Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waterford house prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I had to post this up. Too funny. Apartment for sale in Canada square in town.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=680645

It's OWN FRONT DOOR! Plus a bathroom with a bath and a shower room with a shower!

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Sadly many Apartments dont have there own front door or bath tub ,so it has to be stated .Maybe it should also be stated that you are liable to have people from the Council waiting list as neighbours in the near future also .;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I suppose the people who were rushing to buy them would be renting to the council for people on the housing list! ah sure we just have to get on with it and put our shoulder to the wheel, either that or duck and cover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I often thought is strange why that area isn't better regarded than it is. It's near town, newish housing stock, waterside location and near the park.

Just looking on Daft there, It has to be said there is real value out there couldnt believe some of the prices, I was watching the news today and they were saying theres a huge increase in mortgages being drawn down, 600,000,000 worth of mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Well spank i might be overly harsh here, but i think its the more gullible of the populous that are rushing now coz of the tax relief that's about to run out.
    Im gonna keep an eye on the 'sale agreed' waterford houses on daft and see how many fall through.
    Waterford in particular is in a bad way. Prospects for the local economy look really bleak. This week alone aer lingus pulling 3 daily flights out of here come January and the hospital looking like being downsized with up to 1000 jobs taken out of the city.
    You put factors like these into the mix for local house prices and there is only one conclusion. They ain't stabilizing for quite a while.
    Keep yer powder dry.

• Advertisement

I know i know That was me being optimistic.

march on saturday 12.00pm at ballybricken to try and keep our hospital as is. never attended one of these yokes before but am gonna go to this one. apparently you bring a shirt (that you dont need anymore) and fire it onto a big pile at the end of the march. these then are sent to the dept of health with the slogan of 'taking the shirts of our backs'. like it.
    I'll be there.
    hope some of you readers that can will be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

I was wondering about the houses in Ferrybank, Daft seems to have quite a lot advertised at low enough prices, is that because the area didn't take off as hoped or maybe they're not too well built? Don't know much about the place tbh, is traffic getting to Waterford city bad? I know the bridge is up sometimes, but not that often afaik?

Also wondering about the (many!) new houses on the "Old Tramore Road" are they decent? And the area, I went to view a house nearby a few years just to rent and maybe it was a coincedence/I got a worse impression than reality but it felt a bit rough to me?

well in ferrybank a huge shopping centre was built but never opened. dont know much about the quality of the houses over there but i'm fairly sure that supply way exceeds demand which would explain low prices.
    old tramore road...not somewhere i'd live but parts of it are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

kuang1 wrote: »
    An example (albeit an extreme one) of how estate agents see the general public as ignorant, uneducated sheep.
    EAs are the bottom of the barrel bar none.

your maybe a tad confused between what an Estate Agent, an auctioneer and a chartered surveyor actually are.

having worked in the industry i can tell you dealing with the public was an absolute nightmare.
    people often have the misconception that the auctioneer is working for the buyer, but they work for the vendor and take instructions at all times from the vendor, the auctioneer is the middle man in the process.
    people say they were gazumped and the likes by auctioneers when usually it was the vendor doing the gazumping, being greedy etc. and the auctioneer was just following instruction.
    there were purchasers putting down deposits, putting in false offers with no intention of seeing through a sale, withdrawing offers etc... thats where a lot of the stories came from, "oh i had an offer in on such and such a house and the auctioneer came back to me saying he had a counter offer trying to squeeze more money from me etc etc etc..." when an auctioneer receives an offer on a property he informs the vendor and then every other interested party, if he receives any counter offers he has to take them in good faith eventhough a lot of the time it was just people messing around because they could mess around. i was saying it with years that the whole industry needed to be regulated. it became too easy for people to make offers that werent binding, agree a sale, pull out of it for no reason and receive their full deposit back...if something had been put in place it would have cut out a lot of messing.
    its all too easy to blame auctioneers. people love having someone or something to blame when they dont get what they want. if people knew what went on in the industry or had to work for a week in an auctioneers shoes i can guarantee you they would change their attitude.
    money was thrown at little upstarts who suddenly thought they were the dogs b*ollox because they had a few pound to spend and by god did they spend it, now these very people blame everyone and anything for their debts and misfortune but heaven forbid theyd actually blame themselves!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

your maybe a tad confused between what an Estate Agent, an auctioneer and a chartered surveyor actually are.

having worked in the industry i can tell you dealing with the public was an absolute nightmare.

