Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner Bikes

• 29-10-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Starting my IBT on Saturday & Sunday and when finished I'm looking to buy a bike.
    Interested in a CBR 600, yamaha, or suzuki of similar strenght.

Wondering if this is too strong a bike or should I be ok.

(Never ridden a bike before but in my 40's, have a family and reckon I have enough cop on to take it easy if I do get one)

Any suggestions???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I started recently on a Ninja 250r and absolutely love it. And although it looks brilliant when it's parked up beside the big bikes it seems a bit small.

But it's certainly not short on power for going around a city and can handle the motorway fine too, although it's working quite hard at 90 mph. I was really surprised by how easy it was to ride right from the very beginning so definitely a good starter and great value too.

Only thing is, I'm already looking at what 600cc bike I might get next, but that's a good bit away yet, I'm no rush to leave my Ninja.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

monuworks wrote: »
    Starting my IBT on Saturday & Sunday and when finished I'm looking to buy a bike.
    Interested in a CBR 600, yamaha, or suzuki of similar strenght.

Wondering if this is too strong a bike or should I be ok.

(Never ridden a bike before but in my 40's, have a family and reckon I have enough cop on to take it easy if I do get one)

Any suggestions???

wouldnt recommend one of them to start off on, no

see how you get on with the IBT, and the school bikes they give you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I started on a restricted suzuki bandit 600 and loved it.
    Eventually i wanted a bit more power and changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Hi I will hopefully start my IBT soon and I'm looking into learner legal bikes, unfortunatly there is not much on the market between 125ccm and the bigger bikes from 600ccm which are not learner legal there seems to be a big gap.

I'm 30 years old and have never had a motorcycle, or a car in my life, but I do not really want to go for a small 125ccm model, but I think for a beginner a bigbike might be a bit tooo much.

I might go for something like a hysoung gt 250 ( the naked one)
    or I found an AJS SPT 350 which looked interesting.

I'd love to get something like a honda transalp in small if there is anything like that on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Sagi wrote: »
    Hi I will hopefully start my IBT soon and I'm looking into learner legal bikes, unfortunatly there is not much on the market between 125ccm and the bigger bikes from 600ccm which are not learner legal there seems to be a big gap.

I'm 30 years old and have never had a motorcycle, or a car in my life, but I do not really want to go for a small 125ccm model, but I think for a beginner a bigbike might be a bit tooo much.

I might go for something like a hysoung gt 250 ( the naked one)
    or I found an AJS SPT 350 which looked interesting.

I'd love to get something like a honda transalp in small if there is anything like that on the market.

Just get whatever bike you want and restrict it. Restriction usually costs about 250 - 300. You could also try get something thats factory restricted instead of after market restriction.

• Advertisement

Not quite sure if I need something bigger for the moment, I guess I'll do my 5km commute everyday, and maybe ride upt to dublin from cork once in a month, I'm not going to be allowed to use motorways in the begining, so I think I cheap little machine might just be the right thing for the first year or so.
    Ah I have some time left before I decide, guess I'll have to do some reading and consider the costs of buying, maintaining and insuring a real motorcycle versus a better moped...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 monuworks

Hey Sagi,

Was getting some good advice until you jumped in with your pennies worth !!!

Go get your own thread instead of jumping on the band wagon :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

CBR600 F is a great all round bike, comfortable to ride, plenty of power, very forgiving. I had both the carb and fuel injected model, the 2002 model is a great buy if you find a clean one. Looks great too. After those I had a couple of GSXR600's, but for comfort I'd take the Honda any day.

monuworks wrote: »
    Hey Sagi,

Was getting some good advice until you jumped in with your pennies worth !!!

Go get your own thread instead of jumping on the band wagon :mad:

hm I thought this thread might be big enough for the two of us :rolleyes:
    good luck finding a bike and have fun using it

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

in the space of about 3 months i went from 125 to 400 to restricted cbr 600f, with a bit of sense in your head it wont be too powerful although becareful of what bike you choose if your licence is going under th new rules coming this Jan the cbr600f/rr are not suitable to be restriced there is a website with a detailed list of bike that are and are not compatible (it's in one of the other threads)

im open to correction on this as i haven't been keeping up with the threads related to it but the bike you select will need to be less than 70kw in power in order for the restriction to be legal. the cbr600f is just above that limit

long term because your 40 you will be able to do the direct access course but im not sure where that leaves you while you are learning before your full licence test/direct access course. if 600cc is the route you want to take might be worth reading up about the changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

I bought my first bike about 4 weeks ago. I got a 2000 reg BMW F650ST that had been after market restricted. I got it from JR Motorcycles in Wexford.

It's like the smaller brother of the GS1200 and similar to the Transalp. I didn't like the sports type Bandits and Hornets but there seems very little choice in Ireland for beginners looking for second hand machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

beat me to it underwaterdog! i have the same bmw and its a real nice bike to ride plenty of low down grunt and nice and upright for traffic, handles lovely in the twisties too! i picked mine for 1500 with a restrictor cert and a few spares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Jaysus a beginner on a BMW.....absolutely no chance of learning to wave now!!!!

:D:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

serious3 wrote: »
    beat me to it underwaterdog! i have the same bmw and its a real nice bike to ride plenty of low down grunt and nice and upright for traffic, handles lovely in the twisties too! i picked mine for 1500 with a restrictor cert and a few spares

Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Jaysus a beginner on a BMW.....absolutely no chance of learning to wave now!!!!

:D:D:p

Funny you mention that cause I've been waving to every bike I see on the road (while on mine - not from the street, lol) and I've never once gotten a wave back. Not sure if its the L on my Hi Vis or the crap bike I'm using :confused:

To the OP, I'm on a 125, its been 3 months, and I'm now dying to get on something bigger, 400 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Seriously, usually the bigger the bike (Goldwings, Harleys etc) the less of a wave you get I find.....I usually stick a leg out if I am mid bend or the like. Anyway, keep waving coz sooner or later you will find me and I will wave back!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Seriously, usually the bigger the bike (Goldwings, Harleys etc) the less of a wave you get I find.....I usually stick a leg out if I am mid bend or the like. Anyway, keep waving coz sooner or later you will find me and I will wave back!

I'll be doing the Team America emergency wave all the way to the bike show now to see if it helps :pac:

Advertisement