Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Kitten

• 29-10-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Seen someone stray a kitten yesterday, got the reg and reported it to the Gardai.

Anyway, I have seen the kitten around since, climbing trees, walking the back wall etc. I would be concerned that it is too young to know how to fend for themselves. I have left some milk out for him/her, out of reach of our dog.

If we can, I would like to take it in. I don't think our dog will be a problem, 10 year old boxer. How would I go about encouraging it to trust us?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

First thing good on you for wanting to take it in, and for reporting those fools.

Number 1 rule for cats is no milk!

Leave a bowl of water within reach and try a saucer of cat food, if you can tap the dish to get its attention when you see it, then put down the food and back away. You may have to go inside at first but gradually stay closer to it. keep the dog out of sight while you do this until you have its trust.
    Any idea how big it is (fit in one hand? half adult cat size?), what colour are its eyes? (they stay blue until about 5 or 6 weeks then start to change colour)

If very young under 10 or 12 weeks and you can catch it, it would be just a few days before it settled, litter training is good at that age too.
    Make up a box or something with a blanket and put it up off the ground somewhere, near where you leave food. its very cold these nights.

Good luck, boxer should be fine after a slow intro, they generally are pretty gentle fools (I know from past experience).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

We had a stray kitten under the shed for two weeks tried everything to hoax her, she was starving and crying all the time, eventually my partner got near enough to her to grab her( hours of hoaxing) and she's BIG part of the family two years later .... Hope you catch him/her with the winter coming and if a Tom catches it, it'll have very little chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

For the moment try and tempt it with some very strong smelling food e.g salmon/sardines. How visible is it?

Your best bet if you're in an estate is to let your neighbours know (not all will be kitten lovers). Explain what happened and tell them to contact you if they see him/her. It'll be very hungry within 48hrs so it's best to rally around your neighbours to get him caught asap.

Curious to see what the Gardaí said...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

anniehoo wrote: »
    Curious to see what the Gardaí said...

Said they would try and contact the registered owner, so I would guess nothing at all. Haven't seen the kitten since Sunday, have been watching out. Will wait and see.

Advertisement