Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London - January 2013

Options
  • 29-10-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi guys - would love some advice on this.

I will be moving to London in the first of two weeks of January.

I'm starting a job on 14 January and ideally, would love to have accommodation sorted and all of my stuff moved from Dublin before then.

As of now, I will be looking to live on my own (though this may be subject to change as a couple of mates are also looking for work there at the moment) and would love to live in Angel. I realise it is expensive there - my budget it circa £1,500 pcm - do you think I could find somewhere nice in Angel for that?

Does anyone have any letting agencies they could recommend?

Also would anyone know what the cheapest way of moving about 10 boxes of stuff to London would be? Any recommended shipping companies? Or would it be cheaper to drive from Dublin?

Thanks a lot guys.

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

£1500 should get you a decent place.
    Why are you looking at Angel specifically if you dont mind my asking?

When I moved over I hired a shipping company, it was about €500 at the time.

You pack the stuff yourself and then load it all onto a pallet when they come out with the truck.
    They then deliver to your door in London an arranged date/time.
    www.ras-group.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

Cheers - €500 isn't too bad really. Presumably UPS also provide this service?

Angel because I really like the area (and it's close to the Emirates!) but I'm not against looking elsewhere? I will be working close to Bank underground. Any recommendations for other areas? Do you think house-sharing with random folk is worthwhile (considering the savings to be made?). What are the websites to use? Is rightmove.co.uk the best one?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What happens if you don't like it after all. What if the job doesn't work out?

You need to allow for council tax.

I would think sharing would make sense at the start.

Consider posting here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1406 but read the charter first.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

Thanks Mod - I'll repost in the other forum.

If things don't work out, I guess I'm a big boy and I'll have to deal with them. In saying that, I'm very intent on making the move work. Thanks again. S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

UPS ship based on weight, I'd be suprised if it didn't work out considerably more expensive.

Angel is a nice enough place, plenty of nice bars etc.
    You'd probably get much better value by moving a little further up the northern line or further up Holloway Road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd also look at Old St/Hoxton/Essex Road/Balls Pond Road areas. Bit cheaper and still within striking distance of Islington.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

was looking for quotations for shipping boxes recently. nightlink were the cheapest. Just give dimensions and weight for a pallet

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BizzyC wrote: »
    UPS ship based on weight, I'd be suprised if it didn't work out considerably more expensive.
    UPS also do a non-premium service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I can recommend 'Brendan Daly Shipping'. Was very uncomplicated to deal with, he even brought me the cardboard boxes to my house. (don't know if he's always doing it though)
    Self packing for sure and they collect the boxes. Paid only about 350 €, as well 10 1m3 boxes. shipped to Germany so UK might be even cheaper.

everything went well, the boxes were delivered after a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 guilo

I would not recommend 'Brendan Daly Shipping'. I was not sure if his very casual approach was a good or a bad thing at the time. I asked specifically if all costs were included and if we would be hit with release fees,etc. He said the only extra cost would be customs fees if we were unlucky to be the random boxes they decide to check and charge us for the privilege.
    We were contacted at this end (Hong Kong) a couple of days before they arrived and given a bill for €250. €50 is for forward delivery to our home (reasonable) and €200 for (surprise!) port fees. It's not a fortune but he deliberately misled IMO. I mailed him for clarification and unsurprisingly got no response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Angel is good, great selection of shops, bars, restaurants and Angel tube is on the same line as Bank. Also five minutes by bus to Kings Cross for the Picadilly line to Heathrow.
    You should consider along Essex Rd towards Newington Green or up Islington to Highbury corner. 10/15 mins walk to Angel Tube station. Wouldn't recommend the general Kings Cross area
    Check out The Irish Post for transport companies doing deliveries to and from Ireland.

Advertisement