Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Sausages, Bacon?

Options
  • 29-10-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

What, in the opinion of the fine citizens of boards.ie, is the finest sausage on the market right now? And the best rashers?

I say this because I happened to buy a packet of Rudd's sausages yesterday and they were fantastic.

Is there better than this out there? What are the best rashers?

Note: I do not have a connection with Rudd's sausages, very nice that is all!

Yours in pork-based breakfast snacks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

I'm partial to some Superquinn sausages. As for bacon, thick cut Denny hickory rashers! I'm hungry now!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Superquinn sausages.
    Black bacon rashers are where it's at!
    http://www.blackbacon.com/products.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 reality19

Best rashers = Rudd's dry cured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I like M & S sausages (the 6 pack), used to eat Olhausen, also Superquinn but they aren't that close to me unless I drive.

Don't eat bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Rudds sausages are fantastic. Although anything with 80% + pork is generally good. Those Jane Russell Original Irish sausages are very nice for a treat; a bit expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Aldi sausages were very nice. Olhausen was the supplier (it was just branded differently) and I'm not sure who is replacing them now, but hopefully the quality stays the same. I've heard good things about the bacon but I've never gotten it so I'm not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fighterman

Yeah I thought Rudd's were fantastic. Was cooking a fry for a few punters yesterday morning and saw them in Tesco. Hadn't seen them before. Really good tasted so much better than any of the sausages I've eaten in the last few years.

May have been a bit more expensive than the others but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭livdmg

Denny sausages gold medal, galtee rashers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Mortons have a good selection usually,
    Also, these Galtee rashers are good

http://ui.tescoassets.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=267056162

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've gone off Superquinn sausages over the past few years. I just think they have deteriorated in quality, too salty.

Right now, Clonakilty sausages are reigning supreme, along with the black pudding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Rudds sausages and tesco finest dry cure thick cut bacon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Dunnes' Finest (or whatever their premium brand is called) are really really good. Tesco's Finest are pretty decent too, but a bit thick for my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I've always loved Superquinn sausages but agree that they are not of the same quality as they were a couple of years ago.

I think Clonakilty is the best by a country mile for sausages, smoked bacon and pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Mallon's sausages are by far the best as far as I'm concerned.

As for pudding, I also go for Granby but it is very difficult to get their gorgeous black pudding these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭livdmg

Shaw's Black Pudding is my fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Tesco pork and apple sausages. I'd happily eat them all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭kanji

I dont eat rashers but rudds sausages are the bomb diggity:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Collerans in Galway, and if you don't live close enough to get them, you're just going to have to take my word for it.

They are so good my local butcher, who does everything else himself, uses their sussages and wet cured bacon (does his own dry cured and smoked) because he swears that no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get them as good himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In terms of bangers and mash dinner, as opposed to breakfast, I usually get the Tesco pork and apple

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

maybe its just me, but the pudding from Lidl is amazing, especially the white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Dunnes Stores stock some organic rashery goodness that is just bacon yum. Can't for the life of me remember the name - they're in a kind of orangy package?

Superquinn sausies totally over-rated imho as are Rudds. Am I alone in a never-ending search for properly peppery sausages?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Superquinn sausages are no better than denny or galtee or any of the big producers IMO,
    The best sausages around for my money are Jack McCarthy's in Kanturk in Cork, a good few independent retailers around the country sell them i think, i get them from the Cornstore in Limerick, he does amazing puddings also
    Caroline Rigney in Curraghchase does fabulous sausages also but they are a bit too expensive

I'm a big fan of denny streaky rashers, think they are as good as any of the posher versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Superquinn sausies totally over-rated imho as are Rudds. Am I alone in a never-ending search for properly peppery sausages?
    Can't find good sausages? Make em yourself, its easy once you get a few things and you can make them exactly how you want!

Advertisement