Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy with your subjects?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    He did niche Western European languages that he knows like Russian for his LC didn't he? I know some people who are doing that

Now that I mentioned it, most European students have an advantage in the way they can sit a simple LC exam for their mother tongue and get around 100 points

I'm assuming he did, but apparently he speaks native German, so he took both that including English and Irish and that said, a lot of African students, specifically those from Congo, Angola, Niger, Cameroon and many more can speak native or at least fluent French and some Spanish/Portuguese which is a major advantage. A couple of my Congolese friends score straight A's and B's with no more than an hour study a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

most European students have an advantage in the way they can sit a simple LC exam for their mother tongue and get around 100 points

they have to do English as an exam also however. If they are fluent in Russian, say for example, then they more than likely lived there for the majority of their childhood, so then their English obviously wouldn't be as advanced for Higher level maybe.. Kind of balances itself out, unless they happen to be fluent in their mother tongue and English.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

ray2012 wrote: »
    they have to do English as an exam also however. If they are fluent in Russian, say for example, then they more than likely lived there for the majority of their childhood, so then their English obviously wouldn't be as advanced for Higher level maybe.. Kind of balances itself out, unless they happen to be fluent in their mother tongue and English.

True but it's not the case with brighter students. I know Lithuanians who are fluent in both Lithuanian, Russian and English. They also study French and Irish here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

6th year here. I'm doing English, Irish, Maths, French, geography, accounting and biology. All higher level.

My worst are probably Irish, maths and French. Dreading both orals and maths just isn't the same as it used to be, me and jc maths were actuall pretty good friends.

Favourites are probably English and geography so I'm thinking about maybe doing an arts degree or something in them. Hoping for 500+ points.

If I could just get my head down now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Relatively happy. I do English/Irish/Maths, History, Business, Spanish and Geography all higher.. I dont particularly like Business or Geography, but my school didn't offer a couple of the subjects I wanted because not enough people chose them (Economics & Accounting). So I chose those two because they are very easy, and I'm hoping to pick up As in both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

I can honestly say that I hate pretty much all my subjects. Geography, Biology and Business bore the ****e out of me but I'm looking for A1's in all three. English is grand so far, apart from Wuthering Sheights. I'm fecked for French. Irish is in contention for my weakest subject also. Maths is frustrating but worth the extra 25 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

ray2012 wrote: »

I'm doing pretty good in higher level English and I've only lived here for 5 years. I'm also doing an European language which I'm fluent in as I lived in that country for most of my life. I do French as well and did both French and Spanish for my JC.
    I know a few people in my year group who are fluent in an European language and you wouldn't even think that they were from another country as their English is proper perfect.
    It really depends on the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

In 6th year, and I do Business, Economics, Geography, Biology, English, Maths (all higher) and LCVP.

Hoping for 500+.

I'm beginning to dislike Math and English (due to the course). Biology is probably my favorite at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Conor94

I wish I had done Physics instead of Music. I'm more interested in physics than any other science and I want to do science next year in university, but I'm probably going to go for un-denominated science now instead of a pure physics course because I haven't done LC Physics (I do phys-chem as an extra subject, but not physics by itself)

Business also bores the sh**e outta me because I have no interest in it, but its an easy subject so I have it for easy points I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I do Spanish, Biology, Business, Art and LCVP.
    I hated doing LCVP last year, I thought it was such a waste of time, now I couldn't be more grateful I kept it on.
    Business is so.......bitty, really hard to get an A in imo, every sentence is a fact, you need to know EVERYTHING, but other than that I think its grand
    Art has screwed me over a little, impossible to get an A in
    LOVE Biology, nuff said. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

In 6th year now. Currently doing English, French, Maths, DCG, Engineering, Physics and Links. Dropped Irish after learning that I am eligible for an exemption :D
    Honestly, I'm okay with the subjects, French and English are brutal at higher level. Wish I could do Construction Studies as well but had to do French to get into UL.

Overall, I can manage over 400 points with small amount of studying per night which is not bad you know! Aiming for 500 in the Leaving :cool:

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Dropped Irish after learning that I am eligible for an exemption :D

Out of interest, on what grounds, can you get an exemption from being born outside of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Out of interest, on what grounds, can you get an exemption from being born outside of Ireland

Got an exemption that I am deaf and all disabled student can avail of it.
    As for the exemption for being born outside the Republic, you can get it if you moved here after you turned 11. If you arrived in before you turned 11 but never did Irish in primary school, then you should give it a try. I know some people managed to get exemptions because they were born in Eastern countries, Serbia, Poland, Lithuania, Russia, Georgia and one from South Africa. Two of them came here before they turned 11 and never learned Irish in primary and yet got the exemption. One tried to get it dropped but wasn't successful, never got to know the reason. The rest choose to stick with Irish as their foreign language so they can avail of other subjects.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Got an exemption that I am deaf and all disabled student can avail of it.
    As for the exemption for being born outside the Republic, you can get it if you moved here after you turned 11. If you arrived in before you turned 11 but never did Irish in primary school, then you should give it a try. I know some people managed to get exemptions because they were born in Eastern countries, Serbia, Poland, Lithuania, Russia, Georgia and one from South Africa. Two of them came here before they turned 11 and never learned Irish in primary and yet got the exemption. One tried to get it dropped but wasn't successful, never got to know the reason. The rest choose to stick with Irish as their foreign language so they can avail of other subjects.

DANG, I heard somewhere it didn't matter when you moved, oh well, I only have a few months left of it anyways :cool:

There are 2 types of exemptions you can recieve; Department of Education or National University of Ireland. DoE will give an exemption to people who moved to Ireland after they were 11, and on the grounds of disability of course. You can get an NUI exemption if you were born outside of the 26 counties.

The reason for that is NUI universities require you to pass Irish to be accepted but they'll gladly give you an exemption if you have a birth cert that was issued outside Ireland. This exemption ONLY covers NUI colleges and universities BUT afaik you only need to pass either English or Irish to get into DCU and TCD. Other colleges might require you to pass Irish, I'm not sure. I think if DoE exempts you, you're covered for whatever university.

I moved here when I was almost 10 and my principal said I can't avail of an exemption due to the fact that I started primary school here before 11. If I can't get an exemption from the Department of Education, I'll get one from NUI and drop Irish but I'll be making sure I can get into most of the universities without it.

Hope I helped

There are 2 types of exemptions you can recieve; Department of Education or National University of Ireland. DoE will give an exemption to people who moved to Ireland after they were 11, and on the grounds of disability of course. You can get an NUI exemption if you were born outside of the 26 counties.

The reason for that is NUI universities require you to pass Irish to be accepted but they'll gladly give you an exemption if you have a birth cert that was issued outside Ireland. This exemption ONLY covers NUI colleges and universities BUT afaik you only need to pass either English or Irish to get into DCU and TCD. Other colleges might require you to pass Irish, I'm not sure. I think if DoE exempts you, you're covered for whatever university.

I moved here when I was almost 10 and my principal said I can't avail of an exemption due to the fact that I started primary school here before 11. If I can't get an exemption from the Department of Education, I'll get one from NUI and drop Irish but I'll be making sure I can get into most of the universities without it.

Hope I helped

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was SUPER helpful, justa little thing I am confused about, lets say I do an Irish exam in my leaving and I fail, can I still go to a NUI uni because I was born outside of Ireland or do I have to get the exemption before the leaving starts and not do the exam?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was SUPER helpful, justa little thing I am confused about, lets say I do an Irish exam in my leaving and I fail, can I still go to a NUI uni because I was born outside of Ireland or do I have to get the exemption before the leaving starts and not do the exam?
    Thinking of winging the exam for the craic anyway are ya? ;)
    No, I believe you have to be exempt beforehand. But if you get an NUI exemption, I don't see why you can't sit the exam anyway. Where are you thinking of going?

There's a form online that you have to print out, fill in and send in with a copy of your non-Irish birth cert but I'd ring up the NUI and ask them what the story is first. How old were you when you started school here btw?

Thinking of winging the exam for the craic anyway are ya? ;)

.................Maybe:p

ATM, I say I'll probably go to NUIG, but maybe UCD.

I was quite young when I moved, 2nd class, but I am just terrible at Irish, I do Higher, but even so, I doubt I'll be counting it as one of my top 6, the reason I do Higher Irish is that its my back up if I don't get a distinction in LCVP :pac:

.................Maybe:p

ATM, I say I'll probably go to NUIG, but maybe UCD.

I was quite young when I moved, 2nd class, but I am just terrible at Irish, I do Higher, but even so, I doubt I'll be counting it as one of my top 6, the reason I do Higher Irish is that its my back up if I don't get a distinction in LCVP :pac:
    UCD is an NUI constituent university, they should accept the NUI exemption but I'd confirm it with them anyway.
    Here's a list: www.nui.ie/elections/docs/institutions.pdf

Jaysuss I only really started learning Irish in first year and I do ordinary cos I simply cannot learn off all the poems, essays and stories ****e. If I could like just do the higher listening and orals I would

Yeah........I really don't like it, it's a massive pain in the bud, I doubt I'll be doing higher by the end of the year. But seriously, thanks sooooooooo much, you have given me more information than my primary and secondary school ever did. It's like they don't want me to know there was a way of getting out of having to do Irish :)

• Advertisement

Yeah........I really don't like it, it's a massive pain in the bud, I doubt I'll be doing higher by the end of the year. But seriously, thanks sooooooooo much, you have given me more information than my primary and secondary school ever did. It's like they don't want me to know there was a way of getting out of having to do Irish :)
    No problem, I got some of that information from a conversation with the OP, you can thank him too :)
    Yeah they just want you to stick it out til LC, my teacher said nobody can be exempt! :eek: She's gonna kill me when I get an exemption :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarah96

What do people think of Ag science? Thinking about keeping it up for the lc but have heard its very difficult to get a good grade in?

Would I be better off picking chemistry? or maybe Biology even though I like Ag better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Sarah96 wrote: »
    What do people think of Ag science? Thinking about keeping it up for the lc but have heard its very difficult to get a good grade in?

Would I be better off picking chemistry? or maybe Biology even though I like Ag better

If you like ag science the most - pick ag science. :) You'll regret picking a subject just cause it might be 'easier to get a good grade in', if you don't like it.

Sarah96 wrote: »

Idk about ag science but generally people believe bio to be much easier than chemistry, chemistry does have a higher a grade stat. but the majority of people who do chemistry are hell bent on getting 625 points or medicine, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I'm doing Ag. Sc. and have got a bit of mixed feelings. I hate sciency subjects, but I come from a farming bacground and have quite an interest in it. I'm doing well in the likes of crops/animals, but the things like microbiology and others where there's lots of "buzz words" to learn off are fairly hard. The good thing is the project. Not only you get marks for it, you also learn on the way. I think it may depend a lot on your teacher. Ours is a farmer and tells us a lot about the reality. Like the more realistic weights of animals, real life scenarios etc. If a teacher would stick to the course only, than it maybe different.

It's all personal prefence really. I like it, you may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

I'm fairly happy with mine. I'm doing Latin, French, Geography, Maths, English and Biology (HL) and Irish (OL). I'm quite confident in Maths, Latin and French and the one I'm most worried about is English. Hoping for +520.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

I took business, geography, history, and chemistry. I'm notoriously bad at science-esque subjects such as chem, but there was no other option. :/

no choice with history either. it was between that and french/german, and i'm beyond horrid at foreign languages.

Thanks for the replies guys!

hmm apparently the ag science teacher in our schools not great.. but I suppose I could get some help outside school if needed

Have also decided that chemistrys definatley not for me as I can't really get my head around the bit we've done this year and its only a taster..

Thanks for the replies guys!

hmm apparently the ag science teacher in our schools not great.. but I suppose I could get some help outside school if needed

Have also decided that chemistrys definatley not for me as I can't really get my head around the bit we've done this year and its only a taster..

• Advertisement
Advertisement