Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are YOU going in life?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Life is a fickled thing...In my lifetime I've come across many crossroads and at times I threw my hands up in the air and just think "fook it". Just when you think things which, at that point in your life are important, fade and at a later stage you realise ...that the things you thought were important, do not deserve anymore energy than you initially thought were worthy. When I turn 70 (hopefully), I will always know that we never do stop learning. As hard and at times as fooked up life becomes, there is and has to be so called "light at the end of the tunnel". Life deals crazy hands at the best of times, its up to us to play it with a bit of a bluff and just put some (if not all) to chance..

So, I'm going to keep heading in the direction on the path that is life and..."I haven't a clue what it will present to me, but it is up to me to offer a happy conclusion"....regardless...we are in control of our future, even though at times, it breaks out heart just to find the strength to continue..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Always just wanted to be a simple pilot but things have been slightly erratic for me the last few years with work closing down and funding for flight training drying up a few times. But anyway I'm in my early 20's have an eye on a job far away from Ireland that I'm hopefull I'll get. And then I'll just settle in and enjoy life and make marriage/kids/mortgage decisions in my mid to late thirties.
    If I don't get that job I'm bollixed though and will turn to a life of crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

going forward I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

The Canaries. Happy days.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Right now I love where I am so I don't particularly want to go anywhere! I love my main job, am happy enough in my weekend job, have great friends and an even better family. I've a degree which has resulted in me doing what I love but I guess I would like to further my education if I had the chance. But obviously it will all change eventually, I can only hope that whatever happens in the future will result in me being as happy as I am now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Always wanted to travel around Australia and go back to college to study a course I've wanted to do since a teenager.

Spent a year and a half in Australia and I'm about to finish my degree course in May, so I'll probably be having a nervous breakdown around then not knowing what to do with my life.

Suggestions please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Baftycrastard

4 years of med left then 5 of dent, work as dent for 3 then go do max fax at Rcsi. Work as max fax surgeon, open dental clinics using money. Get rich or die trying pull birds fuaaarrrrkkkk, life is good, #ontrack

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

4 years of med left then 5 of dent, work as dent for 3 then go do max fax at Rcsi. Work as max fax surgeon, open dental clinics using money. Get rich or die trying pull birds fuaaarrrrkkkk, life is good, #ontrack
    seems like a lot of work to repair fax machines.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    seems like a lot of work to repair fax machines.

I genuinely don't understand what you're saying here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I'm starting a new job, one I have wanted to do for sometime.

After that just save enough to live comfortably and travel as much as I can basically.

Boring I know but unless I win the lotto that's pretty much it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

I suffer from depression, and have an alcohol problem which I'm currently trying to deal with.Both of which led me to drop out of college. I am on the dole again now for the 2nd time in my life and I'm still only 20, I get the minimum payment because I live at home. I obviously enough dont have a job, but any I have had pay/working conditions were borderline illegal. Who knew you could be paid 2.50 under the minimum wage and it still be technically legal.

All my friends are in college so I've nothing to do midweek. So far I've kept my cool and not gave into drink midweek. I've no girlfriend even though I'd like one right now. I dont drive because I cant afford car/insurance. I live in a rural area so theres **** all on. I've had crazy incidents with drink and probably I'm lucky I was never seriously injured or worse.

I'd say my life is going nowhere or to a bad place. To be honest I think I'll probably end up dead or in prison by 30. It feels like I already am. Sorry just needed to vent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Gonna finish college first and then I wanna work in Pfizer :D I wanna get really rich off the money that people spend on their over-priced life-saving medication :D

I suffer from depression, and have an alcohol problem which I'm currently trying to deal with.Both of which led me to drop out of college. I am on the dole again now for the 2nd time in my life and I'm still only 20, I get the minimum payment because I live at home. I obviously enough dont have a job, but any I have had pay/working conditions were borderline illegal. Who knew you could be paid 2.50 under the minimum wage and it still be technically legal.

All my friends are in college so I've nothing to do midweek. So far I've kept my cool and not gave into drink midweek. I've no girlfriend even though I'd like one right now. I dont drive because I cant afford car/insurance. I live in a rural area so theres **** all on. I've had crazy incidents with drink and probably I'm lucky I was never seriously injured or worse.

I'd say my life is going nowhere or to a bad place. To be honest I think I'll probably end up dead or in prison by 30. It feels like I already am. Sorry just needed to vent.

you're only 20 brah, get yourself together, jou can do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I hope you can get help for your depression and drinking problem.

You're still young. Plenty of time to do college, get a car, a girlfriend etc. Sort yourself out first!

You don't have to follow the same route as everyone else. If it takes you longer to get there, so what?! (I'm saying this as someone who didn't have her first boyfriend till she was 22, went back to do the course she wanted at 26, and still can't drive! :pac: )

Best of luck!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Larianne wrote: »

You're still young. Plenty of time to do college, get a car, a girlfriend etc. Sort yourself out first!

You don't have to follow the same route as everyone else. If it takes you longer to get there, so what?! (I'm saying this as someone who didn't have her first boyfriend till she was 22, went back to do the course she wanted at 26, and still can't drive! :pac: )

Totally agree,didn't go to college myself until i was 22 and was the same as the op before i started.Life works itself out once you give it a little push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Alcohol is a serious depressant and will do nothing but worsen your situation drastically. I would target that first, go to your doctor, AA, family, friends even send me a PM if you just need to talk to someone about it.

I think breaking your situation down into manageable chunks is the answer and quitting drink is a good start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

Larianne wrote: »

Thanks for the kind words :)

Yeh I am young, I hope I can make something of myself and not continue to drift to rock bottom. I feel on some level my depression and drink problem are intertwined. I get depressed that things always seem to go wrong. I usually end up drinking in excess to block out those problems. Then the depression etc gets worse. I have to say it really is a vicious cycle, I feel for others with similar issues.

I'm hoping to give up drink for November, mainly due to the physical and mental affects it seems to be having on me. Hopefully I can do it, its something to aim for. I'm considering going to my GP again see if I can get some sort of help.

Its funny when I think drink will ease the problems. The fact I have a reputation as a loudmouth alco probably has hindered my attempts at getting a girlfriend. I also cant get lend any cash to start driving because people believe I will drink drive. Their probably right sadly. Probably should have posted this in PI but the thread title brought it flooding home.

I always thought I'd be dead before I was 40. I said in a previous post that i met "crossroads", and that junction I met many times. My heart goes out to ya...I genuinely thought I wouldn't see past 40. I honestly didn't think I'd "have more lives than a cat". But, do ya know something? I did... I can't tall ya it gets better, moreso, I cant tell ya it works out.

But I do realise that, no matter what life decides to throw at me, no matter how many times it caused me to stand back and say "WTF"...I had to, as do we all...just say "fook it"...as hard as it gets, it does, get soo much better....seriously, it does...it gets better lad....life is worth living....i can't find the words to finish this post but to say "Everybody hurts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Just wanna repeat what previous posters have said, you're young- no matter how difficult things get you can always change them round.
    I'll be honest, I thought I had no future when I became pregnant very young. And people around me thought the same. Thought my education was over, was destined to be on welfare for life and that was it. I didn't want that so I decided to change it. I continued with my leaving cert, started college, got a job to help me through college then once I got my degree I got a job doing what I love.
    Only you can change it round. Circumstances may make it a little more difficult to get where you wanna be but if you want it you'll get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Believe me lad, life does get better. I sould know. Been there, hat, tee-shirt, the lot. Keep your head up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

I will be dead before the years out, there is no other option now at this stage.

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    I will be dead before the years out, .

I hope you're not! I haven't a clue who you and I know where you're coming from... You are now one of the few people that I allow enter my prayers lad....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I will be dead before the years out, there is no other option now at this stage.

I'm really, really sorry to hear that :(:(:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

This thread has taken quite a dark turn :( I hope that Tom and anyone feeling low will talk to someone and get some support.

As for me, my life seems to go through 5 year blocks. I've been living in London for 2 years after moving here on a whim and have no plans to move on any time soon.

I like my job but am considering doing an OU course next year to expand my educational horizons.

Hopefully the rest will fall into place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

http://youtu.be/2L_cGjQSR80

just came across this today and thought it was fitting for this thread.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭3GAINSBOROUGH

I am a 35 year old Irish man living in Ireland. Never married, no kids, no mortgage. I have my freedom.
    But like many my options realistically are; jail, dole, death, or emigration.
    At the moment I am planning to ride out the economic bust years of recession on the dole. I figure it may take another 5 years or so of the bust to cycle into economic boom again.
    My plans of getting married, having kids, and paying a mortgage seem unrealistic in the current climate. Many of my friends and family have emigrated to Australia and the UK to escape the recession here.
    I would like to make plans, but I feel like I can't without secure employment prospects for the future.
    I often wonder will I just rent for the rest of my life here? I can't see myself starting a 25 year mortgage at 40 say. Let alone starting a family then.
    Maybe now is a good time to have kids, I know some people that are doing it as a lifestyle choice as there is no work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm going for a shit in about ten minutes, nearly baked now, should be golden brown in ten :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

After 3 years of letting life drift along, as we dealt with infertility and miscarriages we are taking back control of our lives. I have handed in my notice in a job I hate and am interviewing quite successfully for better more interesting roles. I have an operation that should fix all my medical issues booked in for 3 weeks time and 2013 is going to be a good year. My hubbie is working on his cv and as soon as I am settled somewhere new he will also be moving to a new role, as he is no longer happy where he is. We decided that if we didn't do something then in 10 years time we'll be nearly 50, could still be childless and still working in jobs we hate.
    Onwards and upwards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

I really can't answer that. :( I can easily list out what's 'not' holding me back - no family, mortgage, debt, car to maintain and newly-single.

Have gone as far as jotting all this down on paper only a few days back.
    Options are: to emigrate (again), stay on dole for a short period and up-skill like crazy, bet the farm and set up my business, wait until Feb of 2013 and apply as a mature student for degree attempt number 2.

I know that I love languages, teaching others and web design/dev. - but it's merging these skills and passions together into a concrete path that has me stumped.

On another note; if 'anyone' ever asks me that cliché, 'where do you see yourself in 5 years?' question ... I may have to get violent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Surely this thread belongs in PI?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Are you ill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Where are YOU going in life?

I've been...it wasn't entirely as I might have predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

looksee wrote: »
    I've been...it wasn't entirely as I might have predicted.

Better or worse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

This thread has taken quite a dark turn :( I hope that Tom and anyone feeling low will talk to someone and get some support.

As for me, my life seems to go through 5 year blocks. I've been living in London for 2 years after moving here on a whim and have no plans to move on any time soon.

I like my job but am considering doing an OU course next year to expand my educational horizons.

Hopefully the rest will fall into place :)

Said I'd give it 4 years here, still here after 13 :eek:

Sometimes it's grim but you just get on and overcome to the best of your ability.

I have a wife, friends, job and mortgage - so whenever the black dog is snipping at my heel, I have to remind myself how much worse it could be. Even if the monotony tends to dominate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Please Tom, I sincerely hope you are alive for Xmas and indeed many more of them. Your life is very precious. I am extremely concerned even though I obviously don't know you. Nonetheless for what it is worth please seek help urgently from your family, GP, Samaritans. Please Please Please.
    Would you feel comfortable contacting another OP by PM? Perhaps that may be a good starting point. You need to start talking to someone now.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Prima Nocte

I think it's important that you take every day as it comes. Nothing in life is for certain, you could be dead tomorrow so it's important to appreciate what you have now rather than wanting what you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Just to live a comfortable life - pay off my loans, and not struggle. And be happy! Everything changes in the blink of an eye so I try not to plan too much!

Advertisement