Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help needed with importing a 1979 Ford F150 pick up.

Options
  • 29-10-2012 6:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭

I'm buying a 1979 Ford F150 4x4 pick up from the states and can't find any info on the import taxes that might be due and if it needs to have a DOE each year after coming into Ireland. I am familiar with the 30 year rule for cars and motorbikes and the import taxes for them but have hit a brick wall on the F150!
    It weighs about 2.6 tonnes and has a 460 ci engine (7.5 V8 petrol) and has two doors and a long flatbed. any help or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Here's a link to what a '79 F150 looks like;

http://youtu.be/nI0JPl7kbwY

This one has the smaller block motor
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Caddyman wrote: »
    I'm buying a 1979 Ford F150 4x4 pick up from the states and can't find any info on the import taxes that might be due and if it needs to have a DOE each year after coming into Ireland. I am familiar with the 30 year rule for cars and motorbikes and the import taxes for them but have hit a brick wall on the F150!
    It weighs about 2.6 tonnes and has a 460 ci engine (7.5 V8 petrol) and has two doors and a long flatbed. any help or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Here's a link to what a '79 F150 looks like;

http://youtu.be/nI0JPl7kbwY

This one has the smaller block motor
    Don't know about the taxes but would you not consider one from Australia ?
    Same thing only rhd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Here's some info, you may need to join the forum first it's from CAMI classic american motors Ireland, under the cars for sale thread.

http://www.classicamericanmotorsireland.com/us-to-ireland-car-import-calculator-t1037.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Don't know about the taxes but would you not consider one from Australia ?
    Same thing only rhd!

If the price is right then I wouldn't rule it out!
    Are you just asking about the LHD V. RHD or do you know of one for sale in Australia?

Here's a video of what they sound like;

http://youtu.be/w_IdhYfN8k4

Capri wrote: »
    US/Australia - WHY go so far ? Germany/Belgium/Holland/UK have them

Aussie F250 AUD 18k !!![/url]

- I bought my F250 in Wicklow !!

Many thanks Capri for those links. The reason I am looking to the States is because I am getting a really good deal on a particular F150 which has the 4x4 & 460 block that I want and its hard to get one with that combination let alone one in great condition and at the price I can buy it at but your're right to point me towards mainland Europe, I had searched the UK websites but couldn't find one that met the requirement!
    Do you know anything about the import taxes/DOE requirements for a 30 + year old pick up coming in from outside the EU or where to go online to find answers to my original questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Knew a fellow imported an old 78 Seville diesel - I'd imagine a call to the Revenue would answer your Q's oficially - ship from East coast ports to UK and then over to here. Reg with NCTS within 5 days

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html#section8.1

'Do I need to provide personal identification at the NCTS centre in order to register a vehicle?
    Yes. You must present photographic ID i.e. your passport or driving licence. Additionally, you must also present

a recent utility bill containing your present address, and
    an official Government document (e.g. P60) confirming your personal public service (PPS) number'

I would phone NCTS and ask them where your nearest Vehicle Registration centre is, go there in person and ask them for the info on registering Classic cars over 30 years old.

Some others here may have more info for you when they're on-line ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

You'll have to pay 20% import duty and 23% vat on the landed cost,the landed cost would be the truck itself plus shipping and insurance.
    The easiest way to do it is go through a shipping agent in the UK, they will do everything for you for a reasonable enough fee.
    Leo Varadker, the minister for transport, says all commercial vehicles should have a DOE regardless of age.

Capri wrote: »
    Knew a fellow imported an old 78 Seville diesel - I'd imagine a call to the Revenue would answer your Q's oficially - ship from East coast ports to UK and then over to here. Reg with NCTS within 5 days

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html#section8.1

I would phone NCTS and ask them where your nearest Vehicle Registration centre is, go there in person and ask them for the info on registering Classic cars over 30 years old.

Some others here may have more info for you when they're on-line ;)

Thanks again Capri but I am up to speed on importing cars as I've done it several times and have imported motorbikes from the States and Canada but don't know the score with importing a commercial vehicle that is pre 1980.

I might try ringing the NCTS but I don't hold out much hope knowing the crap they told me a few months ago about a vehicle I was importing! Muppets imho!

hi5 wrote: »
    You'll have to pay 20% import duty and 23% vat on the landed cost,the landed cost would be the truck itself plus shipping and insurance.
    The easiest way to do it is go through a shipping agent in the UK, they will do everything for you for a reasonable enough fee.
    Leo Varadker, the minister for transport, says all commercial vehicles should have a DOE regardless of age.

I was be afraid that this might be the case but I was hopeful that there was some concession for a vehicle being both commercial and pre 1980!
    Are you 100% sure?

The DOE part sounds right but then again does every old commercial vehicle that you see at shows have to have a yearly DOE? it doesn't make sense!
    Again are you 100% sure this is the case?

Thanks for your input btw....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Is it 20% duty?

Whatever it is, get a TARIC code for it from the Revenue and see if you agree as to what it is classified as.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en

I got to code 8704 31 39 @22% duty, but then I'm not a taxman.

Yes and vat and all that jazz on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

All commercial vehicle regardless of age are subject to DOE test.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Is it 20% duty?

Whatever it is, get a TARIC code for it from the Revenue and see if you agree as to what it is classified as.

I got the same code but its very confusing to say the least!
    There is a mention of vehicles over 75 years of age but nothing for over 30 years old or pre 1980?

Thanks anyway but if that's the case then I'm screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

By commercial does that mean over 3500kg or being used commercially? Vintage registered pre 1980 Land Rovers inc my 101 (3164kg) don't have to be tested.

101sean wrote: »
    By commercial does that mean over 3500kg or being used commercially? Vintage registered pre 1980 Land Rovers inc my 101 (3164kg) don't have to be tested.

I don't know that's why I was asking!
    I can say it it going to be used for my business as I have a legitimate use for it but I don't know if i want to go down that road! It would mean commercial insurance etc. I think the weight is something like 3,000kg but I'm not sure if this is kerb weight or with fluids etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I've imported from USA with Kingstown Shipping, they handled everything for me and I just had to collect from Felixstowe. I'm sure they can advise what it'll cost to land it in UK, then just add €550 shipping and VRT here.

I've imported from USA with Kingstown Shipping, they handled everything for me and I just had to collect from Felixstowe. I'm sure they can advise what it'll cost to land it in UK, then just add €550 shipping and VRT here.

Yeah I think I will contact the company I used to ship a motorbike for me this year from Canada and one from here to Australia as I think this is a minefield of bits of knowledge! (no disrespect to anyone!) I thought I knew this or could find a definitive answer easily but I was wrong and as any man knows we don't like to admit that!

When I get the answer I'll post it here for all to see.

Thanks all again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Is it 20% duty?

It was 2005 when I brought my truck in, so the rate may have changed since,
    Any of the shippers advertising in the back of Classic American magazine will have all the answers straight off.
    I used Rybec shipping at the time, but they don't seem to exist anymore either.

hi5, when I was questioning the figure of 20, I had at the back of my mind cars being 10, so it was a case of "HOW much?". But then of course this is a "pick up" so I decided to have a look for the code to see. So yes, it may have changed, but I'd like to say again: "HOW MUCH?!!?!":)

hi5, when I was questioning the figure of 20, I had at the back of my mind cars being 10, so it was a case of "HOW much?". But then of course this is a "pick up" so I decided to have a look for the code to see. So yes, it may have changed, but I'd like to say again: "HOW MUCH?!!?!":)

Sorry but I'm not sure I know what you mean!

Don't worry about it, nor do I :p

It was just the shock in seeing such a high percentage of duty slapped on top.

• Advertisement

Don't worry about it, nor do I :p

It was just the shock in seeing such a high percentage of duty slapped on top.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Look into having it registered in the UK before importing it here - might save you a good few quid!

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Look into having it registered in the UK before importing it here - might save you a good few quid!

Not registered, just landed (VAT and duty paid).

Not registered, just landed (VAT and duty paid).

Yeah I got royally screwed last year when taking a bike in from Canada. Was told afterwards I should have brought it into the North first!
    Will certainly look into it, thanks for the reminder!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

As regards DoE testing for classic commercials...

Are such vehicles not viewed as private vehicles if they are taxed and insured privately (and as such exempt from the DoE test)?

I have never heard of any vintage/classic commercial being DoE tested.

Silvera wrote: »
    As regards DoE testing for classic commercials...

Are such vehicles not viewed as private vehicles if they are taxed and insured privately (and as such exempt from the DoE test)?

I have never heard of any vintage/classic commercial being DoE tested.

Yeah, that's what I though too. Plenty of VW vans around (and a few crew cabs), taxed as vin/vet and exempt from testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

I brought a car in from Japan a few years ago , then it was 10% import duty calculated after the price of shipping was added to the price I paid for the car in Japan . Plus vat .
    Import duty was the same in the uk at that time but vat was 3% lower in the uk ,I still brought it in through Dublin as 3% of the total I had to pay was a lot less than getting the car from uk to Ireland if I had brought it in through the uk.

I paid a company in Japan to organise shipping at that end and I paid a handling agent in Dublin €100 to look after the car on arrival in Dub ,process paperwork and customs clearance in Dub port.

Has import duty gone up in the last few years or is it because it's commercial the import duty is higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

The question of DOE looks like a bit of a grey area but if the vehicle is being used for business even if vintage taxed it would probably be wise to test it just to cover your back insurance wise.

bbsrs wrote: »
    Has import duty gone up in the last few years or is it because it's commercial the import duty is higher?

I think because it's a commercial.

As another UK sidenote, certain historic vehicles come under 0% Duty / 5% VAT, but you have to convince HMRC that the vehicle comes under taric code 9705 00 00 Collections and collectors’ pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archaeological, palaeontological, ethnographic or numismatic interest

• Advertisement
Advertisement