Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"General" work visa?

Options
  • 29-10-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Firstly, apologies if the topic doesn't suit the forum...

I have been thinking of moving to NY to work as of next year for maximum 12 months. I am not a recent graduate and therefore do not suit the J1 visa requirements.

Is there a "general" work visa that one can apply for that will allow them to work in america for a year?

I just want to work in any capacity whilst experiencing NY.

I am a professional, currently doing a research masters and have already looked at the various visa type listed here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

It is a shot in the dark but maybe someone here may know something more and would care to shed light

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Simple answer is pretty much no, there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SeeBach

Thanks for the reply...

Would it then be better option to:

a.) Get work over there through an internship?

b.) Find a work sponsor in my professional field? (And how does one go about that?)

Thanks a million

Much Appreciated!!

Hello?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'd say a lot of people who have practical experience of what you're asking have bigger things on their mind at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You won't really get a visa for an internship unless you are a recent grad.
    To find an employer that will sponsor you, look at professional publications and websites of companies you are interested in. Monster.com is a good general job website as is indeed.com. In the current economic climate, this will be difficult unless you are really good/ have niche knowledge, as it costs an employer upward of $5000 to get you a work visa.

It may be a day or two till anyone from NY or surrounding areas will be on to answer....

• Advertisement

Thanks a million silja for getting back to me, you have really answered my questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

silja wrote: »
    In the current economic climate, this will be difficult unless you are really good/ have niche knowledge, as it costs an employer upward of $5000 to get you a work visa.

This is very true. Unfortunately not only do you have to find a company who is willing to go to the trouble and considerable expense of sponsoring you for a work visa, they then have to prove to the INS that no able bodied American citizen is capable of doing the job that they are hiring you to do & that only you can do it. That's fine if you do indeed have a very highly specialized skill or trade that no one else has. But if your trade/industry/profession is a fairly common one, you could run into a problem there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

The other option is to work for a company that has a US operation and after a year apply for a position there and get through on an L1 visa. You need to be able to prove that you have skills etc that no one else in the company can provide.

I am on this visa (specialized knowledge). I was pretty lucky to get it, but the company took care of the whole process from end to end. It is a 3year + 2year visa and can be "dual intent" (you can change your status, ie get permanent residence status etc with company support)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The other option is to work for a company that has a US operation and after a year apply for a position there and get through on an L1 visa.

Yes, I have several friends who worked a few years for Google, HP or similar in Ireland and then got transfered. Of course it's a gamble, because the company may decide you are more needed in Ireland.

Advertisement