Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baseball 'World Series'

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

MadsL wrote: »

What do you call the Formula 1 champion?

Of course it isn't. It's not paid for by tax payers and nationally endorsed.

Oh for God's sake. You are also likely to hear "the country is fooked" in Ireland.

So what exact percentage are you insulting?

To be free of your twaddle would be a mercy.

1) Don't know, Michael Schumacher?
    2) It's nationally endorsed by being known as "America's past time", i.e. Baseball is a really, really popular sport.
    3) Saying "the country is f*cked" isn't arrogant, is it?
    4) I don't have a breakdown of the statistics.
    5) You're a c*nt (I can do crap insults too).

If you were on a room with 20 different nationalities, andthey all filled our a slip of paper describing their country, and one of the pieces of paper said "I'm from the greatest nation on earth", I think it would be a good guess that the American wrote that.

I'm not saying the American would write that, but they'd be the most likely candidate.

It's more likely that an American would write that than a Canadian, and Irish person, a French person, an English person, a Nigerian etc., etc.

I can only speak from my own experience here.

Most Americans I've met in person have been sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

5) You're a c*nt.

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

The NFL is class though, pure entertainment every week

Martyn1989 wrote: »

:eek:

I can throw out irrelevant, insulting comments if Madsl can. Fair is fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

1) Don't know, Michael Schumacher?

How about World Drivers' Champion?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_World_Drivers'_Champions
    Yet you don't hear Rally drivers or Nascar drivers complaining.
    2) It's nationally endorsed by being known as "America's past time", i.e. Baseball is a really, really popular sport.
    That makes it "nationally" endorsed huh? Wow. It's popular - is that the best you can do.

3) Saying "the country is f*cked" isn't arrogant, is it?
    Nope, it is self-loathing. Is Ireland the most self-loathing country in the world?

4) I don't have a breakdown of the statistics.
    Well, durrrrrrr!
    5) You're a c*nt (I can do crap insults too).
    Lovely. Bolded for the mods attentions.
    If you were on a room with 20 different nationalities, andthey all filled our a slip of paper describing their country, and one of the pieces of paper said "I'm from the greatest nation on earth", I think it would be a good guess that the American wrote that.

I'm not saying the American would write that, but they'd be the most likely candidate.

It's more likely that an American would write that than a Canadian, and Irish person, a French person, an English person, a Nigerian etc., etc.
    Which proves what exactly? Americans are patriotic?
    I can only speak from my own experience here.

Most Americans I've met in person have been sound.

So despite your personal experience with mostly sound Americans, your experience tells you Americans are mostly arrogant dicks.

Are you bipolar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I didn't catch him I caught you, I'm both shocked and appalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

The NFL is class though, pure entertainment every week

Yeah, some of the ads are amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lapin wrote: »
    Yeah because that would be like having places like London and New York taking part (as counties) in the Connacht Football and All Ireland Championships.

Oh wait...........

Looks like the Americans aren't the only ones up their own holes.

They don't call it the GAA World Championship. What exactly was your point?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MagicSean wrote: »
    And why is Russia in the Eurovision?

Because vast numbers of Russians live in the European part of Russia.

Why an Asian country like Israel is in it though is beyond me.

• Advertisement

And where did I insult you :confused:

How about World Drivers' Champion?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_World_Drivers'_Champions
    Yet you don't hear Rally drivers or Nascar drivers complaining.

That makes it "nationally" endorsed huh? Wow. It's popular - is that the best you can do.

Nope, it is self-loathing. Is Ireland the most self-loathing country in the world?

Well, durrrrrrr!

Lovely. Bolded for the mods attentions.

Which proves what exactly? Americans are patriotic?

So despite your personal experience with mostly sound Americans, your experience tells you Americans are mostly arrogant dicks.

Are you bipolar?

Everything about this discussion is ridiculous.

One thing I know about Formula one is that there are races all over the world. It's much more of a world tournament than the NBA. If the Nascar drivers have a problem they should start a thread about it.

Bold it for the mods if you want. Who cares? You insult me, I insult you, fantastic discussion.

Extremely popular. Most people love it. That's an endorsement. That's all I've got. Facts. What have you got, any points of contention?

No, Ireland isn't the most, blah, blah, blah. Irrelevant. Let's talk about what we're talking about, shall we? Why don't you refrain from the straw man arguments?

Do you agree or not about the thing that made you conclude that Americans are patriotic? That's arrogance, not patriotism.

I didn't say most Americans are arrogant dicks. I said most Americans that I've meet in person have been sound.

So what you are saying is that you hate Eskimos? I can make sh*t up too.

I'm not bipolar.

See, I don't actually think your a vagina. You might think I'm bipolar though. Dismissively implying that someone is mentally ill, is it better our worse than just throwing out a pointless insult after someone calls your attempt at reasoned discussion twaddle? Whether my attempt was successful or not isn't the point.

And where did I insult you :confused:

I'm not surprised that you're confused. If you don't read my posts you can hardly be expected to read your own.

You said you want to be free of my twaddle. We're just talking. Fair enough of you don't agree with me, but try and demonstrate how you disagree using the things I say, don't just jump to conclusions and imply that I'm mentally ill and say that my contribution has no worth.

Sometimes generalising is okay.

Tell you what, if generalising is OK let me sum up what you have been saying.

The US has a successful private sports league and by tradition the call the finale of that the "World Series".

You don't like it.

That's simple begrudgery. Sure the Irish are known the world over for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

MagicSean wrote: »
    And why is Russia in the Eurovision?

Because part of Russia is in Europe. Which is why they also play in UEFA competitions such as the Euros and the Champions League.

Tell you what, if generalising is OK let me sum up what you have been saying.

The US has a successful private sports league and by tradition the call the finale of that the "World Series".

You don't like it.

That's simple begrudgery. Sure the Irish are known the world over for it.

You can make up stuff about me if you want. It doesn't make you right.

I don't like that the winners of a National competition (which includes one or two foreign teams out of 29) are called the world champions.

I think this tendency, to think of themselves as World champions after winning a North American competition, is part of something which goes beyond just the sport.

Its not that big of a leap to believe that an attitude toward a competition can extend into other parts of life and culture.

Its a pretty basic part of human psychology actually.

So continue to make stuff up and attribute attitudes to me which I have not demonstrated if you want, but if you want to have a discussion, you need to discuss. You only have my words to react to. You know little about me.

I'm not bipolar.

• Advertisement

You can make up stuff about me if you want. It doesn't make you right.

I don't like that the winners of a National competition (which includes one or two foreign teams out of 29) are called the world champions.

I think this tendency, to think of themselves as World champions after winning a North American competition, is part of something which goes beyond just the sport.

You are going to hate what happens in Boxing then. Oh, and Mixed Martial Arts, and Wrestling.

You are stil missing the point that the MLB is not a "National" league. It's a private one.
    Its not that big of a leap to believe that an attitude toward a competition can extend into other parts of life and culture.

Wanna spit it out? Or is it just general anti-american slurs?
    Its a pretty basic part of human psychology actually.
    Which you have studied in depth :rolleyes:
    So continue to make stuff up and attribute attitudes to me which I have not demonstrated if you want, but if you want to have a discussion, you need to discuss. You only have my words to react to.

Attributes? You can't make up your mind if Americans are sound or arrogant. You have met some you like but "that Baseball Jesus I dunno. "
    You know little about me.

And you know sod all about America.
    I'm not bipolar.

Just very conflicted.

You're making stuff up again. Talk about the things I say.

It's all over anyway.

You're making stuff up again. Talk about the things I say.

It's all over anyway.

yeah the Giants are world champs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I don't know much about baseball. American football on the other hand is complete and utter shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

yeah the Giants are world champs

How are they World Champions if there's only teams from a couple of countries competing ?

• Advertisement

MJ23 wrote: »

How are they World Champions if there's only teams from a couple of countries competing ?
    Did anyone else pay millions to enter a team in that MLB league?

It's a private league FFS.

Adjust your sarcasm meter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Equium wrote: »
    Yeah, some of the ads are amazing.

It's the bits between the ads i'm on about silly billy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

tolosenc wrote: »
    Speaking of American ignorance, who can explain the infield fly rule to me?

The easiest way I can explain it is when the bases are loaded or runners on first and second and less than 2 out there can be a chance of an infield fly. The runners have to run to make room for the batter. The rule is there to protect them from falling victim to an easy double play. An umpire should shout infield fly so the runners don't run and the batter will be out. He's the only one affected by the rule. The infield fly call is when the batter hits a fair fly ball that could be caught by a defensive player in the infield with little effort. The problem lies with what is the interpretation of little effort. Or ordinary effort which is the most used term. To make it even more confusing it doesn't have to be an infielder catching the ball. Also if infield fly is called it doesn't matter about the catch. Only the batter is out. But the ball is still live so any runners off base can still be tagged.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Has anyone noticed that all the Miss 'Universe' contestants are from earth ?

Has anyone noticed that all the Miss 'Universe' contestants are from earth ?

And none of the Roses are from Tralee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

No one knows exactly how or why it became known as 'The World Series'. Some have speculated it was due to The World newspaper in NY promoting it a hundred years ago. Others dispute the claim. The main reason it remains called so is tradition, really.

Another problem is since half of the Major League Baseball teams are in the National League, being called "National Champions" means something completely different from World Series Champions. In other words, you can be National Champions in the US without having a playoff VS an American League team. And, of course, now we can't call them American Champions because it risks confusion with the American League champions whom go to the World Series to play the National League champions. I suppose if it would please the rest of the world, they could refer to it as the "USA Baseball Championships which take place in the USA" or the "Baseball Championship Which Is Played In The United States" if that will help you sleep. Gee, I wonder why they named the two leagues "National" and "American" instead of "World League A" and "World League B". I guess Americans were only 33% arrogant back when...

As an American, I get of lot of the OP's attitude whilst in Europe, especially in the UK where I was asked this very question recently by a Cricket fan. I said to the man, "You can relax. Americans do not see it as being a 'World Championship' per se. They see it as simply being traditionally referred to as the World Series. It has little to do with arrogance. So there's no need to feel slighted, diminished or threatened as a non-American. I'm sure your little games are just as important. Cheers, Guv'nuh."

I can understand the OP's concerns, though. It's easy to believe it may be arrogance, afterall. I, too, would expect the citizens of a great free nation to be a tad cocky.

Advertisement