Have you ever stopped to think about what it's like for the buyer dealing with the EA?
    people often have the misconception that the auctioneer is working for the buyer, but they work for the vendor and take instructions at all times from the vendor, the auctioneer is the middle man in the process.

There is no misconception - believe me!
    there were purchasers putting down deposits, putting in false offers with no intention of seeing through a sale, withdrawing offers etc... thats where a lot of the stories came from, "oh i had an offer in on such and such a house and the auctioneer came back to me saying he had a counter offer trying to squeeze more money from me etc etc etc..." when an auctioneer receives an offer on a property he informs the vendor and then every other interested party, if he receives any counter offers he has to take them in good faith eventhough a lot of the time it was just people messing around because they could mess around.

My parents moved house in 2008. They rented for around a year and they said it was a nightmare dealing with some auctioneers. Some were really, really good though. They mentioned a girl called Andrea who worked for Barry Murphy and she was really professional and top drawer. Ultra reliable and very honest.

If you want to talk about stories:

They viewed one house coming to Christmas that year. It was on at €220k. Parents were watching the market closely and offered €175k (a lowball offer at the time). Your man wasn't impressed and told them "if this lady doesn't get €200k I'll be telling her to put it on the rental market". They told him to go ahead as they couldn't tell someone what to do with a house that they owned!

The second story concerned a bid. They told an auctioneer to bid €205k for a house. He came back and told them he had bid €210k!

Last story was when they went to view a house and the auctioneer told them he could't make it at the last minute. He said they could proceed with the viewing. When they turned up it turned out there was some dispute between the owner and the banks, with the tenants caught in the middle.
    its all too easy to blame auctioneers. people love having someone or something to blame when they dont get what they want. if people knew what went on in the industry or had to work for a week in an auctioneers shoes i can guarantee you they would change their attitude.

From the examples above you can see it is justified in many instances.
    money was thrown at little upstarts who suddenly thought they were the dogs b*ollox because they had a few pound to spend and by god did they spend it, now these very people blame everyone and anything for their debts and misfortune but heaven forbid theyd actually blame themselves!!

A very poor generalisation there. Yes, some did behave like that and are now paying the price. But in the main the people caught in the negative equity trap were young couples and families just trying to put a home around themselves - and are now trapped in an economic hell.

My parents? They waited twelve months and got a house which was - at the time - over 40% below market value (not a repo I hasten to add - they wouldn't buy one). They estimated that real time information on the Internet saved them over €100k.

For the first time in a long time the ordinary citizen had one over the auctioneers (or whatever you choose to describe them as).

well in ferrybank a huge shopping centre was built but never opened. dont know much about the quality of the houses over there but i'm fairly sure that supply way exceeds demand which would explain low prices.
    old tramore road...not somewhere i'd live but parts of it are ok.

Ferrybank was supposed to have 4,000 homes built there - ergo the shopping centre. It was an attempt to do it right by having the infrastructure in place before the houses and not the other way round.

