Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foxing scope for €500

Options
  • 29-10-2012 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

hi lads im looking for some ideas of a scope for foxing/long range vermin shooting with mag power over 12x?..have 500 to spend also have a 3-12x56 kahles multi-zero to trade in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

hi lads im looking for some ideas of a scope for foxing/long range vermin shooting with mag power over 12x?..have 500 to spend also have a 3-12x56 kahles multi-zero to trade in

I use a sightron 8-32x56. It's a pretty good scope...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Some of the scopes you are looking at would be;
    • Nightforce 5.5-22x56
    • Nightforce 8-32x56
    • Nightforce 12-42x56
    • Sightron 6-24x56
    • Sightron 8-32x56
    • Sightron 10-50x60
    • S&B Klassik 4-16x50
    • S&B PMII 5-25x56
    • S&B PMII 10-50x56
    • S&B 12.5-50x56
    • Leupold VX-3 (Multiple Models)
    • Leupold VX-3L (Multiple Models)
    • Leupold VX-2 (Multiple Models)
    • Leupold Mark 4 (Multiple Models)
    • Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50
    • Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56/72

All the above a high end, top quality, and more importantly have the mag power you are looking for. New prices go from €1,000 up to €2,500 depending on make, and model. Second hand they are available, but would not be as common as other brands.

All the above can be shipped in for you through a dealer so i would start by finding out which dealer would take your scope as a trade, and then work out the avergae price for your scope, add the €500 to it, then eliminate the scopes that exceed this price, and then work off the remaining list.

Some models will be better in low light than others, some will have better mag than others. You need to find a compromise. Nightforce are a great scope, but primarily designed for target work. S&B are better low light scopes, but in the mag you want are higher priced than most other brands.

Good luck trying to decide.:)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Nice Swarovski 3-30x50 in James Mc Brides for 3100.00euro.

You will get a fantastic scope for 500euro along with the Kahles.
    Try James Mc Bride. He will take Kahles on trade in. He has a smidth and bender in the power you want but the turrets would be too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

4200fps wrote: »
    Nice Swarovski 3-30x50 in James Mc Brides for 3100.00euro.

You will get a fantastic scope for 500euro along with the Kahles.
    Try James Mc Bride. He will take Kahles on trade in. He has a smidth and bender in the power you want but the turrets would be too much for me.

just off the phone to him and he told me he has nothing only 3-12x50 scopes apart from a broken nightforce the should be back from the factory next week he told me my kahles is worth €1000

rang john lambert in camolin earlier too.he was dead sound but had nothing either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

http://www.optics-trade.eu/shop/en/riflescopes/shopby/manufacturer-sightron.html?SID=e31c99eaf136990f2f194b84e5186909

Have a look at these ..they are in your price range and i have read good reviews on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

just off the phone to him and he told me he has nothing only 3-12x50 scopes apart from a broken nightforce the should be back from the factory next week he told me my kahles is worth €1000

rang john lambert in camolin earlier too.he was dead sound but had nothing either
    I'm fairly certain he has a second hand smith and bender PM2. A high powered one. Its there a good while. I've my doubts its sold?
    If i was in your shoes id look for a 24power or there abouts in swarovski, zeiss,nightforse or kahles. Don't panic in selling it. Give mc bride a call every week for a month and theres a good chance he will have one especially at this time of year. Its worth the wait. Ive a swarovski 6-24x50 and I don't think i'll ever sell it for a long time unless I went up the lader in spec in the Swarovski market. I compared it to a top market zeiss in low light. Exactly the same in low light and clarity. Thats my honest opinion lad but i'd also go for iluminated next time reason for as when its nearly dark and I place recticle on a deer in a field and theres no moon to aid some light its not too easy to know exactly where the centre of recticle is. Evenings are very short and clowdy now. A wee red dot be a help for that kind of shooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

4200fps wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain he has a second hand smith and bender PM2. A high powered one. Its there a good while. I've my doubts its sold?
    If i was in your shoes id look for a 24power or there abouts in swarovski, zeiss,nightforse or kahles. Don't panic in selling it. Give mc bride a call every week for a month and theres a good chance he will have one especially at this time of year. Its worth the wait. Ive a swarovski 6-24x50 and I don't think i'll ever sell it for a long time unless I went up the lader in spec in the Swarovski market. I compared it to a top market zeiss in low light. Exactly the same in low light and clarity. Thats my honest opinion lad but i'd also go for iluminated next time reason for as when its nearly dark and I place recticle on a deer in a field and theres no moon to aid some light its not too easy to know exactly where the centre of recticle is. Evenings are very short and clowdy now. A wee red dot be a help for that kind of shooting
    +1 on that the Swaro is exceptional imo only way I would change is 2ND Gen Z6i BRI 5-30X50 which is my next purchase I think.Weight is my only drawback on any illum scope I find them all heavy.Good luck choosing it will wreck your head with specs options etc my advise if you know lads who use the brand you desire ask them for a snoop through it.Most lads love showing off their hardware.

Advertisement