Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHL Advice Please...

Options
  • 29-10-2012 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Folks,

Im heading over to the WHL for the Wigan game and it s my first home watch I will have been to. I have been to a few away games and was at WHL during the summer for a tour of the ground. Im just wondering where is the best place to go before the match for a pint to soak up atmosphere, Im not expecting an unreal atmosphere for Wigan but Im looking forward to it all the same. Any advice would be great. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

The Bricklayers should have a bit of atmosphere in it before the game. Its on the High Road just up past the stadium heading north.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Have your ticket ready when i went into to a pub close by
    i had to show my ticket.Great atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

The Bricklayers is great for a sing song and a bit of Chas and Dave nice and loud. The downside is getting to the bar, can take a while to get served :D. I would recommend it though for your first time, had many a great afternoon in there myself. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

pancho84 wrote: »
    Folks,

Im heading over to the WHL for the Wigan game and it s my first home watch I will have been to. I have been to a few away games and was at WHL during the summer for a tour of the ground. Im just wondering where is the best place to go before the match for a pint to soak up atmosphere, Im not expecting an unreal atmosphere for Wigan but Im looking forward to it all the same. Any advice would be great. Cheers.

Seeing as you were there in the summer, I assume you know the best way to get to and from WHL, if not just say and we can advise.

As regards a decent place for a pint, The Bricklayers as the lads said is very popular, always has a sing song going, but as with most pubs around the ground before the game, getting to the bar can be a nightmare.
    I tend to like the Bell and Hare, it's based on the right side of the road as you come up the High Road just before the ground. I normally sit in the South Stand so it's very handy in that sense, the club shop is literally next door in case you need to get any gear too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

You could always slip round the corner to the Irish Centre for a quart before heading to the Brickies. Always handy enough to get served in there and they do grub as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Cheers for the advice lads, the way I went to the ground was to Liverpool St station and get the train from there, about 20 mins away from there from what I remember, I think that was the best way from reading online before but I could be wrong. I have to pick tickets up at the ground but hope to be there from about one o clock.

pancho84 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice lads, the way I went to the ground was to Liverpool St station and get the train from there, about 20 mins away from there from what I remember, I think that was the best way from reading online before but I could be wrong. I have to pick tickets up at the ground but hope to be there from about one o clock.

Yes get the train from Liverpool Street to WHL station, if you fancy having one in the Irish centre, take a left out of the station and then a right, only 2/3 min walk, if not then head right for the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Yes get the train from Liverpool Street to WHL station, if you fancy having one in the Irish centre, take a left out of the station and then a right, only 2/3 min walk, if not then head right for the ground.
    if travelling from Stanstead to Liverpool street,you could get off at Tottenham Hale station and a 20mins walk to stadium,enjoy the trip

spursman11 wrote: »
    if travelling from Stanstead to Liverpool street,you could get off at Tottenham Hale station and a 20mins walk to stadium,enjoy the trip

Correct, I assumed he was travelling from central London ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

spursman11 wrote: »

Thats my route!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

save a few bob and buy your ticket to northumberland park. You are allowed use the ticket to Hale and cross platform to go back one stop. If train is going other way get it to Northumberland as only 7/8 mins to park lane or just walk out of the station.

If 3/4 of you travelling make sure you get groupsave 3/4 options which are 3 or 4 for the price of 2 - you have to travel together though.

Advertisement