7upfree wrote: »
    Ferrybank was supposed to have 4,000 homes built there - ergo the shopping centre. It was an attempt to do it right by having the infrastructure in place before the houses and not the other way round.
    yeah fair enough 7up. dont think anyone's disputing that. i was referring to the current status of housing in ferrybank. supply exceeds demand right now is what i was saying.

er...no.
    people say they were gazumped and the likes by auctioneers when usually it was the vendor doing the gazumping, being greedy etc. and the auctioneer was just following instruction.
    yes because its not as if EAs work on commission and are interested in a higher selling price for that reason or anything like that. oh no no no.
    i for one am under no illusions about which best interests the EA has at heart. you're right, its the seller all the way. my issue with them is how they carry out their work with such a lack of conscience.
    a generalisation i know. i'm sure there are some (small few) half decent/honest EAs out there....i just havent met them. so i've concluded that it is in MY best interest to assume that all EAs are out to squeeze as much money out of the buyer as possible.(regardless of whether its their own decision or vendor's instruction)
    and i can hear you from here manfromcheese...'BUT THATS THEIR JOB!!!'
    yes. so them doing a 'good job' costs me (the potential buyer) a significant amount of money. hence they are 'the enemy' as it were. get it now?!

work for a week in an auctioneers shoes? does that get me 12 virgins waitin for me afertwards?!

like 7up said thats a gross generalisation. for the record i have never owned property. nor has anyone close to me got 'stung' by what happened in the last 10 years hence no emotional investment in anything im saying here.
    delighted that you've come out with this manfromcheese tho coz it provokes thought/conversation and always good to get other perspectives.
    dont agree with very much of what you've said tho.

yeah fair enough 7up. dont think anyone's disputing that. i was referring to the current status of housing in ferrybank. supply exceeds demand right now is what i was saying.
    Oh yeah! There's a long way to go yet.

anyone notice how according to the CSO 'July,August and September saw rises in the irish property market'.
    yet the adjustment for asking prices in waterford city in that time was a drop of -9.3% (source daft report on q3 by Padraic Kenna)
    http://www.daft.ie/report/Daft-House-Price-Report-Q3-2012.pdf
    this makes me think that waterford property in particular is in for a freefall in the next 6 months (regardless of what the budget brings re: MIR)
    trying not to be biased about this but this IS NOT THE TIME TO BUY IN WATERFORD!
    (job losses to date...flights being pulled from the airport in january...hospital services under threat...IT MAKES NO SENSE TO BUY NOW!)

and dont be fooled about the spin up to now about the MIR relief running out in december. it may be allowed to expire, but if it does it will be replaced by a similar scheme...i know this to be true.

By the way where ever you go make sure you go on the tinternet and check the RADON levels of the area you plan to live in, If i hadda known what i know now i would never have bought a house here, I probably would never have moved to Waterford, how they got away with building houses in areas with such high radon levels is beyond me I feel very much ripped off and as for the quality of the building work of new homes?? Radon as you may or may not know causes lung cancer.

By the way where ever you go make sure you go on the tinternet and check the RADON levels of the area you plan to live in, If i hadda known what i know now i would never have bought a house here, I probably would never have moved to Waterford, how they got away with building houses in areas with such high radon levels is beyond me I feel very much ripped off and as for the quality of the building work of new homes?? Radon as you may or may not know causes lung cancer.

yes read your post yesterday spank ta. any good sites for that?

Radiological society of Ireland, although i think that site is more to do with X rays and craic like that, Just google Radon tests and theres a radon map on the site that highlights high areas.

New houses shouldnt be too bad as they are suppose to have Radon Barriers, this only reduces the amount not stop it, and some have radon sumps ready to drop in your fan to take gas away from house, but you need to have your house tested for the gas first by the Irish radiological society costs 50 euro and they send you 2 sensors for 3 months and post it back to them.

Never ever ever would have bought a house had i have known, never would have come back here for sure! im very surprised the amount of waterford people who dont know about this or turn a blind eye to it!

Sorry I also forgot to say that my house is in a very high radon gas area and we have extra large air vents on our house which make this house absolutely freezing i mean its so bad that my partner is always sick as are my kids ive had to swap the sides of the bed from to the window side cos my partner thinks that the open vent is causing the problem and it is cos its freezing.

But you cant block vents that leads to guess what? radon build up so its either freeze your ass off in your lovely new home that youve paid mad money for or get lung cancer!

http://www.rpii.ie/Your-Environment/Radon-and-your-environment.aspx

• Advertisement

jeez thats rough spank.
    as well as monitoring the radon, my own feeling is that i would do away with those vents entirely (fukk regulations) and open every window in the house simultaneously for 3 hours at a time twice a week...regardless of weather/time of year. that's how i remember my mum doing it growing up (granted before anything was known about radon and co2 and the like) and see how that managed the radon levels.
    (i can appreciate not everyone might like the notion of every shred of heat leaving the house twice a week in the middle of wintertime, but i've discussed this with my other half (who feels the cold easily) and have agreed that when we do buy a place eventually, i'll do it at times when i'm home alone. happily!)
    those fukking vents are an absolute thorn in the side of anyone trying to make a cosy home for themselves if you ask me.
    air the place yourself if your willing and block up those bastarding things!!!

(p.s.i will openly admit that i do have strong feelings about the evolvement of the health and safety culture in the last 10 years in particular. some of it necessary and a positive development no doubt, but an awful lot of it is just guff, bureaucratic bullsh.t and a means by which a lot of these health and safety 'professionals' keep themselves and their buddies in employment while making every day life for the rest of us increasingly tedious.)

Nah id well and truly watch it with this radon stuff!

I would open the windows aswell every so often to get the dust out and let the our blow through thats a give isnt it! but i wouldnt block up the vents! I have a slide on the vent to open and close them and i might open and close them when it gets just too damn cold.

radon sumps guys is yer only solution

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Iveee

Kuang1
    Re: vents
    Building Regs.
    Adequate means of ventilation shall be provided for peoplein buildings. This shall be achieved by
    a) Limiting the moisture content of the air within thebuilding so that it does not contribute to condensation and mould growth, and
    b) Limiting the concentration of harmful pollutants in theair within the building.

Tip.
    A. Geta louver vent cover and fit it upside, It is unlikely you will feel it as draught badthen

B. Youcould fit trickle vents to windows and do away with the wall vents altogether.

I have completed a few of retro fitting of radon sump inhouses with high radon readings.
    Manfromcheese is spot on radon sump is onlyway to go.

Iveee wrote: »
    Kuang1
    Re: vents
    Building Regs.
    Adequate means of ventilation shall be provided for peoplein buildings. This shall be achieved by
    a) Limiting the moisture content of the air within thebuilding so that it does not contribute to condensation and mould growth, and
    b) Limiting the concentration of harmful pollutants in theair within the building.

Tip.
    A. Geta louver vent cover and fit it upside, It is unlikely you will feel it as draught badthen

B. Youcould fit trickle vents to windows and do away with the wall vents altogether.

I have completed a few of retro fitting of radon sump inhouses with high radon readings.
    Manfromcheese is spot on radon sump is onlyway to go.
    So is the sump a permanent solution? What kind of finance are we talking for a proper job done?
    Surely a dehumidifier is a vital component in any Irish house? Mine gets daily use during winter

I think the first thing he has to do is get the house tested for radon from the RPII

Thats your first step, in order to reduce radon you have to see how much it is in your house, If your house was built 20 or 30 years ago it probably doesnt have a radon barrier which reduces the amount of radon in your home it doesnt stop it, it reduces it,

I was quoted recently for radon work if you want to PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I know a guy had the same problem, plus no money he cut two sumps in his floor fitted two very small electric fans and vented them outside, all on time clocks, so only running twice a day for a few minutes total cost was under two hundred euro excluding his labour, he eradicated the high radon readings in his house within three months.

radon is as bad as cigarette smoke and asbestos, people dont realise how deadly it actually is and waterford is a hot spot for it. for the sake of a couple of hundred euro its worth getting a reading done and if needs be installing a sump. for newer houses fitted with a radon barrier i wouldnt have much faith in them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

There was a big campaign encouraging people in Waterford to test for Radon not so long ago. I did the test in my house and it came back saying the house was fine there were no radon levels to worry about. I wonder how many did the tests and what the results were.

• Advertisement
Advertisement