Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 and 10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

gdon wrote: »
    Well in all my haste, I managed to get 2 N10 16gb instead of one lol. Got the three confirmation emails and the cash has been debited. Tried to cancel the extra one but I was over the hour. Ah well 2 N10 and 1N4, I am sure I can find some one who wants the extra N10.
    Anyway be careful with all those failed attempts bah lol.

What did it work out at in € for the Nexus 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Anyone know if any stores will be selling the N10 here?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

enigma_b17 wrote: »
    The Nexus 10 16gb isn't last time I checked.

I did the following

1- go to https://checkout.google.com/
    2- Add Shipping Address for ParcelMotel address (set as default shipping address).
    3- Add new card, make sure to set the billing address to be the ParcelMotel one.
    4- Activate TunnelBear and switch to UK, and activate.
    5- Open up google store for nexus, add to cart and proceed.
    Proceed through, it may take a few goes

[edit]
    My order is currently "Pending" so we'll see :)

[edit 2]
    nexus 10 16gb has gone back to "coming soon" lol

Thanks!!

Did you leave your credit card address as Ireland, like do I need to go onto the aib website and change my address details so that it looks like an English card?

You still in pending status?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 My Back Pages

The Nexus 10 16gb isn't last time I checked.

I did the following

1- go to https://checkout.google.com/
    2- Add Shipping Address for ParcelMotel address (set as default shipping address).
    3- Add new card, make sure to set the billing address to be the ParcelMotel one.
    4- Activate TunnelBear and switch to UK, and activate.
    5- Open up google store for nexus, add to cart and proceed.
    Proceed through, it may take a few goes

[edit]
    My order is currently "Pending" so we'll see :)

[edit 2]
    nexus 10 16gb has gone back to "coming soon" lol

I'm in the same position with pending order. Think the order went through (after some problems with payment being rejected by credit card company).

I have a receipt email, but with it sitting in pending in Google Wallet I am still not fully confident!

do you mind me asking what your order status in the play store is? Mine says "Pre-ordered" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

You dont need to modify the address associated with the card, Google can't read that, just the address you associate with the card via the google account.

eh no idea, can't seem to check the status of my order through the play store, where you reading that from?
    still "pending"...so im a little cautious as to whether or not it will work, time shall tell. Google site says if order is stuck in "Pending" for more than 3 days to contact them.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    What did it work out at in € for the Nexus 10?

£319.00 for the 16gb WiFi = €399 approx

I was checking the order status in the play store at the very bottom of main page "My Orders and Settings"

I got an email from Google support to say that "According to our records, your order should ship by the evening of November 15" so hoping that means the transaction has gone through on some level

Same...mine says pre-ordered...so I assume im the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

I haven't been able to order the N4, keeps telling me it's 'coming soon'

Just from reading around the different tech sites (and since Google is saying nothing) I have a bad feeling that Google has allocated only an extremely limited amount of stock to the Play Store and hopes the majority will end up going to the network operators or CPW and the like.

It simply doesn't make sense that their launch supply would be so constricted if they intended Play being a main sales channel. They launched N7 only a few months ago and if that didn't show how popular the N4 would be then they must have made a conscious decision not to ramp up supply through the Play store to meet the demand.

Fingers crossed! I just have a sneaking suspicion that Google will catch me out :D

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed! I just have a sneaking suspicion that Google will catch me out :D

Don't see why they wouldn't send it. It was open to UK postal addresses only...you ordered it through a UK postal address...simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gdon

The UK play store is sold out but the US has both models still. You could use us vpn and US delivery forwarding service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I have colleges in America for the next two weeks but seems like its sold out in US too.

On another note dreamer of the year goes to:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/lg-GOOGLE-NEXUS-4-8GB-UNLOCKED-BRAND-NEW-GOOGLE-HAVE-SOLD-OUT-/221153176250?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item337dc1aaba#ht_500wt_1156

• Registered Users Posts: 31 elarkin

Really want the Nexus 4 as I lost S2 last week. What is the story if I was to buy it off a lad from america on ebay?

Would I get stung for customs or whats the craic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

wingnut wrote: »
    I have colleges in America for the next two weeks but seems like its sold out in US too.

On another note dreamer of the year goes to:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/lg-GOOGLE-NEXUS-4-8GB-UNLOCKED-BRAND-NEW-GOOGLE-HAVE-SOLD-OUT-/221153176250?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item337dc1aaba#ht_500wt_1156

Nice of them to offer free P&P though??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

elarkin wrote: »

The answer is: Maybe.

elarkin wrote: »
    Really want the Nexus 4 as I lost S2 last week. What is the story if I was to buy it off a lad from america on ebay?

I have ordered from amazon before blue tooth mouse and keyboard, had no problems with customs. If you get the seller to mark it as a gift you may not have import charges. Note most 3rd party delivery company's that accept the item on your behalf won't pay any custom charges.

16/GB N10 still available on US play store.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Can the Nexus 10 handle an external flash drive? I seem to recall reading that JellyBean can but that the Nexus also uses some sort of odd file system which might prevent it. Anyone know for sure?
    I want to see if there's a way around the lack of SD card storage space as I plan on using the tablet primarily when I have no access to the cloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

ixoy wrote: »
    Can the Nexus 10 handle an external flash drive? I seem to recall reading that JellyBean can but that the Nexus also uses some sort of odd file system which might prevent it. Anyone know for sure?
    I want to see if there's a way around the lack of SD card storage space as I plan on using the tablet primarily when I have no access to the cloud.

Nexus 7 takes external through USB OTG...need a micro usb to full size usb dongle, cheap as chips. Then get stickmount from the app store and it mounts in the file system like any other directory.

So thats a yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

If you managed to get the N4 ordered then this really must be your lucky day. Just got an email saying Spotify has arrived in Ireland! Quick. Buy a lotto ticket! (and give me half :))

Ha ha, seriously. I didn't manage to see a Nexus 4 in the wild of the savannah that is Play Store. Really rubbish from Google that.

I didn't win the €170 Euromillions last night either. (Probably had more chance than nabbing a Nexus 4 truth be told)

Eh well my Nexus10 order is still tellin me that it's "Pending" so no idea what's happening! :)

The answer is: Maybe.

Soo true...
    There's no definitive way to avoid it. If you have it marked at a gift and its value is say <€80 they'll generally ignore it i've found, but if you get something that's more expensive, or not marked as a gift, you'll probably get stung.

And the only way to pay customs charges is to go down to the bloody customs office!

@My Back Pages
    Is your order still pending? Where did you get that message from Google from? did you contact help/Support?

@My Back Pages
    Is your order still pending? Where did you get that message from Google from? did you contact help/Support?

Log into Google wallet and it shows all your purchases. I got an email querying my order, lol they were concerned that I actually wanted the N4 and two N10. It's probably because all those frantically hitting the buy button over and over. Anyway they said the order will be processed and shipped tommorow...hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Another shambles launch from Google, thought after the SGN last year they would work it out but obviously both.

Waiting not patiently for N4 16Gb to come back into stock.

Wooha

Just got email from Google,

"Great news Your nexus 4 has shipped"

So ordering from Ireland using uk vpn trick with delivery forwarding company works!

Now just waiting on the nexus 10 any one know what shipping company Google play uses in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I guarantee you there will be a 32GB Nexus 4 in the coming months just like there was a 32GB Nexus 7, 16GB is far too small memory which is why im sticking with my Galaxy S3 but when the 32GB Nexus 4 comes out and assuming it's not crazy money i could very well be tempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Log into Google wallet and it shows all your purchases. I got an email querying my order, lol they were concerned that I actually wanted the N4 and two N10. It's probably because all those frantically hitting the buy button over and over. Anyway they said the order will be processed and shipped tommorow...hooray!

jaysus you must be loaded mate buying 2 Nexus 10's and a Nexus 4 fair play:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 kevob_3

Does anyone know if Google will previously announce when the second batch will be released or will the "Sold Out" icon in the Play Store suddenly disappear once they are available again? I'm too worried that I'm going to miss the second launch and they sell out again...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kevob_3

And is it just me or is TunnelBear down for anyone else? Mine won't sign in.

jonnny68 wrote: »

jaysus you must be loaded mate buying 2 Nexus 10's and a Nexus 4 fair play:eek::D

Lol I saved up but I didn't intentionally want 2 N10s. It was a mistake in Google system as it didn't report the order was successful. Also it probably didn't help I must have it the order button 50 times lol. However they did email me and ask if I really wanted all those purchases lol.

kevob_3 wrote: »
    And is it just me or is TunnelBear down for anyone else? Mine won't sign in.

Sign up for a free trial on a VPN service. I used pandapow no issues reliable and stable. I can choose either UK or us vpns. Also you can subscribe for a month or more and its cheap!

@My Back Pages

No, order has estimated shipping date 15th now in play store. I just went to help in play and there was a link to send a query about order status.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

long_b wrote: »
    Have you seen many Google shops around the place ?

Don't see what that has to do with anything? As CPW and the likes have it in up North...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Hm. There are phones coming with the same specs as the Nexus 4, sometimes better (SD card slot etc). Perhaps I'll hold off purchasing this one (considering all the hassle).

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Hm. There are phones coming with the same specs as the Nexus 4, sometimes better (SD card slot etc). Perhaps I'll hold off purchasing this one (considering all the hassle).

yeah, but the amazing thing is the price, AND, stock Android, which is SO much better than any variant of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

GWNiall wrote: »
    yeah, but the amazing thing is the price, AND, stock Android, which is SO much better than any variant of it!

True. But, for us in IE the price isn't that low. Still around 450 euro, right? Might as well get another phone on contract for 180 euro, then pay 20-25 a month for it (I need data anyway, right).

Will see. Would be nice to get one for myself as an xmas gift though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Mathiasb wrote: »
    True. But, for us in IE the price isn't that low. Still around 450 euro, right? Might as well get another phone on contract for 180 euro, then pay 20-25 a month for it (I need data anyway, right).

If you buy from the play store its €309(£249 including shipping) for an 8GB nexus 4.
    Then I don't know if you'd switch to prepay or not, but three's €20 top up is unbeatable for the price. You can even set it up to automatically top you up every month.
    Works out at €670 for 18 months or ~€37 a month. Good luck finding anything remotely similar for your money and plus your not tied to any contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Butsymarc

Was going to get this phone but I am reconsidering as Vodafone a releasing a 4G network next year and this phone wont have support for it.

http://www.vodafone.ie/phones-plans/smartphones/4g/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Butsymarc wrote: »
    Was going to get this phone but I am reconsidering as Vodafone a releasing a 4G network next year and this phone wont have support for it.

Every network will be releasing a 4G network next year.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/30238-comreg-reveals-4g-auction/

And if you are on Vodafone and live in one of the areas when they have DC-HSDPA coverage you could get up to 42 Mbit/s on the Nexus 4 as it stands now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Butsymarc wrote: »

The Nexus 5 will more than likely be out before 4G becomes a viable option in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 3bs

The Nexus 5 will more than likely be out before 4G becomes a viable option in this country.

Doesn't look like it. http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/30238-comreg-reveals-4g-auction/

Edit: just saws that stevenf17 already posted that link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

3bs wrote: »
    Doesn't look like it.
    Why because more spectrum was sold?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What are the chances of the Nexus 10 making it to mainstream stores before Christmas? Google Play is a lot of hassle but I do want this as a present...

As an aside: What's the big fuss with 4G? If it's not backed up by a decent data package limit then you'll go through it all really quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

ixoy wrote: »
    What are the chances of the Nexus 10 making it to mainstream stores before Christmas? Google Play is a lot of hassle but I do want this as a present...

As an aside: What's the big fuss with 4G? If it's not backed up by a decent data package limit then you'll go through it all really quickly.

I'd be surprised if no more than a handful hit shops here.
    Demand appears to be ridiculously high and I wonder if production is currently meeting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if no more than a handful hit shops here.
    Demand appears to be ridiculously high and I wonder if production is currently meeting it.

ah im not too bovvered. i will get it, no major rush. been around the block long enough to know early adapters get screwed and pay through the nose for the priviledge. hp touchpad cm9 FTW!

Well the N4 has arrived. To be precise parcel motel sent me a text at 3.45am this morning. So I collected it and its fab fab fan.

So to confirm:
    1 VPN to UK Google play allows you to order
    2 Change your Irish credit card to UK add a UK post code
    3 Use parcel motels UK NI address
    4 Your goods get delivered!!!,
    Super.

Yep mine was shipped this morning! :D
    What's odd is that although we can't directly order from Ireland, the parcel gets sent from the U.K. to a parcel truck in Dublin, then it goes up the north lol

****ing waste! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Well the N4 has arrived. To be precise parcel motel sent me a text at 3.45am this morning. So I collected it and its fab fab fan.

hate you, hate you, hate you.....:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement