Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baseball 'World Series'

• 29-10-2012 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭

Saw it on the sports news about San Francisco winning the World Series.
    Americans up their own holes again, how can it be a World Series if it's only played in 1 country? Idiots
    The same goes for that stop and start and stop and start more advertising than actual game play that is American football. They win World Championship in that too.

We should call Kilkenny the World Champions of Hurling. It'd sound Fukking ridiculous wouldn't it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I dont think they named it after the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

Baseball is played all over the Carribean and is very popular in Japan/South Korea. The MLB is definitely the best league in the world though by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I heard that there was a newspaper called the Boston World which sponsored the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭8mv

I once heard it was called the World Series because the competition was first sponsored by a now defunct newspaper called "The World". Not bothered enough to check that.

...Damn, Jools got there before me.

Lets go Red Sox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

MJ23 wrote: »
    how can it be a World Series if it's only played in 1 country?

You've never heard of the Toronto Bluejays then?

They'll be offended if you call them Americans

8mv wrote: »
    I once heard it was called the World Series because the competition was first sponsored by a now defunct newspaper called "The World". Not bothered enough to check that.

I think thats something of an urban myth, although I'm too lazy to confirm it too.

I can confirm the newspaper story is an urban myth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Americans up their own holes again, how can it be a World Series if it's only played in 1 country? Idiots
    The same goes for that stop and start and stop and start more advertising than actual game play that is American football. They win World Series in that too.

We should call Kilkenny the World Champions of Hurling. It'd sound Fukking ridiculous wouldn't it ?

Yada Yada....

1. You know nothing about baseball and why the teams that compete in the World Series exist.

2. Little League World Series includes other countries.

3. You also know nothing about American Football, what is this Football World Series?

4. As for holes, you are talking out of yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Miami Heat are World Champions. But the NBA is only USA and Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was in San Francisco when they won it in 2010, unreal atmosphere around the city that day

krudler wrote: »
    I was in San Francisco when they won it in 2010, unreal atmosphere around the city that day

Fear the Beard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Its not like we're challenging it, I'm sure they'd let us enter the Mallow Marshes or the Muff Divers anyday

The Heat would comfortably beat any team in Europe. The Euroleague is the Worlds second best basketball competition and any of last years final 4 (Olympiakos, CSKA Moscow, Barcelona and Panathinaikos) would have trouble staying within 20 of the Heat. I think it is slightly arrogant to call the NBA winner the world champion but ultimately it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

25% of NBA players are not American

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

A very quick web search will answer your question, but don't let that get in the way of a rant against American arrogance, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

The moniker 'World Series' is arrogant. There's no point in denying it but I think it also speaks to the very insular nature of American society. They tend very much to look inwards as opposed to outwards.

Having said that I watched the series and was very disappointed with Detroit. They were favourites going into this and were given a right hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The rose of Tralee isn't full of Kerrywomen either op. Just fyi.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

It's stupid and arrogant to call the winners of a national or bi-national tournament "World Champions", even if they are the best.

Donegal and Kilkenny aren't called the world champions, they're called the All Ireland champions, even though there are teams from New York and London involved in one of the competitions.

It's arrogant and anyone who tries to excuse has no sense of humility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Americans up their own holes again, how can it be a World Series if it's only played in 1 country? Idiots........

Yeah because that would be like having places like London and New York taking part (as counties) in the Connacht Football and All Ireland Championships.

Oh wait...........

Looks like the Americans aren't the only ones up their own holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The World Sex Championship is held annually in my bed room. I've single handily won the championship for the last 20 years running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yea your right the yanks are stupid with their world series, at least we in Europe name things right like the Champions League

It's stupid and arrogant to call the winners of a national or bi-national tournament "World Champions", even if they are the best.

Donegal and Kilkenny aren't called the world champions, they're called the All Ireland champions, even though there are teams from New York and London involved in one of the competitions.

It's arrogant and anyone who tries to excuse has no sense of humility.

I agree in principle with you, but it is the league where all the world's best players play, so is it not true that the winner is the world's best team?

jester77 wrote: »
    The World Sex Championship is held annually in my bed room. I've single handily won the championship for the last 20 years running.

Opeartive words highlighted. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

And why is Russia in the Eurovision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

It's played between the champions of two leagues which were, at the time, the only professional leagues in the world. As such, they were the world champions of pro baseball. The name is a tradition thing.

Speaking of American ignorance, who can explain the infield fly rule to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Yeah, how dare every single American decide to name their main baseball competition The World Series!

Just like the way they collectively decided to invade Iraq and produce Two and a Half Men!

