Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy with your subjects?

• 29-10-2012 1:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭

Greetings,

Long timer lurker on the forums, I only decided to make an account and start posting, most recent enough.

I noticed a lot of posters both in the JC and LC are dreading certain exams, ultimately not satisfied with the subjects.

So what subjects are you guys taking and what ones do you regret taking? Also it might be relevant so what course will you be applying for and in which year are you currently in?

I'll start;
    My subjects are: Ag Science, Biology, Chemistry, Business, Geography, English as highers and Spanish/Maths as ordinary.

I would most say I dislike Chemistry due to it's difficulty but I'm only in 5th so the whole course is going to be repeated next year anyway (I'm attending a daytime grind school, I'm sure you're already aware of which one so the method of teaching is a little different)

Oh and aspiring for med.

What about you guys/girls?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I am in 6th year and doing: English,Irish,Spanish,Geography,Biology and Chemistry(Higher) and Maths(Ordinary).
    At the moment I am only worried about English due it being so subjective :L Aiming for 500+ points.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

In 6th year, Doing pass english irish maths:( Higher in Construction geography Ag science and economics. I fell sick every time I have to go to economics!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Conor556 wrote: »
    I fell sick every time I have to go to economics!

Are you serious? Eonomics is piss easy though, I picked it up this year and I was scoring no less than 80% per each assessment in microeconomics with about 20 minuets of revising 2-3 times a week. Although, that said, we only covered the introduction, supply, demand and elasticity so it could possibly get harder. I eventually dropped it and picked Agricultural Science, as it would benefit me more going towards medicine.

Are you serious? Eonomics is piss easy though, I picked it up this year and I was scoring no less than 80% per each assessment in microeconomics with about 20 minuets of revising 2-3 times a week. Although, that said, we only covered the introduction, supply, demand and elasticity so it could possibly get harder. I eventually dropped it and picked Agricultural Science, as it would benefit me more going towards medicine.

It is easy ya but so boring! I hated it at the start of 5th year and asked if i could go into technology but the teacher would'nt let me so i took no interest in it for a few weeks hoping she would let me go, but that did'nt happen

Conor556 wrote: »
    It is easy ya but so boring! I hated it at the start of 5th year and asked if i could go into technology

What's technology like? I took a glimpse of the papers and it seemed pretty easy by the questions and the concept of the syllabus seemed rather basic. They don't teach it in my school :'/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Subjects I'm doing are English, Irish, Maths, French, then Engineering, Physics and History. I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing, out of the choices I had I don't think I could have chosen better.

Engineering is handy out; because my hobbies and interests cross over with the course work in a lot of areas I have to do very little work to do well in class.

Physics is the same, to an extent, but really if you can do sudoku you can pretty much do Leaving cert physics :P

History I picked because I wanted to do something academic. Really, there's no way around history other than to learn the book and write essays, so a bit of work there, but it's manageable at the moment.

Subjects I'm doing are English, Irish, Maths, French, then Engineering, Physics and History. I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing, out of the choices I had I don't think I could have chosen better.

Engineering is handy out; because my hobbies and interests cross over with the course work in a lot of areas I have to do very little work to do well in class.

Physics is the same, to an extent, but really if you can do sudoku you can pretty much do Leaving cert physics :P

History I picked because I wanted to do something academic. Really, there's no way around history other than to learn the book and write essays, so a bit of work there, but it's manageable at the moment.

Is physics hard? I was going to take it but I got put off because I am not so fluent in mathematics. Also, what do you want to do after school, I'm guessing Engineering?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Is physics hard? I was going to take it but I got put off because I am not so fluent in mathematics. Also, what do you want to do after school, I'm guessing Engineering?

Not really. You have to be good with algebra, and fractions, which a surprising number of people aren't thanks to being able to throw numbers into calculators. The questions are all mostly "You have 3 variable, you know 2. Find the 3rd variable." So as long as you have a head for knowing when to use the right formula, physics is grand. It's only memorizing exact definition and derivations that you need to put in a bit of work, but that's the same with biology and chemistry.

As for after school, I'm between electronic engineering, industrial design and philosophy :D quite diverse, I know.

What's technology like? I took a glimpse of the papers and it seemed pretty easy by the questions and the concept of the syllabus seemed rather basic. They don't teach it in my school :'/

we did a bit in TY as a trial and it was the finest, I said I wouldnt do it cause i had enough projects to do between con, ag sci and geo so opted for economics!:(. That was the 1st year they thought technology it in my school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

doing higher level english, biology and history, ordinary irish maths and german
    was doing higher level chemistry aswell but dropped it cause it was too hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

Doing maths, English, Irish, French, business, home ec, biology and LCVP (all higher)
    Really hate biology..not a sciencey person at all, really regret picking it! Not the best at French either :/ and LCVP is kinda a waste of time in my opinion but hopefully I'll get a distinction to make it worthwhile!
    Love home ec and business and English and Irish are ok too!
    Higher level maths is sooo hard! Is anyone else doing it? If so what do ye think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

I'm doing English, Irish, Maths, French, Geography, Biology and Chemistry. (HL)
    I honestly enjoy most of my subjects most of the time, Biology is my favourite and this year I've started to really like French. Maths is never going to be my thing and I'll be delighted to be finished with it next summer but saying that I do enjoy some aspects of the course, it's just the crazily hard questions that make me occasionally want to throw my maths book out the window.
    Chemistry is difficult but when you get it you really get it, I hate how strict they are with the marking scheme. If I didn't need it for course requirements I'd have done something else and I would probably advise people not do it if they didn't need it.

Chemistry is difficult but when you get it you really get it, I hate how strict they are with the marking scheme. If I didn't need it for course requirements I'd have done something else and I would probably advise people not do it if they didn't need it.

So I'm assuming you're also going for med?

So I'm assuming you're also going for med?

Veterinary Med actually :)

Veterinary Med actually :)

My cousin is aiming is for that, he hasn't stopped talking about it for the last couple of years, and he's in 3rd year doing his JC this year :pac:

What are the career prospects of vets? Is it in somewhat of a demand? I've never looked into it but apparently only 1 or 2 colleges in Ireland offer it, but I may be wrong.

My cousin is aiming is for that, he hasn't stopped talking about it for the last couple of years, and he's in 3rd year doing his JC this year :pac:

What are the career prospects of vets? Is it in somewhat of a demand? I've never looked into it but apparently only 1 or 2 colleges in Ireland offer it, but I may be wrong.

Career prospects are reasonably good, I think the vast majority of newly qualified vets get jobs in Ireland but that's only what I've read here on boards, I wouldn't mind moving country for a job though :) It's just one course in UCD so the points are ridiculously high, 580 on random selection last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

my subjects are higher level : English, Irish, biology, chemistry, economics, accountancy and French
    ordinary level : just maths

my worst subject is accounting. Find it extremely difficult, and such a long course, and so much learning to do. However, you're either really good at it, or just, not good. :P There are 4 people in my class, 2 of those are really good at accounting, getting A's the whole time, and me and another lad are fairly bad at it! Sticking with the honours though, even though I'm just going for a pass in the subject.

..I find chemistry ok, tough in parts, but the course isn't too long, so you'll get time to revise the whole thing around Mock time. I find the theory part grand, it's the maths parts I despise.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

I'm doing music, german, DCG, physics, maths, english and irish, all higher except irish.

Love music, hoping to do it in college :) maths. physics, german and DCG are all fairly good aswell, don't really dread any of em and even look forward to them sometimes.

I find english extremely boring, and as for irish, i've always been terrible at it... not looking forward to the orals :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

I'm doing english, maths, french, biology, business, home ec, art and an european language. All higher except maths.

I really don't like art, I didn't want to do it but it's compulsory in our year :/ Feel pretty optimistic about all the other subjects!

Oh I forgot. I'm in 6th year, don't know what course I'm gonna do but points wise I'm aiming for 480-500 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I'm doing Geography, german, History, Economics, maths, english and irish, all higher.

Would love to have done business instead of Geography or History

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

I'm a 5th year doing Maths, English , Irish , German (OL) , Biology, Chemistry , History and I'm teaching myself Economics.

I love all of my subjects except for german, which I despise, but Oh well :pac:
    Aspiring for med also :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

In fifth year doing Maths, English, Irish, French, Biology, Physics, Art and then Applied Mathematics by myself

Love it all..except Art and Irish
    I had to do Art cos otherwise I would've had to do Chemistry or Geography. I personally don't like any of those 3 but I chose Art cos it's actually a stress relief, I only got a C in it in JC though.

Irish is my one OL subject and I want to drop it..but they won't let me, technically I'm eligible for an exemption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    In fifth year doing Maths, English, Irish, French, Biology, Physics, Art and then Applied Mathematics by myself

Love it all..except Art and Irish
    I had to do Art cos otherwise I would've had to do Chemistry or Geography. I personally don't like any of those 3 but I chose Art cos it's actually a stress relief, I only got a C in it in JC though.

Irish is my one OL subject and I want to drop it..but they won't let me, technically I'm eligible for an exemption

If you qualify an exemption and you dont want to do it, get exempt.
    Print out where it says you are eligible and show it to your Irish teacher.

If you qualify an exemption and you dont want to do it, get exempt.
    Print out where it says you are eligible and show it to your Irish teacher.

That's the problem..
    I technically qualify
    Students whose primary education up to 11 years of age was received in Northern Ireland or outside Ireland
    Students who were enrolled in a primary or post-primary school and who are now enrolling again after having been abroad. The student must have been abroad for at least three years. The student must be at least 11 years of age when re-enrolling.
    I started when I was 9 years and 11 months
    But my primary school teacher didn't teach any Irish at all for 2 years and I actually started learning in 1st year at 11 years and 11 months

They don't care

That's the problem..
    I technically qualify

I started when I was 9 years and 11 months
    But my primary school teacher didn't teach any Irish at all for 2 years and I actually started learning in 1st year at 11 years and 11 months

They don't care

Where you born in the Republic of Ireland or outside?

Where you born in the Republic of Ireland or outside?
    Outside the Republic
    Anyway, don't wanna keep dragging the thread off topic

Who's doing more than 8 subjects?
    Is it hard?

Outside the Republic
    Anyway, don't wanna keep dragging the thread off topic

Who's doing more than 8 subjects?
    Is it hard?

Sent you a PM.

Oh and on that subject, I knew a lad who did 13 subjects for 5th year, like no lie.. He went to the Institute of Education with a friend of mine and I think he chose his 8 favorite or best I should say at the start of 6th year. Not a bad idea ay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Sent you a PM.

Oh and on that subject, I knew a lad who did 13 subjects for 5th year, like no lie.. He went to the Institute of Education with a friend of mine and I think he chose his 8 favorite or best I should say at the start of 6th year. Not a bad idea ay?

did he have any life, at all, outside of school?

ray2012 wrote: »
    did he have any life, at all, outside of school?

I doubt it, both his parents were scientists from Ukraine, if that gives you a rough image of his life...

• Advertisement

I doubt it, both his parents were scientists from Ukraine, if that gives you a rough image of his life...

He did niche Western European languages that he knows like Russian for his LC didn't he? I know some people who are doing that

Now that I mentioned it, most European students have an advantage in the way they can sit a simple LC exam for their mother tongue and get around 100 points

Advertisement