If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 and Receiver

Options
  • 29-10-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a cheap 5.1 and receiver set-up, was looking at the Yamaha 196 which would suit my needs (will be using if with a HD TV, PS3 and Sky+HD) and falls nicely under my €300 budget, but from talking to a few people I think I am better off getting as good a receiver as I can get and then maybe upgrade my speakers down the line if I feel the need. So would I better off going for the Pioneer VSX 322 and SHS 100 combination ?

Anything else you recommend or is there any other deals/special offers going on ?

Thanks,

Davy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Davy.Sorry for the late reply. We are playing catchup at the mo due to the fallout of the digital switch over.The Yamaha system is certainly very good value for money but it is only Dolby Digital and DTS and therefore does not decode HD audio from bluray etc.I personally would recommend looking at the Pioneer pack that you mentioned as this is a much better amplifier and the speakers are really good value for money.In saying that, we have a Yamaha NSP20 which is £129.95 and with the Pioneer receiver, this is the best combination as the NSP speakers are much larger and a lot more capable than the little Pioneer ones.I know this may blow the budget but it's definately worth the extra.Let me know what you think.ATBDave

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DavyC2

Hi Davy.Sorry for the late reply. We are playing catchup at the mo due to the fallout of the digital switch over.The Yamaha system is certainly very good value for money but it is only Dolby Digital and DTS and therefore does not decode HD audio from bluray etc.I personally would recommend looking at the Pioneer pack that you mentioned as this is a much better amplifier and the speakers are really good value for money.In saying that, we have a Yamaha NSP20 which is £129.95 and with the Pioneer receiver, this is the best combination as the NSP speakers are much larger and a lot more capable than the little Pioneer ones.I know this may blow the budget but it's definately worth the extra.Let me know what you think.ATBDave

Good man Dave, thanks for getting back to me.

See ? You have me upgrading my speakers already and I didn't even get them yet :-)

Could you give me euro price on the VSX 322 and NSP20 posted to Co. Kildare please.

Is there any advantage in going with a Yamaha receiver to match the speakers ? What would Yamaha's equivalent receiver be ? What's the difference between the Yamaha 196 and the 298 packages ?

Sorry for all the questions :-)

Thanks,

Davy .

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

DavyC2 wrote: »
    Good man Dave, thanks for getting back to me.

See ? You have me upgrading my speakers already and I didn't even get them yet :-)

Could you give me euro price on the VSX 322 and NSP20 posted to Co. Kildare please.

Is there any advantage in going with a Yamaha receiver to match the speakers ? What would Yamaha's equivalent receiver be ? What's the difference between the Yamaha 196 and the 298 packages ?

Sorry for all the questions :-)

Thanks,

Davy .

Hi Davy,

Apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

The Euro price for the Pioneer and Yamaha delivered would be €419.33 :)

The alternative would be the Yamaha RXV 373 currently priced at £219.00. This has a good bit more to it over the Pioneer. Such as a USB input on the front for connecting an Ipod/Iphone.

Here's a link to the Yamaha:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv373/yama-rxv373-blk

Do you mean the 398? If so there is a few differences between the 196 and 398:

398 has an active sub. The 196 has a passive.
    More inputs on the 398 (4 HDMI in and 1 out + USB and component)
    The 398 will also pass through DTS HD where the 196 doesn't.

Here's a link to the 398:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/yamaha/yht398/yama-yht398

Hope this helps.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DavyC2

Hi Davy,

Apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

The Euro price for the Pioneer and Yamaha delivered would be €419.33 :)

The alternative would be the Yamaha RXV 373 currently priced at £219.00. This has a good bit more to it over the Pioneer. Such as a USB input on the front for connecting an Ipod/Iphone.

Here's a link to the Yamaha:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv373/yama-rxv373-blk

Do you mean the 398? If so there is a few differences between the 196 and 398:

398 has an active sub. The 196 has a passive.
    More inputs on the 398 (4 HDMI in and 1 out + USB and component)
    The 398 will also pass through DTS HD where the 196 doesn't.

Here's a link to the 398:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/yamaha/yht398/yama-yht398

Hope this helps.

Chris

O.k. thanks for that, no I was actually on about the 298, I thought I saw it on your site but it must have been on the Yamaha one http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-298_black_l/?mode=model.

I don't need it for another month or so, so I'll hold off and see if anything else pops up, if not I'll go for the VSX 322 and the NSP20.

Thanks again.

Davy

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.