Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administering tablets to a Cat

• 29-10-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Recently I have had a very poor puddy tat. He virtually stopped eating and was coughing up hairballs. Vet gave him an injection to boost his appetite and worked for a couple of days but he went down hill again after that. Initially the vet told me he had a heat mummer.

Took him back to vet and he was prescribed heart tablet. He has to go back in a few days to see if he will be on these for the rest of his life but it is likely. The vet gave him an injection to start it off and then after I have to give him half of this table on a daily basis. These tablets are really tiny but I am having a real problem giving them to him.

Has anyone got any suggestion as to how best I can administer these to my little precious boy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I wrap the cat up in a towel with only it's face exposed and push tablet into mouth and gently hold mouth shut and rub throat. If it's a greedy cat, try it with a treat, like a bit of mince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

This is how my vet showed me to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I get soft cheese like Philadelphia and coat the tablet with it. If that still doesnt work you could ask your vet about a pill popper, put the tablet in the top, put it in the mouth and push the plunger, its real quick and easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

I wrap the cat up in a towel with only it's face exposed and push tablet into mouth and gently hold mouth shut and rub throat. If it's a greedy cat, try it with a treat, like a bit of mince.

Used to use the towel trick when I was cutting his nails but he runs to a corner now when he sees me with a towel. So could not put him through this every day. Tried the treat thing, I cut up treats and stick the table inside, works usually but sometimes he susses that there is something odd inside and spits it out. Tried to just hold him and put it in this mouth and hold his mouth shut, he is so resistant and 50% of the time it get spat out. If this happened to the other cat, I would have no problem but it is really hard with him, he just will not take them. I have no problem forcing tablets to the cats if this was only the odd time but this may be everyday for the rest of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

See Capt Midnight's contribution below

How to Give A Cat a Pill...
    1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right fore-finger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve the freaking cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.

13) Tie the little bastard's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for RSPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How To Give A Dog A Pill:

1) Wrap it in bacon.

• Advertisement

I get soft cheese like Philadelphia and coat the tablet with it. If that still doesnt work you could ask your vet about a pill popper, put the tablet in the top, put it in the mouth and push the plunger, its real quick and easy!

Philadelphia might be an option as he loves cheese. Bit worried if he spits it out and the other cat might eat it. I will also ask my vet about one of those because I am getting really stressed giving these to him, he I am sure is getting even more stressed.

Have you tried grinding the tablet up into a fine powder and mixing with the cat's food?

mikehn wrote: »

1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right fore-finger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve the freaking cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.

13) Tie the little bastard's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for RSPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

1) Wrap it in bacon.

That is just brilliant, and so true.

Ziphius wrote: »
    Have you tried grinding the tablet up into a fine powder and mixing with the cat's food?

As I have two cats, can't risk the other cat eating it.

Can't you feed them separately? Alternatively try the method in the video above. It's not too difficult.

• Advertisement

Ziphius wrote: »
    Can't you feed them separately? Alternatively try the method in the video above. It's not too difficult.

Two person job in that vid. I need a one person method for a cat that can detect the slightest foreign object and spit it out. Can't feed them separately, could do if this was short term thing but this is a lifetime job, every day for the rest of his life. I know it sounds a simple thing but it really is difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I've recently been having to give my cat tablets too, and I do it as it's shown in the video. I hold her, lift her jaw open from the top, put the pill in, then hold her jaw shut until she swallows. I lift her jaw open again in the same manner to be sure the tablet is gone. It's very easy, takes less than a minute, and she doesn't seem traumatized by it at all. Good luck!

I've recently been having to give my cat tablets too, and I do it as it's shown in the video. I hold her, lift her jaw open from the top, put the pill in, then hold her jaw shut until she swallows. I lift her jaw open again in the same manner to be sure the tablet is gone. It's very easy, takes less than a minute, and she doesn't seem traumatized by it at all. Good luck!

Did that with him for three days and two of them after holding him for about 15 mins after putting the tablet in twice, he still spat it out. The vat gave me a syringe to put in water to force him to swallow but you need more than two hand for that. I have had cats for over thirty years and never had such a stubborn cat before in terms of taking tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Everytime our cats need to be given tablets we just grind them up to powder with the back of a spoon and then you just mix this with a small bit of butter and rub it on their paws, they have to lick it off.

It works a treat, one of the cats doesn't mind as she loves butter and would eat practically anything but the other lad is very fussy and I have found this is only way to administer any medication that is needed for them.

PlainP wrote: »
    Everytime our cats need to be given tablets we just grind them up to powder with the back of a spoon and then you just mix this with a small bit of butter and rub it on their paws, they have to lick it off.

It works a treat, one of the cats doesn't mind as she loves butter and would eat practically anything but the other lad is very fussy and I have found this is only way to administer any medication that is needed for them.

Ohh, the butter sounds like a fine idea, he loves butter. Try that tomorrow and let you know how I get on. If this was short term thing, I would have no problem forcing him to have them but cannot put him through forcing it every day for the rest of his life. Don't know who is more stressed, me or him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just make sure that the tablet can be ground up, some of them become deactivated if you do this. Also make sure weight gain isnt a side effect of the tablets if you are using butter or cheese. We used cheese when my cat was on steroids and she put on a kg since July. Now shes on hormone treatment and she just takes the tablet from my hand as though it was a treat. Obviously tastes nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've heard people recommend crushing the tablet and mixing it into a jar of baby food. Might be worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I used to have to give my cats tablets daily. Tried the old 'wrapped in cheese' trick. Didn't work too long with my girl. She got wise to that very quickly! For the rest of her life, she wouldn't touch cheese as she thought there would be a tablet in it!

So I just used the Route One method:

Grab cat unawares. Have the tablet ready.
    Open cat's mouth quickly.
    Chuck tablet down throat as far as it'll go.
    Close mouth, keep closed and stroke cat's throat to make him swallow.
    Give cat some ham to make up for it. Preferably Denny's, although Lidl's is an acceptable substitute. DO NOT OFFER TESCO'S HAM!!!
    Hide yourself in shame as cat throws glares in your direction for the rest of the day.

With the dog? Like Captain Midnight says: Wrap in bacon or ham. He doesn't care which!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

You can get a pill popper in the pet shop or vets. It's like a syringe with a clasp on the top. So you put cat in between your legs while you are kneeling on the floor. Hold the top of the head and push the lower jaw down a slight bit, enough to put the tip of the pill pusher in and just push down the plunger. The pill pops into the back of the throat and the action forces them to swallow.

1) Wrap it in bacon.

I'm in tears of laughter reading this! Classic!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I wouldn't crush into food with something so important - you could end up wasting a fortune in tablets, and anytime I've tried it the cat will only eat a portion of it and gets only part of the dose. Some medications taste very bitter and no matter what you mix it with, a cat won't touch it.
    For a start I would see if you can get a lower dose in one tablet, so that you don't have to give a half. Half tablets are much harder to swallow, and you don't get so many tries if the cat spits it, as it melts quicker.
    I have some seriously stubborn cats here too - the trick is to get the pill far enough back, if they catch it on the tongue it's hopeless. It can help to dunk the pill in a little bit of cod liver oil or butter first, to help it slide down.
    Have a really tasty treat ready to give straight afterwards, so that he'll learn he gets something nice when you come after him every day to give the pill.

planetX wrote: »
    I wouldn't crush into food with something so important - you could end up wasting a fortune in tablets, and anytime I've tried it the cat will only eat a portion of it and gets only part of the dose. Some medications taste very bitter and no matter what you mix it with, a cat won't touch it.
    For a start I would see if you can get a lower dose in one tablet, so that you don't have to give a half. Half tablets are much harder to swallow, and you don't get so many tries if the cat spits it, as it melts quicker.
    I have some seriously stubborn cats here too - the trick is to get the pill far enough back, if they catch it on the tongue it's hopeless. It can help to dunk the pill in a little bit of cod liver oil or butter first, to help it slide down.
    Have a really tasty treat ready to give straight afterwards, so that he'll learn he gets something nice when you come after him every day to give the pill.

Your worries are similar to mine, tried it once and he ate around it, the other cat was banished which I watched him so closely that he must have thought I was stalking him. Might see if i can get the does in a single tablet as I have to break the tables in half to give him and therefore he would be able to taste it more. I try to convince myself that he knows that I am helping him but this I guess is only for my benefit. Before he had these tablets, he would just fall over, shake his head and fall over, jump up on couch and somersault.

I am going to try the butter thing tomorrow as I have this in the press, might give the cod liver oil a try also if this does not work. I cannot risk putting it in his food for a) if he does not eat it all and 2) his sister eating it.

I have grabbed him by the scruff of his neck, prised his mouth open, forced the tablet in, and still he spits it out, over and over again. I also don't want to cause him any more stress then is absolutely necessary, he does not understand after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

brrabus wrote: »

I have grabbed him by the scruff of his neck, prised his mouth open, forced the tablet in, and still he spits it out. I also don't want to cause him any more stress then is absolutely necessary, he does not understand after all.

by the scruff won't work. Kneel on the floor with the cat between your legs, facing away from you. As you open his mouth make sure you bring his head right back, and aim for the back of the throat. The vital bit is dropping the pill in the right spot, you have to get right back behind the tongue. Then hold his mouth shut, let his head down a little bit so he can swallow. Mind you, I've held one of my cats in this position for 15 minutes and she still refused to swallow....

It's worth asking about different forms of the medicine. Often vets will only have the dog version - and that's why you end up giving half pills to cats. Look on the web to see if the manufacturer make different doses.

planetX wrote: »
    by the scruff won't work. Kneel on the floor with the cat between your legs, facing away from you. As you open his mouth make sure you bring his head right back, and aim for the back of the throat. The vital bit is dropping the pill in the right spot, you have to get right back behind the tongue. Then hold his mouth shut, let his head down a little bit so he can swallow. Mind you, I've held one of my cats in this position for 15 minutes and she still refused to swallow....

It's worth asking about different forms of the medicine. Often vets will only have the dog version - and that's why you end up giving half pills to cats. Look on the web to see if the manufacturer make different doses.

I would be lucky if I could get him in that position, he is not a big cat but he is a right wriggler. Your advice is much appreciated however as I really struggling with this and it is something I have to do everyday. I have tried so many methods. Presently I am cutting treats in half with a paring knife, scooping out the inside, inserting the tablet hoping that he does not notice. Works 3 out of 5 times but takes ages. Also have to watch him 100% to make sure he takes it. I know some people would think that I am nuts but he has to have them and I am responsible for him.

No idea who makes them but they are called Prednisolone. The vet is really nice so if he can get them in a small does I am sure he will. Don't think I would buy from the net for fear of them not being the real thing. The day after his injection, I got a call from his wife at 8 in the morning making sure he was ok as they were also worried about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭glaswegian

1) Wrap it in bacon.

i think i just peed myself reading that:D and the cat is staring at me like i'm some sort of headcase.

glaswegian wrote: »
    i think i just peed myself reading that:D and the cat is staring at me like i'm some sort of headcase.

I know how you feel, I was laughing so much there were tears coming from my eyes and I had cramps, almost wet myself. Absolutely hilarious, anyone who has cats will relate. :D

Tried the butter trick this morning, did not work. Then tried another tablet in yogurt which he absolutely loves. Would not eat. These tablets really must taste yuck and he also must have a fantastic sense of smell. Forced a third table into him which I hated doing but really had no choice, stock is depleting rapidly due to wastage.

You'll have to go Route One then. Wrap the cat up in a towel or blanket. Make sure his paws can't come out. Put the cat between your knees and give him the tablet that way. Give him a treat after. I used to go that way with my boy. Threatened him with the towel if he didn't behave! I have to say, most of the time he was pretty good, and I only used the towel a few times...

I got so good at giving the tablets, the vet even complimented me on my technique, which was nice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Would highly recommend the syringe thingy that fires the tablet down the kitty's throat. I have given tablets to an eejit of a cat I took in and he is so trusting, he just took it 3 times a day for a month!!!

My sister's cat however, is a challenge and having been convinced that I got the tabs into her, a small pile of them were found on my sister's return. The pill popper was the job for this cat and I suspect this is the road you will have to go. Your vet should be able to get one for you. Good luck!!

• Advertisement

Think you're right, the pill popper might be the only way to go, he holds them in his mouth also like your sisters cat and then spits them out. I will pop round to the vets today (also need more tablets sooner than I thought due to failed attempts) and see if he can get one in. If this was my other cat I would be having no problems but it is really difficult with him.

One thing I have learned from this mornings episodes, not a hope in hell that he will take them if they are crushed up.

Advertisement