graduates?
    ill also tell you i am not good at maths but thats due to not listening in school and messing!i am very willing to learn and get grinds!
    I am currently 25 years old i done my leaving in 06,i am a qualified plumber but due to recession i see the light and i would like a diffrent career!
    I am also in oz and going to do 2 years here and save to put myself thru college...i have 6 months done here so far!

My questions are:
    Anyone any advice on mechanicl engineering course?and the maths?any free online maths courses to get me started?

If i am out of ireland for 2 years can i still apply for a mature student grant as i will be 27??reason i ask is i have heard you cant apply for the dole if you are out of country for 2yrs or more!!

Do i apply through the CAO yeh?should i apply for it this year even tho i wont want it for 2 years,maybe divert it for a year?

I am a plumber already i presume that should stand to me and help me maybe get accepted?i hope...

Thanks very much for reading and any help lads and lassies IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

How long have you been in Australia? If you are not resident in Ireland for 3 of the last 5 years you can't get a grant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

As regards maths there are plenty of online materials e.g. Khan Academy.

There have been threads on the Engineering forum here recently about career prospects in the different engineering fields, they might be worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Smac!

i have been in australia for 6 months now and i plan on doing 2years all together!

cheers i will look there now!

anymore help welcome
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DeccyJ

Hi there,

I'm in a similar boat myself. I'm a spark but I'm going back to do engineering next year.

Maths will depend on what course and college you intend on applying for. Level 8 courses (NFQ) courses will look for about a Higher C3 in maths. There'll be a special exam if you don't already have that grade. I'm probably the same as you. Spent 5th and 6th year in school doing the fool. Had a great time but struggling now! mathtutor.ac.uk does decent free tutorials but there's a lot to learn. But if you've got a 2 year plan that's loads of time. Just don't leave it til the last minute! That said, LOADS of courses aren't as strict with the maths. Being a qualified electrician counts for a lot if you're trying to get on to a Level 7 electrical engineering degree so I'm guessing that being a plumber is the same with mechanical.

I did one year of mechanical engineering in college years ago but dropped out cause I couldn't have been bothered at the time, but I remember the science being easy and the practicals and labs and mechanics lectures being enjoyable. I fell behind on maths STRAIGHT AWAY though, so even if you don't need to do a maths exam to get accepted I would recommend doing some homework anyway - it'll make it way easier for yourself. I know that on all the sites I've worked on in the last few years (big industrial jobs around Europe) the mechanical engineers have had HANDY numbers. And they're well paid and there seems to be work out there for them.

I don't have a clue about grants but I wouldn't count on them. Cutbacks, etc, let alone being out of the country! If I was in your shoes I'd be saving like a mad man for the next 2 years. You'll get grants if you're entitled to them and that will all fall into place once you do your homework. Get onto the colleges your interested in - they'll have people who advise you on that stuff. But if you've a few quid from Oz in your pocket at least you won't be stuck if you get shot down!

What kind of work are you doing now? If you've industrial experience Kentz (http://www.kentz.com/careers/opportunities/group.aspx)are paying good money on projects like Gorgon, and Aus-group (http://www.agc-ausgroup.com/) are mad looking for people too, I believe. Money's very good. But there are loads of companies doing similar work and offer really good money.

You have to apply through CAO if you want to go into 1st year, but you can apply direct to the college if your course allows people with relevant experience (like trades) to skip 1st year. Whether you apply now or later is up to you, but you will probably get called for an interview as a mature student which means you'll have to pay around 3 grand in flights and stuff to attend. You might get called for an interview either way but your college will tell you what's what once you decide where you want to go.

Only other thing I can say is that in my experience everyone in the colleges can't do enough to help you if you need any questions answered, and their email addresses are freely available on the net.

Good luck! And if you know anyone hiring sparks back in Ireland give us a shout please cause I need to save money for 1st year next year! Good luck!

Advertisement