Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon D'Or shortlist

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Messi to beat Ronaldo again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Strikers, strikers everywhere!

No good defenders out there?

Yeah, if I was paranoid I'd suspect FIFA don't want to promote/reward excellence in defense as it gives the "wrong message" about the game.

I'd wager (as far as they're concerned) even a goalie is ok because he can offer up a "showreel" of eyecatching saves but no one wants to see the day to day work of destructive tackling or precise defensive organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Would love to see Falcao win it.

It'll be Messi again, not that he doesn't deserve it or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Free money alert. Messi 5/6 BV, Ronaldo 7/2 WH and Iniesta 7/1 sportingbet. Back all 3 by a certain amount to make a nice few quid risk free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

kitakyushu wrote: »

Well considering he's a general 7/4 I think it's a very good bet. You can always lay off later for profit as he's sure to be shorter than 7/2 on the exchanges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i think Ramires should maybe be in it instead of Pique
    he was a huge player in helping Chelsea win the CL

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

Casillas could be a dark horse to win it this year, alot of voters might find it difficult to choose between Messi and Ronaldo and this might be the year for a keeper to get it. Casillas is 66/1 on PP at the moment. I think Messi will get it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'd have definitely included Chiellini and Reus, both inexcusable exclusions, then maybe Vidal and Hazard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Hummels too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I predict:

1. Messi
    2. Iniesta
    3. Ronaldo
    4. Pirlo
    5. Neymar

edit: Very harsh on Buffon being shortlisted over Joe Hart. Ans Sergio Ramos there is a joke...very average player for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Whoever came up with that list obviously doesn't watch the Bundesliga then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

TheComeUp wrote: »
    I predict:

1. Messi
    2. Iniesta
    3. Ronaldo
    4. Pirlo
    5. Neymar

edit: Very harsh on Buffon being shortlisted over Joe Hart. Ans Sergio Ramos there is a joke...very average player for me
    Ramos was superb for Real & Spain at the Euro's far from a average player just can be rash sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'd have definitely included Chiellini and Reus, both inexcusable exclusions, then maybe Vidal and Hazard!
    Barzagli was better than Chiellini last season.

Kinda getting boring now this!

Regarding the coach of the year, how is Fergie in there?

dagdha wrote: »
    Casillas could be a dark horse to win it this year, alot of voters might find it difficult to choose between Messi and Ronaldo and this might be the year for a keeper to get it. Casillas is 66/1 on PP at the moment. I think Messi will get it though.

Just because you'd find it hard to choose between Messi and Ronaldo doesn't mean you'd ignore them both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

the small matter of the european championship is why balatelli is on the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

wheres RvP?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Just because you'd find it hard to choose between Messi and Ronaldo doesn't mean you'd ignore them both!

Personally I'd choose Messi and I think he'll get it but alot of people are saying that it's getting predictable with Messi and Ronaldo being in the top 3 the last four years and it's time someone else gets it and Casillas' name has been dropped around since the World Cup. World Cup, Euro 2012 and La Liga winning captain. At 66/1 it might be worth a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mario Balotelli, Didier Drogba, Gerard Piqué, Wayne Rooney shouldn't be on the list imo. The omission of some players is baffling, Kompany being the obvious one.

Drogba deserves to be there for his impact on the Champions League IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Why no Cech, he is pretty much the single biggest reason chelsea won the champions league last season.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

redzerdrog wrote: »
    the small matter of the european championship is why balatelli is on the list

Bar the Germany game I don't think that's really a case for him to be in it. Would have Gomez there instead tbh.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Why no Cech, he is pretty much the single biggest reason chelsea won the champions league last season.:confused:

There's already 3 much better keepers on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

This list is always about reputation. Balotelli is absolutely ****, he scores a few goals and that's it. He has physical attributes and that's it, he seems to have absolutely no skill what so ever even tho popular opinion is that he does. I actually like him because he's funny but he is CAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

EdenHazard wrote: »
    This list is always about reputation. Balotelli is absolutely ****, he scores a few goals and that's it. He has physical attributes and that's it, he seems to have absolutely no skill what so ever even tho popular opinion is that he does. I actually like him because he's funny but he is CAT

He has lots of flair. He can pull a goal out of nowhere and change a game in an instant. That's extremely valuable .

He's also quick, strong, has a great long range shot, is a great finisher inside the box, has superb movement.

I think people sometimes forget how young he is. He's already a very good player and is going to be very special in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Would have loved to seen De Natale on there...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

blobby360 wrote: »
    Would have loved to seen De Natale on there...

He wouldn't deserve to be near it.

Toto is a legend and his scoring record over the last 5 years is exceptional, but he's never even been anywhere near the top 3 players in Italy, never mind the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Seaneh wrote: »
    He wouldn't deserve to be near it.

Toto is a legend and his scoring record over the last 5 years is exceptional, but he's never even been anywhere near the top 3 players in Italy, never mind the world.

Deserve's it more than Ballotelli though.

blobby360 wrote: »
    Deserve's it more than Ballotelli though.

I don't agree.
    Balotelli keeps him out of the Italy team, won the premier league and had a stormer of a euros. Where the tore the arse out of Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

MD1990 wrote: »
    Ramos was superb for Real & Spain at the Euro's far from a average player just can be rash sometimes

I don't like him, but I think Ramos would be the most deserving Spanish player to win it this year.

He still makes the odd howler, but he's been excellent for club and country in 2012.

Surely though it'll go to one of the two usual suspects.

I love Falcao, but he's not close to the level of Messi or Ronaldo. Someone earlier in the thread had him on a par with Van Persie which I think is about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

carlop wrote: »
    I don't like him, but I think Ramos would be the most deserving Spanish player to win it this year.

He still makes the odd howler, but he's been excellent for club and country in 2012.

Surely though it'll go to one of the two usual suspects.

I love Falcao, but he's not close to the level of Messi or Ronaldo. Someone earlier in the thread had him on a par with Van Persie which I think is about right.

Falcao isn't on the level of Messi per se, but he's the best out and out goalscorer in the world. Deserves his spot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Blatter wrote: »
    He has lots of flair. He can pull a goal out of nowhere and change a game in an instant. That's extremely valuable .

He's also quick, strong, has a great long range shot, is a great finisher inside the box, has superb movement.

I think people sometimes forget how young he is. He's already a very good player and is going to be very special in the coming years.
    Ah hello Mr. Hansen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ah hello Mr. Hansen.

Ironically, Hansen hates Balotelli with a passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Ballontelli D'Or has a nice ring to it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My take on the list

Sergio Agüero (Argentina)
    Settled well into football, a true force, but feel his inclusion based on his last gasp winner at QPR.
    Xabi Alonso (Spain)
    A tremendous display of a passing DM in the last 12 months. Essential cog in the Real Madrid and Spanish success of the last 12 months. Will be overlooked by his compatriots however.
    Mario Balotelli (Italy)
    Shocking inclusion. A flash during the Euros after squandering earlier opportunities. He is more miss then hit...a weird inclusion.
    Karim Benzema (France)
    A serious case study for ressurection. Looked dead in the water at Real, fought his way into the team and was devastating last 12 months. Replacing Higeun no easy feat, but will fall short.
    Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
    Not sure on this one, seems he always makes the short lists. As always a competent solid goalie but wont make into the next draft.
    Sergio Busquets (Spain)
    As much as I despise him, a good DM. Seems to have been overshadowed in the last 7 months however, but still a major force in the midfield.
    Iker Casillas (Spain)
    RM and Spanish captain, always going to be included based on the success of the last 12 months, despite his dwindling powers.
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
    No need to explain
    Didier Drogba (Côte d’Ivoire)
    Surprise inclusion for me, his powers have been ever dwindling and is now a journeyman
    Radamel Falcao (Colombia)
    Rising star, bit too early, but no doubt in time will be here regularly
    Zlatan Ibrahimović (Sweden)
    Always scoring goals and being outragous, will fall short of cut off this year. Another superstar on the slow decline.
    Andrés Iniesta (Spain)
    No explanation required
    Lionel Messi (Argentina)
    Duh
    Manuel Neuer (Germany)
    Major part of Bayerns success last year in CL final etc. A strong goalkeeper turning into a world class keeper.
    Neymar (Brazil)
    Superstar in the making, move to England inevitable, his exploits in Brazil are fantastic, but will be overlooked for the European boys.
    Mesut Özil (Germany)
    Super creative drive behind RM's and Germanies success in the last 12 months, easy inclusion, will fall short behind Xavi and Iniesta in the CM department.
    Gerard Piqué (Spain)
    Has been largely poor for club and country last 10 months imo, suprise inclusion, banging Shakira, respect.
    Andrea Pirlo (Italy),
    Bit of a softy inclusion here. Was largely poor for Milan before his move, a rejuvanation awarded with this inclusion, wont make cut I'd say
    Sergio Ramos (Spain)
    Seems to be maturing into a very strong defender, constant flutters with Mourinho holding him back. Strongest of the defenders on the list.
    Wayne Rooney (England)
    Weird inclusion. Englands best player by miles and one of the PL's top players for sure, but the last 12 months have been relatively subtle for Roo
    Yaya Touré (Côte d’Ivoire)
    A powerful midfielder who is getting good exploits. I figure him for a Adebayor character, who will loose interest fast if hes not on the move. Will fall short of the cut here.
    Robin van Persie (Netherlands)
    Most lethal striker on the planet the last 12 months, easy to include.
    Xavi (Spain).
    Obvious

As for those being touted as omissions that required inclusion, I'd probably want to Kompany there for his City exploits and possibly Sami Khadiera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Balotelli certaintly should not be there!

Gomez is worth a place!

As is Petr Cech I think, pretty heroic for Chelsea in their Champions League campaign. As was Drogba, who despite what others have said, deserves to be there!

Also, Eden Hazard?

Had a brilliant season!

Also, Eden Hazard?

Had a brilliant season!

In ligue 1 yeah, lets not get too carried away.

In ligue 1 yeah, lets not get too carried away.

ya in Ligue 1?

Neymar had a brilliant season in Brazil, a far inferior league, and hes nominated, doesnt deserve to be if you use that logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

TheDoc wrote: »
    My take on the list

Didier Drogba (Côte d’Ivoire)
    Surprise inclusion for me, his powers have been ever dwindling and is now a journeyman

LOL...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

“The Ballon d’Or? If you have to pick the best, then it’s Messi, although I feel sorry for Andres [Iniesta] and Iker [Casillas].” - Xavi Hernandez

He knows better than us, although he doesn't get to cast a vote.

I remember seeing the votes cast last time and some ridiculous names that were nominated by the captains and managers of certain countries.

Mino Raiola, agent to Zlatan Ibrahimovic, weighing up the virtues of the Ballon d'Or. "It would only be an important award if it was won by Ibrahimovic. It won't be because it is corrupt. Blatter is a demented dictator, Platini is incompetent, and they can't stop me saying so. No one has ever tried telling me I'm wrong. They all know I'm right."

Raiola is a nut job. Another quality quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Seaneh wrote: »
    Raiola is a nut job. Another quality quote.

Apart from the first sentence, he sounds spot on to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Interesting post by Guillem Balague, which gives some history also. Looks like no official announcement until Jan 7th.
    http://www.guillembalague.com/en/blog/25-it-s-official
    #.UM92JdWNKM8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

764dak wrote: »
    I think there was a mistake, I say this sincerely. Last night it left me floored. Now I repeat it, I believe Leo today is intractable, invincible. I can't win against him. And I'm very proud to be behind him, Messi is better than I am. An incredible athlete from another planet. I could be the best among human athletes but he is from another planet. - Sergio Martinez on winning the award over Messi

Posted before on the boxing forum about what a class act this man is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Here's the video i posted in the boxing forum about Sergio Martinez.

Genuine class act. Would love to see more of this from other sports stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Winner announced later today. I'd say Messi has it in the bag again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ya in Ligue 1?

Neymar had a brilliant season in Brazil, a far inferior league, and hes nominated, doesnt deserve to be if you use that logic.
    Since when is Brazilian Serie A inferior to Ligue 1?

• Advertisement
Advertisement