Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choose from 3 for best Entertainment audio/visual laptop experience

Options
  • 29-10-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have narrowed down my choice with my budget(pushing it), to 3 laptops.

I will use mostly for streaming videos/TV etc. and i want best picture and sound qualities that i can afford.

I'm not up to scratch on all graphics cards or processor speeds but please have a look and tell me which would be best.
    i often have a lot of tabs open and could be playing online poker too, perhaps using a second monitor. so performance is needed to a degree too. not a gamer though.
    OK. Think picture and sound quality, like cinema style
    all hp. but please feel free to recommend anything else .
    this would help a lot, thanks.

my 1st choice, HP ENVY 6 Sleekbook 1006sa 15.6" Laptop

2nd.
    HP Pavilion DV6 500GB 15.6 Inch Laptop.

icon_dagger.gif 508/5635

3rd.
    15.6" Packard Bell Easynote Laptop

TS13-HR-495

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I can only guess your budget, the PB with a Core i3 2350M costs €499 at DID. The HP costs €50 less at Argos, but has a slower CPU (2310M) and only 4 GB RAM. Don't know price and specs of the Sleekbook.

The Dell Inspiron 15 also costs €499, but you'll get a faster CPU (2370M) and a bigger HDD (750 GB).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cork_buy

sleekbook is €549 from pc world. That is my top budget. I want to know which offers the best viewing experience?

I don't know which processor is in the Sleekbook but all the others have Sandy Bridge Core i3 processors, meaning Intel HD 3000.

Some Ivy Bridge Core i5 laptop (Intel HD 4000) should be well within your budget. Like this Sammy at LD.

I just looked up some specs, apparently there's a A6-4455M APU in the Sleekbook.

The processor is no match for a Core i3 (rather comparable to a Sandy Bridge Celeron), the integrated graphics HD 7500G is not necessarily better than Intel's HD 4000.

thanks, that helps.
    the graphics in the pavillion DV6 says
    Graphics:
    . Dedicated graphics.
    . AMD Radeon HD graphics card.
    while the graphics in the Sleekbook is AMD Radeon HD 7500G Discrete-Class
    is Intel's HD 4000. just as good graphics wise.
    Also do you consider sound as a big difference with like Hp's beats audio and others. HP has this beats audio system

1 olast thing.
    what about the difference in Ram, sleekbook is 6 (4gb+ 2gd while dv6 has 4gb, whatever the difference in having to different rams matter) which is better or does it really matter? i do use alot of different programs and have a lot of tabs and windows open at the same time.??

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Actually, it is not a dedicated graphics card.

Like Intel's Core iX processors, the A6-4455M has an integrated graphics processor (IGP) on the chip. As you can see from the review, HD 7500G it is not as good as Intel HD 4000 graphics. The A8 and A10 maybe viable alternatives, the A6 is clearly not, multitasking is not its strong point no matter how much RAM they'll add.

4 GB RAM is pretty much standard today, and as rule of thumb: more doesn't hurt. ;)

Can't say much about beats audio system, but laptop speakers are generally limited, for good sound quality, consider a a pair of portable speakers, you'll find a great selection here.

Argos has a pretty good deal on the ASUS KC56A.
    The 15.6" Intel Core i5-powered device includes an optical drive squeezed into a 21mm thin body; targeting mainstream uses that want to retain full functionality from their everyday notebooks.

The ASUS K56CA grey hairline design gives this notebook a professional look. In spite of its slimness it does not shed critical features necessary for everyday use such as an optical drive or 3 USB ports and a SD card reader. ASUS has focused on build quality, giving the exterior a strong rigid finish and a one-piece molded top casing. In terms of audio, ASUS has included its Sonic Master technology offering powerful sound and a rich base.

ok thanks again. from the 3 i mentioned and from the 3 you mentioned which you you pick.?

I think the samsung looks good. does it have a vga port. Would it be available in black?

The ASUS K56CA (539 @ Argos) and the Sammy from LD are the best computer we have discussed in this thread.

The ASUS has an ULV processor which makes for better battery life, if that's of concern and also has a bigger HDD.

Both have Intel HD 4000 graphics and HDMI/VGA out.

The Sammy ships with Windows 7 (but you can upgrade to Windows 8 yourself for €15). The ASUS has Windows 8 installed.

alot of helpful info there. the asus has i5, but says only single core. is this a big difference?

• Advertisement

cork_buy wrote: »
    alot of helpful info there. the asus has i5, but says only single core. is this a big difference?

That's a mistake on Argos' part. Full specs on ASUS's website. None of the processors are single core, all dual core ULV (Ultra Low Voltage).

Intel doesn't do single core CPUs anymore. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Torqay wrote: »
    The ASUS K56CA (539 @ Argos) and the Sammy from LD are the best computer we have discussed in this thread.

The ASUS has an ULV processor which makes for better battery life, if that's of concern and also has a bigger HDD.

Both have Intel HD 4000 graphics and HDMI/VGA out.

The Sammy ships with Windows 7 (but you can upgrade to Windows 8 yourself for €15). The ASUS has Windows 8 installed.

What if you want Windows 7? Can it be downgraded freely?
    (Poxy IT dept)

What if you want Windows 7? Can it be downgraded freely?
    (Poxy IT dept)

In a word, no.

Vista was the last OS which could be "downgraded freely". And only after a sh*t storm broke loose. ;)

Of course, many suppliers who cater for business will offer Windows 7 as a choice. Consumer products are a different matter.

The Asus K56CA has a low clock speed 1.7 GHz but a turbo of 2.6/2.4 (i saw the 2.6/2.4 somewhere in specs)
    Is the turbo speed the speed i should take my computer as the workable speed if necessary.
    Is there a lag time before turbo hits in?

!.7b seems low for an i5

is it better than a 2.2Ghz without turbo boost

!.7b seems low for an i5

Not for a Core i5 ULV. It's an ultra low voltage processor, designed to extend the battery life.
    Is the turbo speed the speed i should take my computer as the workable speed if necessary.

Turbo Boost is dynamically controlled by the operating system, it will be activated when when required.
    Is there a lag time before turbo hits in?

This ain't no car, there is no turbo lag. :D

is it better than a 2.2Ghz without turbo boost

Depends on the processor. Which model are you talking about? Processor speed is not all about GHz.

yes, i need a lesson on all that performance and speed crack

p.s. i took the plunge and bought the Asus you recommended. Apparently a popular choice at argos

It's very good value for money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement