Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London - January 2013

Options
  • 29-10-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi guys - would love some advice on this.

I will be moving to London in the first of two weeks of January.

I'm starting a job on 14 January and ideally, would love to have accommodation sorted and all of my stuff moved from Dublin before then.

As of now, I will be looking to live on my own (though this may be subject to change as a couple of mates are also looking for work there at the moment) and would love to live in Angel. I realise it is expensive there - my budget it circa £1,500 pcm - do you think I could find somewhere nice in Angel for that?

Does anyone have any letting agencies they could recommend?

Also would anyone know what the cheapest way of moving about 10 boxes of stuff to London would be? Any recommended shipping companies? Or would it be cheaper to drive from Dublin?

Thanks a lot guys.

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

I used a company called UKtoIrelandExpress or Connolly and Sons when I moved here from Galway last December and they were very efficient and easy to deal with. The guy I talked to was Kevin (tel: 0044 7815 803 182). I think I paid about £300 pounds for 16 boxes.

I work in Angel and it's a really nice area, I'd love to live there myself. For your budget that should definitely be possible. A friend of mine lives in a one bedroom flat in Angel, for about £260 a week as far as I remember. He's actually planning on moving in January, so I can try to get you the number of the landlord?

Good luck with the move and hope you can make some Boards Beers when you get here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Might be an idea to check the FAQ thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056364193

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Snatchy wrote: »
    Hi guys - would love some advice on this.

I will be moving to London in the first of two weeks of January.

I'm starting a job on 14 January and ideally, would love to have accommodation sorted and all of my stuff moved from Dublin before then.

As of now, I will be looking to live on my own (though this may be subject to change as a couple of mates are also looking for work there at the moment) and would love to live in Angel. I realise it is expensive there - my budget it circa £1,500 pcm - do you think I could find somewhere nice in Angel for that?

Does anyone have any letting agencies they could recommend?

Also would anyone know what the cheapest way of moving about 10 boxes of stuff to London would be? Any recommended shipping companies? Or would it be cheaper to drive from Dublin?

Thanks a lot guys.

S

£1,500 pcm should get you a nice one bed in Angel. I would advise against it though.... You can move a little further out and get much more bang for your buck. Central London is very accessible so really there is no point paying a massive premium for accommodation when you are only saving yourself 5 - 10 mins journey time

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

Thanks for your response! Boardsbeers would be awesome! And also, if you could please send me a PM re your friends' landlord details that would be great. Any idea what his/her apartment is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

I sent you a PM yesterday with his email address? I hope I sent it to you anyway? :)

It's a lovely little one bedroom and a great location in Angel, only two mins from the tube and the shops/pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

My brother moved from here to the uk, and was getting MAD quotes on moving stuff. In the end he used McCanns your man in Laois, they do the uk weekly , no one could beat his price

http://mccanns.yodel.ie/Contact.html

hth's ...and good luck in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Thread of the same name from UK forum has been moved and merged into this one.

Thank you,
    Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

Guys, many thanks for the very helpful replies, I have plenty to work off now. Have a great weekend to all! S :)

Advertisement