Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation

• 29-10-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

Planning on topping up the insulation in my attic. I have bought some new fibre glass and will overlay this crossed over the existing fibreglass. The problem is that there is some of the attic that is floored for storage, I don't want to have to go the the hassle of trying to raise the spacing for this, so looking for any advice on this. Would it be possible to use aeroboard under the fibreglass to provide a little more insulation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Depends if you want to continue using it for storage. If not I would roll out the fibreglass on top of it.

I recently added 200mm over my whole attic and put a walkway down the centre of the house on top of the ceiling joists. fibreglass is on top of the walkway and I roll it back when I need to work in attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

We had special insulated boards to lay over the existing storage/boarded area and then the rockwool on rest of attic. We also got a tent like thing to cover over the hatch door area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

19 euro for a 1200 x 600mm x 100mm Xtratherm insulated attic/loft board.

Take up exiting attic boards and replace with insulated board.

Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

paddy147 wrote: »
    19 euro for a 1200 x 600mm x 100mm Xtratherm insulated attic/loft board.

Take up exiting attic boards and replace with insulated board.

Simples.

Could these boards be used in the rafters as my attic floor is covered and has alot of items up there for storage?

Where can they be purchased?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Could these boards be used in the rafters as my attic floor is covered and has alot of items up there for storage?

Where can they be purchased?

I wouldnt think so,as they are wider than your rafters and they lock/slot together aswell.

Just buy a few sheets of Xtratherm insulation board and cut them to suit the rafters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement