Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 and 10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

D_BEAR wrote: »

Straight $ to € conversion, €349 in the European play stores from Nov. 13th. No LTE and only 16Gb max of storage, that sucks. Think I'll get this anyway and try and cancel my LTE contract.

Google Music is also coming on No. 13th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

About time for Google Music. I oresume it will also include play books amd movies also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Ye €349 still seems cheap for a brand new 16gb phone with no LTE the nearest iphone would be the 4s which is still €579.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

About time for Google Music. I oresume it will also include play books amd movies also?

Still no play store for ireland. U.K, France, Germany, Italy and Spain only EU countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I want a Nexus 10!

How do I convince the missus we "need" it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Still no play store for ireland. U.K, France, Germany, Italy and Spain only EU countries

I was able to get book and movies on my n7 in UK, although no music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

nedd wrote: »
    I want a Nexus 10!

How do I convince the missus we "need" it?

If the missus needs convincing then she's probably an Apple acolyte and therefore there's no hope for her. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Heroditas wrote: »

If the missus needs convincing then she's probably an Apple acolyte and therefore there's no hope for her. :(

She is neither Android or Apple fan girl. She hates all gadgets In equal measure :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I thought this announcement was cancelled because of that storm.

I watched the windows phone 8 one instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

That's a great price for a SIM free phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

EGriff wrote: »
    I thought this announcement was cancelled because of that storm.

I watched the windows phone 8 one instead.

The event was. They just did a press release & announcement instead

Also looking at the N4....
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Is the Nexus 4 really going to be €299 for the 8gb and €349 for the 16gb? Don't get my hopes up here because that's a fantastic price and my iPhone 3GS is on its last legs :)

[edit]Ah I see there is no Play store for Ireland? How do we get the Nexus 4 then?

OctavarIan wrote: »

[edit]Ah I see there is no Play store for Ireland? How do we get the Nexus 4 then?

Via one of the mobile operators.
    You'll be able to pick them up via eBay and Amazon as well.

Video from the Verge at Google HQ about the devices and bits about 4.2

Strange decision making the back of the N4 glass. Probably trying to distinguish from the plastic feeling of last Nexus but still odd.
    New panorama mode looks amazing and Google Now is getting creepier and creepier :pac: Widgets being natively extended to the homescreen too.
    The screen on the N10 aswell looks bitchin

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Is the Nexus 4 really going to be €299 for the 8gb and €349 for the 16gb? Don't get my hopes up here because that's a fantastic price and my iPhone 3GS is on its last legs :)

Google seem to always convert their prices properly, so it should only cost you €230 or €270 for the Nexus 4. ;)

You'll be able to get the Nexus 4 unlocked at a place like http://www.handtec.co.uk/

I'll get the Nexus 10, only paid a large sum of money for the PrePay HTC One X a couple of months ago so I dunno about the 4 yet. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Those are insane prices. Let's hope the hardware lives up to expectations. I have confidence the 10 will, as it's Samsung. But I've never owned an LG phone so unsure what to expect

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

8gb internal storage is pathetic in a device with no sd card slot. Not everyone has a constant data connection or a big enough allowance to utilise cloud storage.

5starpool wrote: »
    8gb internal storage is pathetic in a device with no sd card slot. Not everyone has a constant data connection or a big enough allowance to utilise cloud storage.

Then get the 16gb?

Even 16gb is pushing it these days. I'm aware that's an option, but storage is so cheap these days there is no excuse not to have a 32gb option as well. 8gb would be unacceptable for me.

They're not catering for Ireland and our Third World pov. spec. broadband, wifi and mobile network coverage.
    For many other countries, 8GB or 16GB isn't a massive issue due to the high penetration of connectivity. We're paying the price here for being light years behind other countries, despite having the nerve to say we have a "Smart Ecoomy".

• Advertisement

They're not catering for Ireland and our Third World pov. spec. broadband, wifi and mobile network coverage.
    For many other countries, 8GB or 16GB isn't a massive issue due to the high penetration of connectivity. We're paying the price here for being light years behind other countries, despite having the nerve to say we have a "Smart Ecoomy".

Tbh we're really not that bad here due to the small area that requires covering. Major metropolitan areas in places like the US are fine but have the usual sh!t of differing frequencies and standards. Then when you get out rural (or not even rural. Towns the size of cork would be the same) you might have only 1 network out there and charging stupid prices.
    3 might get a lot of complaints (and deservedly so with a lot of their customer service problems) but without their efforts to gain a foothold & undercut the other operators I dont even want to think what 3G coverage & prices would be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Medu

MrGarak wrote: »
    Google seem to always convert their prices properly, so it should only cost you €230 or €270 for the Nexus 4. ;)

Not sure where you are getting those figures from but it will be ~€299 and ~€349 with VAT included. The Nexus 7 was $199/249 and ~€199/249 in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Are the euro prices not up on the play store yet?

Nexus 4s are £239 and £279.

Nexus 10s are £319 and £389.

If reviews are favourable I may get one of each.

Its been announced at €299 and €349 for the N4 and €399 and €499 for the N10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Dammit. Fixed. Meant to type €349

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Been in the market for a tablet for a while now and have been holding off, only really interested in something around the 10" mark. Nexus 10 looks like it will be top of my list at this stage, want to stick with Android (have the GNex), so Ipad is not on my list.

Any chance of seeing the 10 before Christmas in Ireland? presumably we won't have access to the Playuk store?

Will wait for reviews of Nexus 4 to see if it is worth upgrading from the GNex, at this stage though money is only likely to be afforded to a tablet so the Nexus4 might be pure class but still won't be able to consider it.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Been in the market for a table for a while now and have been holding off, only really interested in something around the 10" mark. Nexus 10 looks like it will be top of my list at this stage, want to stick with Android (have the GNex), so Ipad is not on my list. Any chance of seeing the 10 before Christmas in Ireland? presumably we won't have access to the Playuk store?

I imagine plenty of retailers will stock them in time considering the reception the N7 got

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

Video from the Verge at Google HQ about the devices and bits about 4.2

Strange decision making the back of the N4 glass. Probably trying to distinguish from the plastic feeling of last Nexus but still odd.
    New panorama mode looks amazing and Google Now is getting creepier and creepier :pac: Widgets being natively extended to the homescreen too.
    The screen on the N10 aswell looks bitchin

Might be glass to facilitate the wireless charging?

• Advertisement

aka Dus wrote: »
    Might be glass to facilitate the wireless charging?

Doubt it. Both the Palm Pre and the new Lumia have inductive charging and are both plastic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The lack of SD slot would make the N4 a non-runner for me and for a lot of people I suspect.

The lack of SD slot would make the N4 a non-runner for me and for a lot of people I suspect.

When they're selling without a massive margin (unlike Apple) you'd think that extra space via SD for downloads would be a smart strategy.

I dont think it will. The only flagship phone on the market with micro SD right now is the S3 and thats over €200 more expensive off contract.
    People work with constraints if they think the price is worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

When they're selling without a massive margin (unlike Apple) you'd think that extra space via SD for downloads would be a smart strategy.

I have the GNex with 16GB. It's manageable, but really only just. I make full use of Google Music, Picassa, G+ etc... but I still find I need to carefully manage songs stored on my phone in offline version. Streaming in Ireland, even with a "high flying" network like Vodafone is very undependable.

Was recently at an event and was trying to record video and ended up having to delete loads of stuff to make it fit. 16gb is just inconvenient.

32GB and then the cloud is probably manageable and I'd settle for that, but anything less and I find it can get frustrating.

Any mention of the 10 having wireless charge btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Buttonftw wrote: »

It's a Nexus, they don't have SD cards and probably never will, Google don't like them as they're unreliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

Nolimits wrote: »
    It's a Nexus, they don't have SD cards and probably never will, Google don't like them as they're unreliable.

When HTC presented their One X I queried their lack of SD card slot, the rep tried to counter that with their free Dropbox storage for X months. I then learned HTC have a stake in dropbox so it makes sense for them to leave out an SD card slot on their phones and push users on to their cloud storage solution.

I imagine that is the same strategy as Google. No SD card slots and force people to use their streaming/cloud services.

The cloud is great in some circumstances but if you travel frequently it's useless without paying huge data roaming charges. I really hope in the coming years there's some market consolidation amongst the networks across Europe, that in conjunction with EU directives to lower data roaming charges might make cloud storage a more viable option.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I watche the video on the verge which was quite interesting, the 4 looks like a lovely device. i've a feeling though that this device will eventually be available in 32gb.

its annoying that the didnt do it straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Nolimits wrote: »

They used to. it was the Nexus S that changed. they went from minimal internal storage and SD cards to internal storage, while I prefer a mixture of both (enables getting pictures etc off easier) I don't use it for music apart from a few songs in case battery goes on MP3 player.

But to say it is a Nexus so don't have it and probably never will is false, they have had them, they changed their view and took them out and so nothing to stop them reevaluating again and having them back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

eoferrall wrote: »

But to say it is a Nexus so don't have it and probably never will is false, they have had them, they changed their view and took them out and so nothing to stop them reevaluating again and having them back in.

They changed their view because of the wide availabilty of cloud services/storage.
    Unless the cloud is a fad (highly unlikely) then we wont be seeing SD cards in Nexi again.

