Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coving

• 29-10-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Recently put up coving in the kitchen, however did not use any adhesive. I just screwed 2.5 inch screws to the plasterboard coving at 1.5 foot intervals to the platerboard ceiling and nailed 2.5 inch steel nails to the wall. Was this a bad idea? seems very sturdy and turned out a decent job,as all nails and srews are countersunk and well hidden with caulk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Better using fiillers as adhesive.Finish with damp sponge.Screws can cause rust stains if they are not galvanised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

repsol wrote: »
    Better using fiillers as adhesive.Finish with damp sponge.Screws can cause rust stains if they are not galvanised.

Also movement from walking around upstairs can cause slight movement in the screws and nails,and the coving may start to drop/pull away from the ceiling,leaving an unsightly hairline gap.

Also depends on the type of coving used,if its the heavy Gypsum plaster coving,then it will drop/sag,if just using nails.

Like you said,adhesive should be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cove Cobain

Thanks for the replies.Is the coving unlikely to fall down? Its Gypsum plaster. Previously used Gyproc adhesive in the sitting room, but found the long bits a disaster to put up on my own with the additional weight of the adhesive. In conclusion is what I did ie using no adhesive a total no no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Thanks for the replies.Is the coving unlikely to fall down? Its Gypsum plaster. Previously used Gyproc adhesive in the sitting room, but found the long bits a disaster to put up on my own with the additional weight of the adhesive. In conclusion is what I did ie using no adhesive a total no no?

Cant see it failing to the point where it will fall down. Might get a few hair line cracks along edges easily fixable with some filler, Dont worry:cool:
    Finishes a room off nicely doesnt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cove Cobain

Belated thanks Ronan, pretty happy with the results.

• Advertisement
Advertisement