Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 and 10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

draffodx wrote: »

Have a few here in work, build quality is OK, very plasticy feeling to them but this Nexus is wrapped in glass!

Will apple sue? Someone else is using glass.... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

Have a few here in work, build quality is OK, very plasticy feeling to them but this Nexus is wrapped in glass!

Do you think ud get 2 yrs out of the phone? I deffo get the 16Gb version sounds really good. Only for the storage. But I'll manage. Battery is non removable too which is a downer. Iv a htc desire hd for the past 2 years. It fell into a bucket of water in at work and the gps stopped working so want to get a new phone. Was thinking of getting this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

spankalish wrote: »
    It fell into a bucket of water in at work and the gps stopped working so want to get a new phone. Was thinking of getting this

So everything still works except the GPS? That's mad, usually a bucket of water would be the death of a phone.

I've still got an original Desire myself.
    I'll probably get this phone but I'm running ICS on the desire already and Jelly Bean is pretty similar. I'm kinda tempted to move to windows phone just for a totally new UI, but no apps hmmm.

We're spoiled for choice this Christmas anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus only has a 1750mAh battery, so that is a decent increase especially in comparison to the competition.

Maybe so but the galaxy nexus battery is replaceable and there are plenty of extended batteries for the galaxy nexus out there look up ie.mobilefun.com they even have from 2000mah upto 3500mah battery. You can't do that with the new nexus 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

EGriff wrote: »
    So everything still works except the GPS? That's mad, usually a bucket of water would be the death of a phone.

I've still got an original Desire myself.
    I'll probably get this phone but I'm running ICS on the desire already and Jelly Bean is pretty similar. I'm kinda tempted to move to windows phone just for a totally new UI, but no apps hmmm.

We're spoiled for choice this Christmas anyway.

Dam right were spoiled. I'd rather stick with Android tho. I think their more solid. HTC are releasing some serious phones. Like the J butterfly but that's only in Japan. They might release something similar over here. Other then the HTC one x+ that is. The desire hd had some serious build quality. Its falling I dont know how many times. After falling into the bucket I took out the bat and sim and put it in a box of rice for 2 days heating it from time to time. Amazed I didnt fry the phone. Screen is a little off and gps is gone but everything else is working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

spankalish wrote: »

Do you think ud get 2 yrs out of the phone? I deffo get the 16Gb version sounds really good. Only for the storage. But I'll manage. Battery is non removable too which is a downer. Iv a htc desire hd for the past 2 years. It fell into a bucket of water in at work and the gps stopped working so want to get a new phone. Was thinking of getting this

Yep you'd get two years due to the fact tht the phone will still get the OS upgrades rolled out to it.
    I got my wife a Desire HD for Chistmas to years ago and it's still running on Gingerbread.
    Meanwhile my Galaxy Nexus will still get upgrades for the forseeable future.
    I might add that her Desire HD is still working fine and if I rooted it I could upgrade it to Jellybean but plenty of people are not comfortable doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Better specs than an iPhone 5 and half the price.

It makes you wonder what sort of money apple/samsung etc. do be making, they certainly won't be getting anything off me.

This phone is going to give the competition a much needed kick in the h*le (if people look beyond the half eaten apple)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

Will there be any shops here that will have these to test them out myself?

Real pity they don't have a 32GB coming out now or I'd get it without even thinking about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Non removable battery? What the hell is the point of that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

mckildare wrote: »
    Will there be any shops here that will have these to test them out myself?

Real pity they don't have a 32GB coming out now or I'd get it without even thinking about it!

Judging by how the nexus 7 releases went, I'd say they'll release a 32gb one in the future.

Really want to get myself a new phone and don't want to wait any longer...I just don't think 16gb will be enough. I do have an old 64gb iPod touch so maybe I'm being greedy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

So I'm still running a HTC Desire with 124mb internal storage and its depressing. How does the Nexus 4 compare to the Galaxy Nexus? Any drawbacks to going for the Nexus 4 besides the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

Judging by how the nexus 7 releases went, I'd say they'll release a 32gb one in the future.

Really want to get myself a new phone and don't want to wait any longer...I just don't think 16gb will be enough. I do have an old 64gb iPod touch so maybe I'm being greedy...

Same boat myself, dont want to wait any longer with the piece of junk I have now. Either I force myself to wait or I'll end up getting the Xperia T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

aramush wrote: »
    Better specs than an iPhone 5 and half the price.

It makes you wonder what sort of money apple/samsung etc. do be making, they certainly won't be getting anything off me.

This phone is going to give the competition a much needed kick in the h*le (if people look beyond the half eaten apple)
    Little harsh, research and development can cost a lot of money, also once you buy this phone you'll carry on earning Google money for the entire time you have the phone, through the likes of apps etc but also ads whilst browsing the internet. The likes of Samsung can only make money off you once which has to include the cost of R&D along with advertising, the cost of putting the phone together and a profit for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Dave147 wrote: »
    Non removable battery? What the hell is the point of that?

Makes it more solid. I've been using mobiles since 1997 and I have still to encounter an occasion where I would have needed to swap a battery and I am a relatively heavy user. There are plenty of really good USB attachments that will give a couple of charges, much better and cheaper than a battery plus you don't need to switch off the phone when you are low on juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Definitely going to be picking up the 16GB N4. Anyone know anywhere taking pre-orders that ship to Ireland? Or if CPW/networks are getting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

Might be a silly question but if/when your phone crashes/freezes, without a removable battery how on earth do you sort it out? My SIII didn't crash at all until after JB update and has now crashed twice - could be a rogue app to blame. The only way to get the phone responding again was to reset the battery.

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Might be a silly question but if/when your phone crashes/freezes, without a removable battery how on earth do you sort it out? My SIII didn't crash at all until after JB update and has now crashed twice - could be a rogue app to blame. The only way to get the phone responding again was to reset the battery.
    Phones usually have a hardware reset button combo. On my SII it's hold down the power and home button together. It's probably the same for the SIII. The Nexus 7 resets when you hold the power button (for 10 secs I think), just like a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I'm seriously tempted to go for one of these. Was going to hold onto my SGSI for a while longer but this price point is really good. Might try and get the brother to pick me up one from the states and send it over. Should still save significantly unless I get caught for VAT. Anybody have any experience with this? I'm thinking the 16GB would work out at ~€300 with the extra shipping. I'll do the maths closer to the time and see if it's worth the extra hassle.

The lack of SD card is a slight negative but I just had a look at the memory usage on my current phone and most of it was taken up with videos I put on and forgot about :rolleyes:. I think I could live with the 16GB. Might give me a bit of incentive for some quality control over what I put on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I'm a little dubious until I see a review of the nexus 10, I'd imagine that screen resolution will push the processor hard.

Can anyone tell me the name of that new delivery service where you can order items to a Northern Irish address and they then send it on to the Republic? And has anyone used it for google play store hardware purchases? I was thinking I could vpn to the UK and order it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm a little dubious until I see a review of the nexus 10, I'd imagine that screen resolution will push the processor hard.

Can anyone tell me the name of that new delivery service where you can order items to a Northern Irish address and they then send it on to the Republic? And has anyone used it for google play store hardware purchases? I was thinking I could vpn to the UK and order it that way.

Parcel Motel. Don't think it will work though, pretty sure you need a UK credit card to buy off the UK Play store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Wouldn't it make sense to split this into separate threads. I'm not sure if people are talking about the Nexus 4 or 10?

Edit: Or just rename to Nexus 4 as there is already a thread for the Nexus 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

The big thing for me, already being a very satisfied user of the Galaxy Nexus , is whether the LG will hold up the same quality and reliability as the Samsung one...

I have never owned or considered looking at an LG phone before so was wary when I heard they were going to be building the next Nexus....
    I do also have the Nexus 7 tab, which obviously isnt built by Samsung, so I suppose we trust Google to have squeezed plenty of quality from the LG tank :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

The big thing for me, already being a very satisfied user of the Galaxy Nexus , is whether the LG will hold up the same quality and reliability as the Samsung one...

I have never owned or considered looking at an LG phone before so was wary when I heard they were going to be building the next Nexus....
    I do also have the Nexus 7 tab, which obviously isnt built by Samsung, so I suppose we trust Google to have squeezed plenty of quality from the LG tank :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Parcel Motel. Don't think it will work though, pretty sure you need a UK credit card to buy off the UK Play store.
    I think what you need is a credit card with a UK billing address. I called my credit card company yesterday to see if I could use my Parcel Motel address as a secondary billing address. I was told my credit card company didn't allow secondary billing addresses (mbna) he did say though that I could set up a temporary change of address but it would have to be residential not commercial. If you have any family /friends in UK this might be an option. I'm pretty certain Google Play will ship to address other than billing address and this is where parcel motel would come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Nolimits wrote: »
    I think what you need is a credit card with a UK billing address. I called my credit card company yesterday to see if I could use my Parcel Motel address as a secondary billing address. I was told my credit card company didn't allow secondary billing addresses (mbna) he did say though that I could set up a temporary change of address but it would have to be residential not commercial. If you have any family /friends in UK this might be an option. I'm pretty certain Google Play will ship to address other than billing address and this is where parcel motel would come in.

Yeah its a pity the play store doesnt accept paypal as long as the item is being shipped within the UK?

I presume its the same rules for the UK as the US version (Couldnt find the UK help?)

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1267137
    International credit cards

At this time we only accept US-based credit cards for US users and Visa, MasterCard and Visa Electron for international users making purchases from Google Play. You can add additional cards to your Google Wallet account at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I was dubious about LG myself but my friend bought one of the old gt540 (one of the first androids here officially) and was a great buy, so much so he splashed out on the new Optimus 4x HD p880 a few weeks back, after a good play with it I'm sold!

It feels a lot better built than a Gs3 IMO, I used to repair phones for a living and I can tell you Samsung have the cheapest **** parts in all their handsets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

OK, I'm sold and want to pick one of these up. I know you have to buy it in the PLAY store. I have a friend who is over and back from the states ever few weeks; would they be able to use my card (whilst in the US) to order one and get it sent to their hotel. Assuming my card company don't flag it would google allow it sent to a USA address even tough I(he) is using an Irish issued card? If that makes sense.
    Then just bring it home to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

OK, I'm sold and want to pick one of these up. I know you have to buy it in the PLAY store. I have a friend who is over and back from the states ever few weeks; would they be able to use my card (whilst in the US) to order one and get it sent to their hotel. Assuming my card company don't flag it would google allow it sent to a USA address even tough I(he) is using an Irish issued card? If that makes sense.
    Its a pity you can't read otherwise you would have seen 2 posts above you the answer to your very question.

Sorry can't read , only write... see it now

How about disposable credit card thingys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Read posts just above your question, already answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

But seriously whats the best way to buy a Nexus 4 in ireland? Expansys and http://www.handtec.co.uk/ seem overpriced. Is there anywhere that sells it for close to the normal price?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

But seriously whats the best way to buy a Nexus 4 in ireland? Expansys and http://www.handtec.co.uk/ seem overpriced. Is there anywhere that sells it for close to the normal price?

Handtec doesn't make sense. All the different Nexus generations are priced the same.http://www.handtec.co.uk/section.php/384/1/google

• Registered Users Posts: 30 3bs

aka Dus wrote: »
    Handtec doesn't make sense. All the different Nexus generations are priced the same.http://www.handtec.co.uk/section.php/384/1/google

Looks like they're only selling the 8GB and at the price of the 16GB model.

Never mind. They're selling the 16GB too. Has anyone bought from them? Are they reliable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

3bs wrote: »
    Never mind. They're selling the 16GB too. Has anyone bought from them? Are they reliable?

Not sure. But 420 euro!! Might as well buy on a contract or something.

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Not sure. But 420 euro!! Might as well buy on a contract or something.

I never buy on contract. It's 70 euro more than buying it from the Play store directly and I guess that's the price we pay for living in Ireland :p

I might hold off and see how much it costs with the carriers and just buy it up front as long as it's unlocked. I'm more concerned about when they'll be getting it.

Edit: a quick google search shows they seem to be fairly reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stk207

So who do we think will be the first carrier to get the n4 in??

stk207 wrote: »
    So who do we think will be the first carrier to get the n4 in??

In our opinion? I say probably Vodafone but who knows, maybe O2 will have the upper hand since they already have exclusivity for the first month in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 mikhol

ok, so guys... do you know something about buy nexus 4 in carphone warehouse? I read that you can buy it in this stores in the uk? and one more question... my friend is living in the uk, so if he'll buy for me from google play and send to me to ireland wont be any problem with this phone with working in irish vodafone?

mikhol wrote: »
    ok, so guys... do you know something about buy nexus 4 in carphone warehouse? I read that you can buy it in this stores in the uk? and one more question... my friend is living in the uk, so if he'll buy for me from google play and send to me to ireland wont be any problem with this phone with working in irish vodafone?

As far as I know, 02 will have exclusivity for the first month so he won't be able to buy it from the Carphone Warehouse till a month after. I also think it's unlocked but tell your friend to ask them if it's unlocked or not just in case. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Yes he can get it from the play store in the uk, it'll be unlocked so will work with your vodafone sim card.

that's truth... but I'm thinking that if it's unlocked so should work in any carrier SIM, doesn't matter irish, british...

I talked with my friend from UK and he told me that price it's 279£ for Nexus 4 16GB, so it's nearly €350 for phone and few € for "UPS" to Ireland :) I'm thinking it's good price. Now he can do only preorder and they will send to him on 13th of November so I hope that I'll have this phone in my hands in next week :D

I talked with my friend from UK and he told me that price it's 279£ for Nexus 4 16GB, so it's nearly €350 for phone and few € for "UPS" to Ireland :) I'm thinking it's good price. Now he can do only preorder and they will send to him on 13th of November so I hope that I'll have this phone in my hands in next week :D

That's great! I wish I knew someone in the UK that could do that for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 monkey2

Anyone know how much a Galaxy S3 in perfect condition would go for second hand?

Want to sell mine to get a Nexus 4, if it covers the cost more or less. Would be nice to have latest android without having to install roms, though I'd miss the micro SD card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

How do you plan to send money for it? PayPal? Damn PayPal will take 3% and will take the most rubbish exchange rate, so it being 350eu is quite a long shot.

I want to do similar thing with a friend in north.

How do you plan to send money for it? PayPal? Damn PayPal will take 3% and will take the most rubbish exchange rate, so it being 350eu is quite a long shot.

I want to do similar thing with a friend in north.
    Simple... My friend will pay for this phone, and I will send him money by bank... normal international transfer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Simple... My friend will pay for this phone, and I will send him money by bank... normal international transfer :)

yup. was thinking of doing it same way too. internet banking FTW!

still, i will wait. i want to see all the avelable retailers for us. I would prefer paying little bit more, but have the peace of mind. Who knows, maybe there will be some very bad faults and device will need to be returned. it will be pain in a hole to deal with google, if you will need to do it through someone in another country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Sorry if this has been answered already but does the Nexus 4 take a micro sim? I can't see any mention of sim size on the Play page.

• Advertisement
Advertisement