16gb storage is enough, in my opinion. All you really need to have is space for photos and some music. Unless you're a mad gamer (I stick to basic games on phone and Xbox for real games), space won't be an issue.

No matter what storage I have on a phone, I will manage to fill it. My HOX is 32gb and its always full. My N7 is 16gb and full. My laptop, 320gb....full. External HD 500gb.....yep, full. Maybe its just a problem I have.

In any case, I purchased a USB OTG cable for my N7 along with a couple of 32gb USB sticks for €12 each. Sorted.

Nexus 4 looks quite tempting, especially if it has decent battery life.

• Advertisement

I'm sort of tempted by the N4, but I think I'll wait until next years iteration, and just keep my GN until then. It would really be a frivolous upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Definitely getting a Nexus 4, ive held off buying a proper Android phone this long so for the price this is perfect for me, I think it has to be a 16Gb model aswell, I have a mate working and living in NYC, would it be handier/cheaper getting it sent to him and him bringing it home at Xmas time?

As its a sim free phone I doubt there would be an issue, but just would not mind knowing if there is a difference, could the US model be CDMA and ours GSM?

The only reason I can think of for no SD slot is while Google still supports removable storage with the Android OS they are not using it for diff reasons.

One reason is the file system on the devices use EXT instead of a combo of FAT & EXT. The reason for this is that with a combination of FAT and EXT you sacrifice speed and safety causing permission problems.

The second plus of using a proper EXT file system is that when you are connecting your machine to your PC you can’t fook up the file system since you will not have block level access. Instead you will now have a FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) system is used to mount a virtual SD Card that you can write to....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Great value for money compared to all the rest. I was going to skip this Nexus release but more than likely will get one now.
    16 GB works fine for me, no big deal.

Shows how much these things actually cost and the level of markup the rest of the competition are getting from each sale. That's why Apple, Samsung etc make billions each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Excellent, I'll buy the 16GB as soon as I can. No reason not to. No LTE = GREAT, better battery life. The battery is huge as well. No external SD is a bit meh, but I'll deal with it. The phone costs nothing.

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Excellent, I'll buy the 16GB as soon as I can. No reason not to. No LTE = GREAT, better battery life. The battery is huge as well. No external SD is a bit meh, but I'll deal with it. The phone costs nothing.

Yeah, 2100mAh is quite a jump compared to some of the batteries out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Yeah, 2100mAh is quite a jump compared to some of the batteries out there.
    The Samsung Galaxy Nexus only has a 1750mAh battery, so that is a decent increase especially in comparison to the competition.

Certainly is.
    I get a day out of the Nexus but if I'm using a lot of the services and some of the location settings, along with a bit of browsing, the battery drops awfully quickly.
    2100mAh should keep it ticking over for a full day quite comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

Anyone ever had an LG smart phone? Is their build quality any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

eoferrall wrote: »
    They used to. it was the Nexus S that changed. they went from minimal internal storage and SD cards to internal storage, while I prefer a mixture of both (enables getting pictures etc off easier) I don't use it for music apart from a few songs in case battery goes on MP3 player.

http://www.androidcentral.com/why-nexus-devices-have-no-sd-card

Google still supports removable storage in Android, but it is leading by example and providing phones (and now a tablet) with one big block of storage that users can use for anything they like -- be it media, documents, or apps. There are a couple of side benefits to this approach as well. The first one is a bit geeky -- it allows the device to use ext file systems instead of a mix of ext and FAT. This is faster and safer -- both for the data on the device and the way it's handled, and access to our own personal data. A journalized file system means fewer file errors, and ext preserves file system permissions so random code can't find your pictures or documents folder.

Another benefit is that the host machine (when your device is connected to a computer) can't muck things up and molest the file system, as it doesn't have block-level access to the files. Instead, a proxy FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) file system is used to mount a psuedo-SD card folder so that your computer can read and write to it via MTP. This means you won't get errors from incorrectly unmounting your phone, and the device still has access to all the data even while plugged into a PC.

Does Google want you to use Google Play and its cloud services? Of course it does. But there is no secret evil cabal in Mountain View that held back the SD card slot to force it on you. In fact, you're still free to use other cloud solutions like Amazon, Dropbox, or even a shared drive on your desktop PC. Nobody has to like the fact that Nexus devices ship with no SD card slot, but let's stop looking for conspiracies when we already know the answer.

That's why Nexus devices don't have SD cards, and probably never will, I never said they haven't in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

spankalish wrote: »
    Anyone ever had an LG smart phone? Is their build quality any good?

Have a few here in work, build quality is OK, very plasticy feeling to them but this Nexus is wrapped in glass!

• Advertisement
Advertisement