Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Gmail scam?

Options
  • 29-10-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

I've had a Gmail account for years and use it daily so it's far from dormant. A few minutes ago my inbox beeped and I saw a missive from the "G'mail' (sic) Team";

It says "Dear Customer

With the increase in accounts daily, you are advised to update/verify that your account is still active. This will only takes a minute.Update Account Here [hyperlink] Please verify your account before 2nd November 23:27 PDT. Failure to do so will result in account suspension. Sorry for this inconvenience, we are trying to reduce the number of dormant accounts to serve you better.

Google Team"

Doesn't look kosher to me, anyone else get this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

RadioRetro wrote: »
    I've had a Gmail account for years and use it daily so it's far from dormant. A few minutes ago my inbox beeped and I saw a missive from the "G'mail' (sic) Team";

It says "Dear Customer

With the increase in accounts daily, you are advised to update/verify that your account is still active. This will only takes a minute.Update Account Here [hyperlink] Please verify your account before 2nd November 23:27 PDT. Failure to do so will result in account suspension. Sorry for this inconvenience, we are trying to reduce the number of dormant accounts to serve you better.

Google Team"

Doesn't look kosher to me, anyone else get this?

It's a phishing scam, never reply or click links in emails like this. If Google, Paypal or whichever company needs your input, they will ask you upon logging in, not via email!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

By the very nature of logging into your account, google knows your account is active.

If google needs your attention it will generate additional prompts between the time you log in and the time it places you at your inbox. eg. to set up 2-step verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Thought so. Just needed confirmation as this is a new one to me (the email account in work gets spammed frequently so I'm familiar with most phishing mails).

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

As overheal said, if you log onto your account, google knows it's not dormant, so this is definitely a scam.

some tips that might help you spot more scams:
    if you hover your mouse over the link in the email (don't click obviously) the status bar (at the bottom of your browser) will show you the address that the link will take you too. If that reads www.google.com.dodgyhost.cn/blahblah123blahetc it's defo a phishing email because the "dodgyhost.cn" is the registered domain name, anything before or after that can be made up by the owner, even using what looks like another web address.

You can also "show original message" which will show you technical details about what address it was sent from, and where it was routed through (though this can be faked)

Advertisement