Stupid Americans, blah blah blah!

mcwinning wrote: »

I agree in principle with you, but it is the league where all the world's best players play, so is it not true that the winner is the world's best team?

Yes, they're the best team, as are the winners of the NBA.

I still don't think "World Champions" is an appropriate title for the winners of a North American competition.

And, despite what the King of Moo says, this is very typical of the arrogance of people from the United States.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

All I know is that baseball is booooooooring.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »

Yeah because that would be like having places like London and New York taking part (as counties) in the Connacht Football and All Ireland Championships.

Oh wait...........

Looks like the Americans aren't the only ones up their own holes.

You are completely and utterly missing the point. You're actually supporting the argument the original poster is making. See my post above yours.

Yeah, how dare every single American decide to name their main baseball competition The World Series!

Just like the way they collectively decided to invade Iraq and produce Two and a Half Men!

Stupid Americans, blah blah blah!

This type of thing is typical of the United States and its citizens. Why argue otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Dont care what they call it, just thrilled for the Giants. Lets go Giants lets go!

http://mlb.mlb.com/wbc/2013/

MLB Network will televise all 39 games of the 2013 World Baseball Classic to be played in March, and will also be the exclusive English-language telecast partner in the United States for the 2017 tournament, Major League Baseball announced Tuesday.

The third edition of the Classic, which features the world's best players from 16 countries and territories that qualify, will be played in seven venues in four nations and territories from March 2-19.

Japan is the two-time defending champion, having won each of the first two Classics in 2006 and 2009.

The semifinals and finals will take place March 17-19 at AT&T Park in San Francisco. Second-round games hosted by the Miami Marlins will be held from March 12-16 at Marlins Park, and at Tokyo Dome in Japan. First-round competition will be hosted by the Arizona Diamondbacks and held from March 7-10 at Chase Field in Phoenix and Salt River Fields at Talking Stick in Scottsdale, Ariz.

In addition to televising all 39 games, MLB Network will extensively cover the World Baseball Classic in its studio programming, including MLB Tonight, Hot Stove, Intentional Talk and Clubhouse Confidential. MLB Network will premiere a World Baseball Classic promotional spot during the 2012 World Series.

MLB Network televised 16 games of the 2009 World Baseball Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

This type of thing is typical of the United States and its citizens. Why argue otherwise?

Because such a gross generalisation about over 300 million people is patently ridiculous.

Are there more stupid and ignorant people in the United States than in countries with smaller populations?
    Of course.

Is there a higher proportion of stupid and ignorant people in the United States than in countries with smaller populations?
    Possibly, but it's very difficult to verify, and I doubt there's a great difference, if there is one.

Do the worst examples of American society receive a disproprtionate amount of attention to the massive American influence on culture?
    Of course.

Out of curiosity, what are you basing your opinion about the majority of Americans on?

And I don't see how you can say that personally choosing to invade Iraq and produce dire sitcoms is typical of American people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The real world series is when the Football world champions, the New York Giants, play the baseball world champions, the San Francisco Giants, for overall supremacy.

• Advertisement

Opeartive words highlighted. :D

Or in my case single-cucumberly

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The real world series is when the Football world champions, the New York Giants, play the baseball world champions, the San Francisco Giants for overall supremacy.

The devils would batter both of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The real world series is when the Football world champions, the New York Giants, play the baseball world champions, the San Francisco Giants for overall supremacy.
    Don't forget the Yomiuri Giants of the Japanese Baseball League who are 2-0 up in their best of 7 final. They'll want some of that action

It's nowhere near as bad as Miss Universe, tbh.

You are completely and utterly missing the point. You're actually supporting the argument the original poster is making. See my post above yours.

I'm not.

I was merely drawing attention to the manner in which the flagship competitions in both baseball in the United States and gaelic football here in Ireland are conducted under relatively misleading monikers while simintainiously pointing out that the OP chose to focus solely on the American use of the term World Series in an uncomplimentary manner, and in doing so, I simply chose to illustrate how it could be conceivably possible that by referring to the All Ireland Football Championship as such, when it includes as counties the largest metropolisis in North America and the United Kingdom, he might just leave himself exposed to a similar level of ridicule from the hands of those who may not understand the anomolies of the football championship.

Your comment before mine that you refer to was posted a minute before mine so in all likelyhood, I was still typing mine at the time and didn't see it.

• Advertisement

when it includes as counties the largest metropolisis in North America and the United Kingdom

Yet doesn't include Kilkenny in football and a host of counties in the hurling. The arrogance of them calling it the All-Ireland Championship when the 'some of Ireland Championship" would be more appropriate.

Your comment before mine that you refer to was posted a minute before mine so in all likelyhood, I was still typing mine at the time and didn't see it.

Okay, my mistake, I see what you're saying now. I was referring to my post to see the point I was making, not saying that you should have read it before you made your post.
    Out of curiosity, what are you basing your opinion about the majority of Americans on?

And I don't see how you can say that personally choosing to invade Iraq and produce dire sitcoms is typical of American people.

I'm basing my opinion on Americans I've met and spoken to in person and also Americans I've argued with online. Admittedly, the ones I've argued with online are more likely to have an arrogant point of view - i.e. were people who actively sought out discussion contrary to my point of view.

The Iraq war was supported by the majority of American polled prior to March 2003. I know that has changed now.

I think that a country where they name the winners of a national competition to be world champions is more likely to think it's okay to think it's okay to think it's okay to police the world. If their teams are world champs why not make their armies world champs too?

I'm not trying to argue that all Americans are arrogant jerks. But it is a prevalent characteristic over there. The evidence for that is the fact that the NBA Champions are called the "World Champions".

Kilkenny aren't called the world champions, it would be ridiculous if they were.

I don't think calling the GAA competitions the All Ireland Champions despite the fact that there are teams from New York and London involved is the same as if we called it the world championship.

I welcome your replies but I don't think I'll be getting into a long protracted argument about this. Sometimes generalising is okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Kilkenny - World Hurling Champions. Sounds good :D

And who gives a feck about Rounders anyhoo - stoopid game. Only one person has a shtick

I think that a country where they name the winners of a national competition to be world champions is more likely to think it's okay to think it's okay to think it's okay to police the world.
    Hmm. And that's not ok, m'kay.
    I'm not trying to argue that all Americans are arrogant jerks.
    M'kay.
    But it is a prevalent characteristic over there.
    So some Americans are arrogant jerks. And in your view, the majority of Americans are arrogant jerks. Nice.
    The evidence for that is the fact that the NBA Champions are called the "World Champions".
    And your supporting evidence is a basketball tournament.

FACEPALM

You do know the tournament is Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy played between privately owned teams - The USA compete in the FIBA World Championships as a NATION. http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u19/just_the_facts.html

Save us Obi Wan from this nonsense.
    I welcome your replies but I don't think I'll be getting into a long protracted argument about this. Sometimes generalising is okay.

Well generally speaking your post is perhaps the most nonsense I have read on boards in quite a while, well done.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Speaking of American ignorance, who can explain the infield fly rule to me?

After watching the Braves in the playoffs it's obvious not even the officals can explain that rule!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It's to make up for the National Hockey League which has teams from 2 nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I was in San Bruno when they won, the whole city erupted like it was a roit or something, great atmosphere around the place, on another topic when I moved to the USA my first job was selling tickets for the giants.

goose2005 wrote: »
    It's to make up for the National Hockey League which has teams from 2 nations.

As does the NBA and MLB

MadsL wrote: »
    So some Americans are arrogant jerks. And in your view, the majority of Americans are arrogant jerks. Nice.

And your supporting evidence is a basketball tournament.
    Well generally speaking your post is perhaps the most nonsense I have read on boards in quite a while, well done.

The fact that they call the winners of two of their most popular sporting tournaments "world champions" (when they aren't) is a great example of extraordinary arrogance.

Who owns the tournament and the fact that the teams are privately owned is irrelevant.

One is far more likely to hear Americans saying they're from "the greatest" or "the free-est" nation in the world.

Saying that arrogance is prevalent in the United States does not contradict saying that most Americans aren't arrogant jerks. I didn't say the majority are arrogant.

Did you ever hear that song, "I'm proud to be American, because at least I know I'm free"? Makes me sick.

The fact that they call the winners of two of their most popular sporting tournaments "world champions" (when they aren't) is a great example of extraordinary arrogance.

What do you call the Formula 1 champion?
    Who owns the tournament and the fact that the teams are privately owned is irrelevant.
    Of course it isn't. It's not paid for by tax payers and nationally endorsed.
    One is far more likely to hear Americans saying they're from "the greatest" or "the free-est" nation in the world.
    Oh for God's sake. You are also likely to hear "the country is fooked" in Ireland.
    Saying that arrogance is prevalent in the United States does not contradict saying that most Americans aren't arrogant jerks. I didn't say the majority are arrogant.
    So what exact percentage are you insulting?
    Did you ever hear that song, "I'm proud to be American, because at least I know I'm free"? Makes me sick.
    To be free of your twaddle would be a mercy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement