Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon D'Or shortlist

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

klose wrote: »
    Ronaldo didnt drag portugal to the semis stop kidding yourself and lets not forget him not taking a penelty in the shootout and instead letting big bruno alves nearly split the crossbar in two. Your genetically enhanced spiel is embaressing tbh just like when anyone drags up that point

and he was crap in the early games iirc

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

iregk wrote: »
    , that Messi is the worlds first genetically enhanced legal athlete?

Given that they didn't alter his genetics, I would say no

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I got to get me some of these drugs and give them to my nephew, 20 years time he should have won the Ballon D'Or.

Seriously has it boiled down to this in the Ronaldo fan boy camp?

Can ye not just admit that Messi is slightly better but both are some distance ahead of the next tier of top level footballers, which seems fairly obivious.

Also the talk about Ronaldo not playing upfront and still getting 70 + goals, thats not Messi's fault, if Real Madrid want to play Ronaldo through the middle theres nothing stopping them doing so and they have in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can we not just admire both players for being truly gifted footballers and the 2 best players in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

So goals decide it, Can you honestly say scoring more goals in a season is a better achievement than actually winning trophys for your team ?

You do realise the Ballon d'Or is an individual award.

He was not pumped on drugs, he was given growth enhancements to stay on par with the players of his own age, he wasn't enhanced past their level to be unfair on them.

2012 was Messi's year, he clearly won the award.

Maybe this year will be Ronnie's year! I'm just looking forward to the two of them battling it out again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Given that they didn't alter his genetics, I would say no

Fair point. I guess I'm being a bit too liberal with my words. Growth hormones though I understand what people are saying that well it brought him up to the level of the others physically so level playing field. My point being that the drugs are illegal at the level he is now playing at so is taking them as a child technically not cheating as well. Maybe cheating is the wrong word for it.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Messi, I'm a big fan and personally I do believe we are watching the greatest player to ever play our game. I'm not in the Ronaldo camp, that is to say I'm not a fan boi. I think he is an arrogant pompus, I'll stop as I'll probably get banned. That said I don't for the whole oh he is better than him etc... I'm just delighted to be living in a time when we can enjoy these two magnificent players in their prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

They're illegal in sports, he got them as part of a medical treatment.
    There is however no proof that he is still using them this day (which would indeed be cheating).

If you (or your kid maybe ?) had the issues he had you would be perfectly able to get that treatment too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If Messi is a striker but Ronaldo isn't then Ronaldo should have more assists right? Wait, What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Growth hormones don't make you the best finisher in the world.
    Growth hormones don't make you the best dribbler in the world.

Give it over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

2zfpp37.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I got to get me some of these drugs and give them to my nephew, 20 years time he should have won the Ballon D'Or.

Seriously has it boiled down to this in the Ronaldo fan boy camp?

Can ye not just admit that Messi is slightly better but both are some distance ahead of the next tier of top level footballers, which seems fairly obivious.

Also the talk about Ronaldo not playing upfront and still getting 70 + goals, thats not Messi's fault, if Real Madrid want to play Ronaldo through the middle theres nothing stopping them doing so and they have in the past.

Nonsense, Messi is a clear level above him. No shame in that. If anything, i would say Iniesta is closer to Ronaldo than Ronaldo is to Messi. Again, no shame in it. Ronaldo is an amazing player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

klose wrote: »
    Ronaldo didnt drag portugal to the semis stop kidding yourself and lets not forget him not taking a penelty in the shootout and instead letting big bruno alves nearly split the crossbar in two. Your genetically enhanced spiel is embaressing tbh just like when anyone drags up that point

The penalty shootout places were predetermined by the manager. YOU KNOW THIS! it was in the news the week after the shootout when pundit wannabes were using it as a baiting stick. Your post is akin to reading the Daily Mail in the 80s.

If Ronaldo went and changed the peno places without the managers say so, you'd call him something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Mods can this thread be closed please. It is getting so cringey and embarrassing for certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Interesting take on the outcome by an Associated Press journalist, who thinks Ronaldo should have won.
    http://www.scmp.com/sport/soccer/article/1123181/john-leicester-why-ronaldo-deserved-ballon-dor

2zfpp37.jpg

Messi's conversion rate :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Looking at the list of all-time winners of the Ballon d'Or, I find that despite setting a world record for goals scored in a calendar year (1972), Gerd Muller didn't win the prize on that occasion. Franz Beckenbauer did:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

At least Ronaldo has one record that Messi doesn't have: Ronaldo scored against every team in La Liga last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

764dak wrote: »
    At least Ronaldo has one record that Messi doesn't have: Ronaldo scored against every team in La Liga last season.

Plenty more years for Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

764dak wrote: »

Fairplay to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ronaldo has started 2013 on fire
    7 goals in 4 games

Advertisement