Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a weird gift

• 29-10-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Myself and a mate were on holidays recently, and had to do some last minute panic souvenir shopping on the final day. We picked up all kinds of crap for all kinds of people, but she was looking for something to give to a guy she's been tapping off for the last two months or so. We had no idea what to get him, 'cause she doesn't know him that well so she doesn't know what he likes, and it's too early to get too extravagant. So... she bought him a switchblade - something like this.

Now, in fairness, she was desperate to find something to bring back, and it is a pretty cool bit of kit, but I have to wonder what message this is sending the poor guy.

Hey I just met you.
    And this is crazy.
    But here's a knife.
    .... ???

She says she's going to give it to him 'cause she's already bought it, but I'm not so sure.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

She's clearly played knifey spooney before.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

General rule:
    If (as in the picture) it has secondary/multiple parts designed for different tactical situations then a man will appreciate it.

She should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If it was well made I'd be delighted. If it's cheap Chinese tack.... not so much.

What does he do?
    If he does a practical job, carpenter, builder etc all well. If I got it I'd be happy, but then again I'm a farmer and a knife is always handy to have on you.
    If he works in shop or office, then NO!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

krudler wrote: »
    She's clearly played knifey spooney before.

Wait 'till you see the double fork blade I bought - Blow. Your. Mind.
    Rigol wrote: »
    General rule:
    If (as in the picture) it has secondary/multiple parts designed for different tactical situations then a man will appreciate it.

She should be fine.

We discovered that it actually has a tiny torch attached - which is very, very cool. That's it though.
    If it was well made I'd be delighted. If it's cheap Chinese tack.... not so much.

Not sure. It cost about €20 from a street seller in Thailand. I have a feeling it might be tack though - they wanted approx €50 originally, but, sure we didn't have a clue about value over there.
    What does he do?
    If he does a practical job, carpenter, builder etc all well. If I got it I'd be happy, but then again I'm a farmer and a knife is always handy to have on you.
    If he works in shop or office, then NO!!!

He's still studying, so, he doesn't need it for his job. But, students love knives right!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's not a switchblade. It's a pocket knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

That's not a switchblade, it's a folding knife. Get your shlt together OP!

Whoops! :(

What's the difference??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Who brings back souvenirs these days, especially to someone they hardly know :confused:

I'm sure the guy would have been more than happy to get a bit of action upon her return

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

She should have got him a voucher for a blowjob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

xoxyx wrote: »

What's the difference??
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think most guys would like a gift like that. Two things though. The old wives tale goes that you should never give a gift of a knife or scissors to someone you value as it is bad luck and "cuts" the relationship in two. Also, if I was merely "tapping" someone, which I presume to mean scoring then I wouldn't be getting them a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

We discovered that it actually has a tiny torch attached - which is very, very cool. That's it though.

Sorted. No worries.
    Torch attachment allows him to blind his attacker and/or read cave scrolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

She obviously does'nt like the fact that he ties her up, hence the pressie

biko wrote: »

Gotcha - the pic I posted was just something that looked like what my mate bought. It is a switchblade IRL.
    bluewolf wrote: »

Odd. Why would you bother posting that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

she bought him a switchblade - something like this.

thats not a knife this is a knife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

my Mam brought me back a handbag shaped like a coconut from Spain last week. I wish I'd gotten a pocket knife.

Gotcha - the pic I posted was just something that looked like what my mate bought. It is a switchblade IRL.

Odd. Why would you bother posting that??

Because it's the "crazy girlfriend" meme. Continuing on from the post someone made earlier (did they delete it?) of "here's a knife, call me maybe" :)

phasers wrote: »
    my Mam brought me back a handbag shaped like a coconut from Spain last week. I wish I'd gotten a pocket knife.

I wish somebody would give me a handbag shaped like a coconut...

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Because it's the "crazy girlfriend" meme. Continuing on from the post someone made earlier (did they delete it?) of "here's a knife, call me maybe" :)

Ahhhhh! :) I'm so out of touch with memes right now. I just saw a pic of some girl and had no idea what was going on! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

biko wrote: »
    That's not a switchblade. It's a pocket knife.
    That's not a switchblade, it's a folding knife. Get your shlt together OP!

Don't argue with the OP...they have a knife.

What's the difference??

What makes you think I'd know? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I wish somebody would give me a handbag shaped like a coconut...
    Swapsies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

A blowjob would of sufficed.

What makes you think I'd know? :confused:

You just have that look about you.
    phasers wrote: »
    Swapsies

Yes! The knife isn't mine though, so I need to come up with a convincing enough argument that it's given to me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tapping off? Like she's been stealing his electricity?

Tapping off? Like she's been stealing his electricity?

Nah - she's just been removing all the water-giving appliances that sit over a sink.

Nah - she's just been removing all the water-giving appliances that sit over a sink.

Providing other forms of moisture herself, is she

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

It depends.... Is he from Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So much money spent on holiday souvenirs, so much tacky crap that no body wants! I don't get it, nasty fridge magnets and the like, if i bring back presents it's gonna be some food or drink you can't get at home, a taste of the place i've been, not some Chinese made crap thats just gonna collect dust in a drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mucky.Bucky

I had someone, similiar to the op's friend - early stages, tell me he bought a gift for me while out away and he stressed that it was only something small but he'd like to send it to me.

I waited for it to arrive in the post but nothing came.

Then an excuse.

Then weeks later, he came back to hook up with me and me there - and your gift?
    He lost it was his excuse.

Well done at making someone fell dirty, cheap, like sh1t and nothing.

Honestly I wish a new sti would develop where people who play others, will contract a disease where their genitals just fall fcuking off.

w@nker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

are you allowed bring a knife back from holidays even it is in your checked in luggage?

I think switchblades are illegal here so your friend was lucky she wasn't caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'd probably think she was a mad kinky bitch and wanted me to cut her up during sex like Angelina Jolee and Billy Bob Thornton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Skerries wrote: »
    are you allowed bring a knife back from holidays even it is in your checked in luggage?

I think switchblades are illegal here so your friend was lucky she wasn't caught
    They rarely check bags and don't really care about knives anyway. I've brought home harpoon guns and large diving knives lots of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

smash wrote: »
    They rarely check bags and don't really care about knives anyway. I've brought home harpoon guns and large diving knives lots of times.

So much for airport security and " get rid of that roll on perspirant" carry on then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

So much for airport security and " get rid of that roll on perspirant" carry on then.
    Bags in the hold generally aren't accessible during the flight so who cares what goes in them unless it's compressed or explosive?. You do realise there could even well be firearms in the hold, particularly this year if you travelled to the Olympics?

Advertisement