Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disk tray/ Boot problems.

Options
  • 29-10-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    I'm currently having a problem which is slowly getting worse and I'm getting sick of it. When I turn on my xbox it boots as normal, then continues on as normal. I insert a disk and the disk can be heard spinning and attempting to read, and then I get "open tray". It will repeatedly do this for up to, or over, an hour when you will finally hear the disk tray kick into gear and it'll display "play Game". Even at that I get the disk is unreadable error while playing every so often. Anybody have any idea as to the root cause and a fix? I think the disktray may just be knackered.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Which xbox do you have?
    My slim was doing the same thing but putting it standing up instead of down flat seemed to sort it but don't risk moving it while its turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Could be the disc tray but it may be the HDD causing it. Remove the HDD and try to play a disc. If it plays fine for a while, you'll know it's the HDD causing it. Next up will be moving any game saves you want to keep to cloud storage or onto a different memory unit and formatting the HDD.

If it gives the same problems without the HDD, the console will need a repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sounds like the laser unit is on the way out, nothing unusual with a 360/PS3. Should cost in or around €30/€40 to replace

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Same thing happened my xbox. Its one of the original big white ones though. Its a problem with the laser as EnterNow has said. Just need to take the xbox apart and clean it (Ive been putting this off for nearly a year) This video shows how to do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement