Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 and 10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Also having the Uh oh error.

Using PMotel addy for delivery but on my cc details putting in PMotel Postcode and UK as country ain't working. Guessing you need to have a UK CC (assuming it's failing due to address mismatch?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Yeah I think so, they probably updated some verification system in their system since the first batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Keith186 wrote: »
    Yeah I think so, they probably updated some verification system in their system since the first batch.

I believe visa debit and MasterCard have less stringent address verification compared to visa. It sounds like the billing address is not authorised on the card.
    Is it a visa card? You could call your bank and ask them to add a UK address as a verified billing address.

I believe visa debit and MasterCard have less stringent address verification compared to visa. It sounds like the billing address is not authorised on the card.
    Is it a visa card? You could call your bank and ask them to add a UK address as a verified billing address.

Yes, it is a visa actually, don't have a debit card yet. I have Entropay but I think I read on here that virtual cards don't work.

I'll think about ringing them, not sure if I want it that much!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was using a friends visa debit card that has a UK address (scotland), but not working for me either unfortunately. I have someone up north that will buy it for me if I decide to pull the trigger, just need to decide if I will or not. That'll save me the frustration of not knowing what I did wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

SMB did you do anything different with your billing address than what I did above?

Keith if you are using the Parcelmotel address as your billing address, have a look at the parcel motel site - they mention a slightly different postcode on their website that says will work as well. I had the same problem as you, tried the other parcelmotel postcode and it worked. no idea why but there you go.

Cheers, tried that with lots of different combinations and it still didn't work.
    Did you use a Visa credit card?

Cheers, tried that with lots of different combinations and it still didn't work.
    Did you use a Visa credit card?

Yep used an AIB visa credit. didn't change the billing address with the bank

It took me several attempts to get set up with google though.

I had to delete my credit card entirely from the wallet, go to settings in wallet and change my home locations to UK.

Then re-entered credit card details with a parcelmotel N.I. address as the billing address and a face uk telephone number. worked like a charm.

Can't get my card authorised now after setting it up again, tried with my parcel motel address and my address as uk with PM postcode but no joy...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Guys i havent really being keepign up to speed on this but anyone know when we can expect to be able to buy these from google play or any other means in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Dcully wrote: »
    Guys i havent really being keepign up to speed on this but anyone know when we can expect to be able to buy these from google play or any other means in Ireland?

From what I gather, and correct me if I'm wrong here but there are no plans to bring out the N4 in Ireland. The N7 is available in a limited fashion here, for example at the Carphone Warehouse , and the N10 is literally un-released in Ireland and completely sold out in the UK and US Play stores and is difficult to find elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ordered the N10 at 12.00am on Wednesday. Delivered into my hand at work at 12.00pm today.

36 hour delivery period when I was expecting a 2-3 week wait.

Nice one google!

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Ordered the N10 at 12.00am on Wednesday. Delivered into my hand at work at 12.00pm today.

Nice one google!

Congrats, im so jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

From what I gather, and correct me if I'm wrong here but there are no plans to bring out the N4 in Ireland. The N7 is available in a limited fashion here, for example at the Carphone Warehouse , and the N10 is literally un-released in Ireland and completely sold out in the UK and US Play stores and is difficult to find elsewhere.

The N7 is widely available at retailers such as HMV, Argos, Currys, PC World, Tesco etc

• Registered Users Posts: 30 3bs

Can I buy a Nexus 4 from the UK carphone warehouse and use it in Ireland? Is it unlocked?
    They say they deliver to the UK mainland. Does that include Northern Ireland? If it does then I can use my parcel motel address.

They are all unlocked. Don't see why your idea won't work buy they might only take UK cards for payment.

Not sure if NI counts as mainland I doubt it but check cpw in NI perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 3bs

They are all unlocked. Don't see why your idea won't work buy they might only take UK cards for payment.

Not sure if NI counts as mainland I doubt it but check cpw in NI perhaps.

Do you have their number?

No

So has anyone managed to order one and use parcel motel for UK shipping address?
    If so im guessing some form of vpn is needed to order?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Anyone confident that the N10 shortage is just an initial thing? Seems to happen with a lot of new devices and then availability ramps up after a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ixoy wrote: »
    Anyone confident that the N10 shortage is just an initial thing? Seems to happen with a lot of new devices and then availability ramps up after a few months.

I don't think there is a shortage at all, Looking here it is available in 16GB and 32GB flavours from the UK Play store. It has been explained a few times on this thread on the N4 thread how to order from the play store and people have confirmed it works.

I don't think there is a shortage at all, Looking here it is available in 16GB and 32GB flavours from the UK Play store. It has been explained a few times on this thread on the N4 thread how to order from the play store and people have confirmed it works.
    Well surely there must be some shortage of stock if they're only selling through the Play Store? Why limit your potential market to just a handful of countries - if you've enough stock to sell more, surely you'd do just that? Plenty of people here eager to part with their cash but not quite ready to jump through proxies, faking billing addresses, etc just to get it.

Well surely there must be some shortage of stock if they're only selling through the Play Store? Why limit your potential market to just a handful of countries - if you've enough stock to sell more, surely you'd do just that? Plenty of people here eager to part with their cash but not quite ready to jump through proxies, faking billing addresses, etc just to get it.

Yup that's me in a nutshell, just gotta play the waiting game. I did hear that Google are deliberately selling this thing at practically a break even price and are relying on people spending in the Play store on dlc, so maybe the loss is too big on the N10 to start giving other retailers a slice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Just ordered an N10 32gb for the missus for chrimbo. Bet it arrives before my N4 ordered last week :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

S.M.B. wrote: »

Nice one google!

So, initial impressions and are you enjoying it? Did you get a case for it?

Cheers,
    Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

Google have really screwed this N4 launch up.

There must be more to it than meets the eye. Some kind of messy deal with LG so that most units sold will go through their channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

aka Dus wrote: »
    Google have really screwed this N4 launch up.

There must be more to it than meets the eye. Some kind of messy deal with LG so that most units sold will go through their channels.

Yet when Apple do something similar and the online store sells out of preorders in minutes, it's considered a huge success.

I'd love a N4 but I'm waiting another little while to see if they bring out a 32gb version. 16 should be the bottom size, and should go up to 64. Or just have a microSD card slot to solve all the problems.

This is supposed to be a developer phone rather than a consumer one (well not entirely) and devs dont really need huge amounts of space, so to keep the prices low they keep the storage low.

If it takes off in the consumer space (which is probably wont as you can't buy it in most stores even in the UK) they might reconsider the memory. But not the SD card.

For that reason I'm tempted to go with a GS3 or wait for the GS4.

I just assumed because it wasn't an Apple product it would come with an SD card slot :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gdon

Dcully wrote: »
    So has anyone managed to order one and use parcel motel for UK shipping address?
    If so im guessing some form of vpn is needed to order?

Yes I have and a few other people on this thread read back instructions are pretty clear, yes you need a proxy of some sort eg VPN to get to UK Google play and parcel motel works fine. I used them 3 times now and all my stuff delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 winnie2012

How do you know your in the UK play store??? everything is priced in dollars when i open play store on my laptop.. I,m using expat shield to I can use bbc iplayer so it should be a UK VPN...

• Advertisement

winnie2012 wrote: »
    How do you know your in the UK play store??? everything is priced in dollars when i open play store on my laptop.. I,m using expat shield to I can use bbc iplayer so it should be a UK VPN...

If its in dollars then your in US.
    Use a proper vpn stuff like unblockus doesn't work.
    Try pandapow you can get a free trial that worked fine for me.

I used tunnel bear. Make sure the service is connected before opening browser and you shouldn't have any problems then.

I used tunnel bear. Make sure the service is connected before opening browser and you shouldn't have any problems then.

Thanks, I,ll give that a go, hopefully n4 be in stock again soon.

Just on paying with Google wallet

You can add as many cards to google wallet as you like.

https://wallet.google.com/manage/#paymentMethods:

I set it up to add the same card with 3 different countries
    i.e. US UK IRE, note this card is visa debit from tsb.

Once you added them, you can then select in Google wallet
    which is default card to pay.

If I use my Irish card with UK billing info Google play charges in sterling

If I use my Irish card with IRE billing info Google play charges in Euros.

If I use my Irish card with US billing info Google play charges in dollars.

I haven't looked to see if I can get better value by buying the same item in different
    countries with credit card exchange rate and fees works out more or less same or
    even more.

Yeah I know I have too much time on my hands lol.

BTW you don't need VPN to do this but you do need a VPN to get to Google play UK
    or Google play US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

This works, but what happens regarding the address in the checkout cart? I doesn't seem to allow Irish addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

I just perused the thread more closely - I see Parcel Motel might sort out this delivery issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

madmoe wrote: »
    So, initial impressions and are you enjoying it? Did you get a case for it?

Cheers,
    Mark
    First impressions are great. I haven't had too much time to play with it over the weekend unfortunately though.

My experience seems to mirror that of when I got my first Android device (HTC Desire) a few years ago though. Impressed with the build quality but the lack of HD/10" tablet apps is a bit of a let down.

The nice weight & thickness make it very comfortable to hold.

No case as of yet and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot available (again another disadvantage of not going down the iPad route) with even the official one not being great. It means I'm not likely to take it out and about until I get my hands on a nice sleek case/stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

gdon wrote: »

I haven't looked to see if I can get better value by buying the same item in different
    countries with credit card exchange rate and fees works out more or less same or
    even more.

BTW you don't need VPN to do this but you do need a VPN to get to Google play UK
    or Google play US

Strange, Google Wallet will just keep overwriting my old card when I re-enter it with a different address. Leaving it as UK for now until the N4 is back in stock so I can pull the trigger quickly and avoid missing out.

gdon wrote: »

even more.

or Google play US

Just a quick question, when you did this, did you switch the address and phone number to the UK in the drop down menu's??? then just entered your Irish billing address with a UK postcode??

Curious: Any issues with return policies if it breaks since you ordered via a proxy address?

• Advertisement

Curious: Any issues with return policies if it breaks since you ordered via a proxy address?

Only issue is that you have to send it back via the UK....the UK relations will do nicely if ever (hopefully never) required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I think Google are tightening up their procedures on credit card addresses a bit depending on which division of Google you are buying from.

I have my credit card set up twice in Google wallet with my correct Irish address and a fake US address which I have successfully used to buy music & movies from the US play store (with a VPN).

Lately my card is being refused for music purchases (Google Inc) but still works for movie purchases (YouTube).

Got my nexus 10 last night about midnight care of parcel motel. Didn't get a huge amount of time to play with it, I spent about 90mins trying to unsuccessfully root it.

But I do like the device.screen looks amazing and it sits very nicely and comfortably in the paws. Didn't really get a chance to cast my eyes over the non native tablet apps but the stock Google ones do look good.hopefully others will follow. Again no flash as stock,but workarounds for that when i get the chance. Really a case is a must and none available yet so mine will be staying at home for now

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

I log into Play via Tunnelbear (UK) on my Nexus 7 to check for Nexus 4 availability and I can't see any devices category. Nothing at all, as if Play doesn't even sell devices (whether in stock or not). What I can see is attached.

I was in the UK last week and it was the same.

But when I accessed Play on my lappy, I could see the devices category no problem. So it can't be my account that's meaning devices don't show and I know it's the UK Play store since it has Google Music, asks me to accept T&Cs everytime I go in with Tunnelbear etc

Anyone know why this might be?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Is anyone else put off buying the Nexus 4 because of the thermal throttling that's going on? It doesn't matter if the CPU can run at 1.5GHz when it never does. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The UK play store is showing 1-2 weeks shipping on the N10, has anyone any recent experience of actual shipping times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Ordered my N10 the 23/11 via Tunnelbear & Parcelmotel and got a dispatch email this evening for it.
    Anyone know who the shipper is to check tracking?

5500 wrote: »
    Ordered my N10 the 23/11 via Tunnelbear & Parcelmotel and got a dispatch email this evening for it.

Got my shipping notification this evening too.
    I presume it's TNT, at least it was for my N4.

lafors wrote: »
    Got my shipping notification this evening too.
    I presume it's TNT, at least it was for my N4.

And that makes three of us now, I ordered last Friday 23rd.

• Advertisement

5500 wrote: »
    Check your Google wallet for courier name

If your tracking number has a UTI in front of it then its a company called UTI.

They have a website etc. Takes a few days for info to show up

Advertisement