Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Playbook - Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 29-10-2012 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone take a punt on one of these Playbooks at the decent price they seem to go for now?

The recent update to OS 2.1 has apparently improved compatibility and usability of Android apps, just wondered if anyone had any experience of the new OS or even just the Playbook generally?

The Blackberry app world seems fairly average and pricey compared to Android but side-loading from "other" sources makes it less important.

Reliability, robustness, battery life etc would be more important really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I've got one and love it. Love the size and love the OS. Apps can be sideloaded. The appworld is smaller then android and apple but I dont feel like I'm missing any apps (maybe apart from a netflix and skype app)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Netflix wouldn't bother me, and I have skype on the phone, so neither of those are deal breakers.

Would you get much out of your battery with it in general everyday use?

Battery life to me seems superb. I've never been caught out with running out of battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

I took a punt on one yesterday and i decided to buy with three years warranty - full replacement not repairs which was an additional €38. It ticks all the boxes for me and for that sort of money compared to Nexus and iPad i think its a deal.

No matter where you look for advise there will be good and bad... no such thing as a 10/10 result.

I am a Macbook user and I wanted a usable tablet for basic stuff like browse and email.. cannot justly make a good argument considering the difference in price.. Blackberry wins for me and my needs

Hope this helps

Paul

Personally I wouldn't be a big fan of shop bought extra warranties/guarantees as your consumer rights should be sufficient unless the individual is clumsy and the extra cost covers this type of mishap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't be a big fan of shop bought extra warranties/guarantees as your consumer rights should be sufficient unless the individual is clumsy and the extra cost covers this type of mishap.

I guess the additional costs of €38 for three years full warranty is a no brainer and yes consumer rights are there to protect but the bit of paper that spells it out is more of a comfort zone in my personal opinion..

Its all part of the sell, and you take your chance.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

hi all - hoping someone can help me out here.... santa bought my 7 year old twins these playbooks but they are very disappointed with apps (they wanted ipads) .... just see on this thread about....... side loading android apps ?..... how can this be done? i am very disappointed myself with the apps as i was familiar with the childrens apps on my iphone.... i hope someone can give me some good advice

happydays5 wrote: »
    hi all - hoping someone can help me out here.... santa bought my 7 year old twins these playbooks but they are very disappointed with apps (they wanted ipads) .... just see on this thread about....... side loading android apps ?..... how can this be done? i am very disappointed myself with the apps as i was familiar with the childrens apps on my iphone.... i hope someone can give me some good advice

You can find instructions here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80572553

Advertisement