Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon D'Or shortlist

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Cristiano Ronaldo started training earlier than the others & trained alone with Rui Faria before leaving for Zurich for the Ballon d'Or gala

Ronaldo really is a great professional
    would like to see him win it but it will be Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It should be Messi for sure but I have a feeling that its going to be Iniesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

eagle eye wrote: »
    It should be Messi for sure but I have a feeling that its going to be Iniesta.

You can get 20/1 on it being Iniesta....I'm sure it'll be Messi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Live stream for anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

it'll be a disgrace if messi doesnt get this award, although with FIFA you'd never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Lol gtfo, team of the year made up entirely of la liga players. Pique lol

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Lol gtfo, team of the year made up entirely of la liga players. Pique lol
    its a joke having Alves & Pique in the team

Pirlo royally shafted tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

That World XI would be some team to see play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Was there anybody in the fifpro world XI outside la liga?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Pique is a good player, but (and this is probably going to be controversial) I think he's held in a higher regard because he's part of an iconic Barcelona team. That Barca defence is dodgy as. It helps that they have some of the greatest ball players of all time ahead of them. Take them out and they cave under pressure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pique is an excellent defender, worthy of a spot. But he has had a shocking 18 months.

dfx- wrote: »
    Pique is an excellent defender, worthy of a spot. But he has had a shocking 18 months.
    that makes no sense at all

The world 11 was a bit of a joke tbh, come on ronnie for the main (i know it will be messi again but he deserves it)

Iang87 wrote: »
    it'll be a disgrace if messi doesnt get this award, although with FIFA you'd never
    i don't agree
    i think Ronaldo is worthy of it in 2012
    even though Messi is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Exact same team as last year except Vidic>Marcelo and Rooney>Falcao.

Anyone know if the formation was fixed at 4-3-3 or could it have been 3-4-3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

kryogen wrote: »
    Was there anybody in the fifpro world XI outside la liga?

None of play outside of Barcelona or Madrid (Real and Atletico).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

La Liga bias going on here? Half the defenders in the world XI come from one of the dodgiest defences around (for a top team anyway). Pep Guardiola getting nominated for winning 1 trophy with arguably the greatest club team of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Juventus went last season unbeaten but don't have a single player in the team of the year.

• Advertisement

Juventus went last season unbeaten but don't have a single player in the team of the year.
    & alot of the Juventus team made the Euro 2012 final too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

MD1990 wrote: »
    i don't agree
    i think Ronaldo is worthy of it in 2012
    even though Messi is better

Fair enough point at least you dont let breaking nearly every individual record in football cloud your judgement

And many of those helped Italy to to the Euro cup final too giving them further claims. Like neither Real or Barca even the the champions league final. You'd swear they left everyone else in their dust going by the domination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

what's the team?

Its actually a disgrace how a couple of the juve players were ignored. For some reason that team of the year has pissed me right off, kompany ignored too? When pique gets in? **** off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Would be hilarious if Sky showed this programme with Ray and Jamie commenting on it afterwards. Best league in the world...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Iniesta you sexy beast.

There should be a special yearly Zlatan award, celebrating everything Zlatan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

It's a shame that you can only have 3 strikers because RVP has had an incredible year, one that would have given him a good chance at winning the Balon D'Or in a non-Messi, non-major tournament year.

You'd have to say Chelsea and Bayern players can feel a bit hard done by too, to go along with the aforementioned Italians at Juve.

Maybe Lahm could have got one of the full-back slots and Chiellini or Bonucci at CB instead of Pique.

Maybe Cech in nets instead of Real Madrid's sub goalie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Stoch or Falcao for the Puskas Award, 2 exceptional goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Piqué is somehow becoming one of the most overrated players lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

elefant wrote: »
    what's the team?
    BALLON D'OR
    Here's the full Fifa/FIFPro World XI:

Goalkeeper: Iker Casillas

Defenders: Dani Alves, Gerard Pique, Sergio Ramos, Marcelo

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso, Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta

Forwards: Lionel Messi, Radomel Falcao, Cristiano Ronaldo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20929928

Dempsey wrote: »
    Stoch or Falcao for the Puskas Award, 2 exceptional goals.

I voted for El Tigre

Messi montage, **** time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

carlop wrote: »
    Maybe Lahm could have got one of the full-back slots and Chiellini or Bonucci at CB instead of Pique.

Barzagli was the best defender in Europe last season IMO. Definitely better than Chiellini and Bonucci.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I think it's tough to argue with anyone on that team. Piquenbauer had a stirring European Championships and has been in top form this season. Alves is probably the most debatable but there's hardly any real outstanding choice for right back anyway. All in all I'd say the right choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Barzagli was the best defender in Europe last season IMO. Definitely better than Chiellini and Bonucci.

I knew when I was writing that I was forgetting someone and would be called up on it. I probably don't watch enough of Juve to make a decision one way or another so I'll take your word for it.

Surprised shakira didn't get the nod to do the musical performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Must say that although a Utd fan, Kompany deserved to make that team. Was absolutely immense last season.
    Same with Pirlo, how someone who wins player of the tournament at international level which contains 2 of the 3 nominees for POTY isn't chosen in the team is shocking! Even anyone form Juve during the unbeaten season!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Would be hilarious if Sky showed this programme with Ray and Jamie commenting on it afterwards. Best league in the world...

If you were going from past World XI's, in the mid-00's you would have had a very good argument to say the PL was the best league in the world at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Must say that although a Utd fan, Kompany deserved to make that team. Was absolutely immense last season.
    Same with Pirlo, how someone who wins player of the tournament at international level which contains 2 of the 3 nominees for POTY isn't chosen in the team is shocking! Even anyone form Juve during the unbeaten season!

I'm almost sure Andres Iniesta was awarded player of the tournament at Euro 2012.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see Messi, Ronaldo and Iniesta chat like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Messi is light years ahead of the rest.
    No players from the EPL shows that they go for technical ability more than anything else.

Blatter the perve following Hope Solo around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Given the year he's had, it's impossible to see past Messi. I expect the 'Unhappy Ronaldo to United' stories to resurface after that.

This was supposed to be a woman's award right?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Not one Bundesliga player heh, not surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Everyone's just waiting for Ronaldo's reaction to Messi's win.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Messi wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Lol Cannavarro. with the camera fixed on him for a long time, he looks around and says "So? What you want?".

• Advertisement

Hopefully everyone chants "Messi, Messi, Messi" repeatedly when he goes up to collect his award.

Advertisement