Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate tart

Options
  • 29-10-2012 7:04pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Greetings! I'm just back from Florence and had the most spectacular chocolate tart at a restaurant there. I was hoping someone would have a recipe so I can have a go at making one, at least attempt something similar.

It was a a pastry crust, it light brown in colour, so there was possibly a bit of cocoa in it, and it was crunchy, could this mean maybe a nut based flour, like ground almonds, or muscovado sugar ? The filling was very chocolatey but light in texture, but not light as a mousse. And finally there was a very generous coating of cocoa on top.

Anyway, if you have a chocolate tart recipe, I'd love if you could share it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Here's one you might try, it has a crispy base

2 tsp butter for greasing
    2 egg whites
    115g ground almonds
    25g ground rice
    115g caster sugar
    1/4 tsp almond essence
    225g plain chocolate
    4 egg yolks
    55g icing sugar
    4 tbsp brandy, (or orange juice)
    4 tbsp double cream

if you want for top you can whip cream and add the grated chocolate
    150ml whipped cream
    55g plain chocolate ( grated)

preheat oven to 160c
    grease and line base of a 20cm flan tin
    whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form
    fold in ground almonds, ground rice,caster sugar, and almond essence,
    spread the mixture over the base and sides of tin, bake for 15 minutes
    in the meantime,
    melt chocolate over pan of simmering water
    when melted remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly
    then beat in egg yolks, icing sugar,brandy and double cream
    when fully mixed, pour the mixture into base, cover with loosely with tinfoil,
    and bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is set, it'll still be light and softly set in center,
    leave to cool remove from tin, and serve with dollop of cream
    enjoy :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Looks great, I'll report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

This is my hands down favourite Chocolate Tart recipe. The base is crunchy, with the addition of ground almonds, and smells amazing thanks to the lemon zest and vanilla. The filling is really light and almost pudding-like. It's fantastic when it's heated and served with ice-cream. If you're substituting, you can change almond powder for most nut powders (hazelnut goes great), and swap lemon for lime, or even orange.

Chocolate Tart

Sweet Pastry

140g Unsalted Butter, softened
    90g Icing Sugar
    1 Lemon, zested
    40g Almond Powder
    1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
    4 pinches Salt
    1/2 Vanilla Pod, scraped
    230g Plain Flour

1. Cream butter with icing sugar on low speed until just creamy (don't overmix, as this incorporates too much air).
    2. Add lemon zest and almond powder, and mix until combined.
    3. In a separate bowl, combine the salt and vanilla seeds. Mix in with your fingertips to help distribute the seeds.
    4. Add the eggs to the mixing bowl, the salt/vanilla and finally the flour.
    5. Mix on low speed until the flour is just combined. If there are streaks of flour, that's find. You can mix it gently by hand on your countertop.
    6. This makes ~600g. For an 18cm tart, you'll need 200g. Weight out 3x200g, wrap each in cling-film, and leave in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours. You can freeze the remaining paste for one month.
    7. Roll out 5mm thick. Blind-bake @ 190c for 15-20 mins until blonde in colour.

Chocolate Filling
    170g Dark Chocolate
    30g Milk Chocolate
    150g Whole Milk
    150g Single Cream
    1 Large Egg

1. Chop chocolate. Bring milk and cream to a boil. Add liquid to chocolate in three stages, stirring completely at each stage.
    2. Once melted, mix in the egg.
    3. Add the filling to the cooked/cooled tart base. Bake @ 160c for 15-20 mins or until it reaches 60c in the centre. It should be slightly shaky when wobbled.
    4. Cool competely.

If you're dusting with cocoa powder, use a nice Dutch-processed one. Green & Blacks is a good choice. Enjoy! :)

Chocolate Filling

150g Whole Milk
    150g Single Cream

Do you mean mls here? Or do I weigh the liquid..?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mls and grams are about the same, so you can take it as mls. You could also weigh the liquid, if you have a digital scales.

• Advertisement

Cool! That question sounded silly in my head, I got way too confused :p I don't have a digital scales so I'll go with the mls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Twee. wrote: »
    Do you mean mls here? Or do I weigh the liquid..?

I meant grams, as it's more accurate to weigh ingredients, including liquid ingredients, plus it's really convenient to just place the cooking pot on the scales, tare, weigh, tare, etc. when adding multiple ingredients.

Mls and grams are the same, but only for water at room temperature. For example, 500ml water = 500g water. This is because it's density is very close to 1. However, for certain ingredients you can get away with measuring by volume as opposed to weight, as their densities are quite close to that of water, i.e.

(Per 500ml)
    - Cream = 490g
    - Water = 500g
    - Milk, whole = 510g
    - Eggs, whole = 515g

So in this case either scales or measuring jug will do. On a related note, certain ingredients have varying weights per 500ml (I'm using this as a standard volumetric measurement):

(Per 500ml)
    - Flour, sifted = 245g
    - Table sugar = 420g
    - Vegetable oil = 445g
    - Honey = 690g

If you bake a lot, it's worth investing in a good scales. I've had one like this for years, great battery life and easy to clean. Plus, the biggest advantage is you can generally use the one mixing bowl and weigh everything in that. Means less washing up to do :)

Thanks for that! I went with mls anyway, about to put it in the oven. I'll let you know how it goes!

It was really delicious! I couldn't get good cocoa powder so left the top as it was. Served with some vanilla ice cream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Looks great! Want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement