Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet from Light in the box

Options
  • 29-10-2012 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question, i am looking at getting a tablet for my young daughter, 8 years. wanted to know if anyone has ever ordered from lightinthebox.com for tablets. . they have a few for arounf 70-80 euros. i am not looking for anything ground breaking for it, as she only really wants app and yout tube and music. I know xtra vision have ones for around 110. just wondering if ANYone has any ideas.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Hi, I was actually looking at buying a tablet myself over the weekend (I'm 16 btw). After the weekend spent researching this and that I think I'm going to go with this http://fusion5tablets.co.uk/tablets/Fusion5-Economy-plus it's about €120 all in P&P to Ireland. For what your getting it's definitely value for money, only thing is you HAVE to have PayPal to buy, which is a bit of a pain. The reviews that I've read online about the company are all positive though so happy days.
    I'm just taking a look at the website you referred to, I've never come across it before. It looks fairly good, prices seem competitive enough. I think if you can find a branded tablet on there for 80 or 90 euro, go for it! If all you need it for is light browsing and music then I'd say 90 or even 100 euro is a bargain. You probably wouldn't even get a decent mp3 player for that, let alone an Android Tablet.
    I just have one more piece of advice for you, try to go for a tablet with a 'capacitive' screen, as opposed to a 'resistive' screen, they generally tend to be more responsive although you can't use gloves with them.
    Sorry for waffling on there a bit, I hope I've helped you some bit,
    Update us if you make a decision :P

**Just saw this on that site, I would say it's ideal for what you're looking for. An absolute fantastic piece of kit for €95, haven't looked into the shipping costs however, they could be the killer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

hi kerryked,

jesus your failry switched on for a young lad. yeah the one i was looking at was like 70 euro, i dont know how to post the webpage thing like you did, but as you said its only for very silly things on it, and with it going to an 8 yeah old will most likly end up broken in 6 months anyway..
    your one is good value, but if you try pc world they have one which is failry similar for 129, has the benifit of being local enough also so if there are problems you know where they are.

yep i saw that one in pc world for €129, basically the same thing, and as you said itll give you that extra peace of mind, and probably a 1 year guarantee or something. I'd say go for the €70 one you saw online, I'm just looking at it there again, i think its actually the same one i posted earlier only the price is screwed up on it, it comes up as €75 in the special offer thing but when you actually click on it, it says its €95..hmm i dunno.
    I just found out shipping is USD$20, but if you go up to the top right hand corner and press live chat theyll give you a coupon thing for $20 thatll cover that cost ;)
    I;m just looking at another one that says its for €63 or something, but again when you click into it, the price goes up to €75, this is a strange one.
    Anyway I have Irish essays to learn so I'll go, I think you're probably on the right track with that website if you're gonna buy online..If not your one in PC World will do the job perfectly aswell:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

kerryked wrote: »
    **Just saw this on that site, I would say it's ideal for what you're looking for. An absolute fantastic piece of kit for €95, haven't looked into the shipping costs however, they could be the killer....

Mind you, this is NOT Google's Nexus 7 tablet, it's a blatant clone with very dodgy specs.

very true Torqay, a clone. What aspects of the specs are dodgy tho? If it really does do what it says on the tin, it should absolutely fantastic value for money? Maybe too good to be true though?

• Advertisement

very true Torqay, a clone. What aspects of the specs are dodgy tho?

For starters, the RK2918 is a single core processor, while the Google Nexus 7 has a Tegra 3 quad-core CPU and Geforce graphics.

Only 512 MB RAM (1 GB in the real Nexus 7)

The resolution is only 800x480 (1280x800 on the real Nexus 7)

4 hrs battery life :confused::confused::confused: (10 hrs with the real Nexus 7)

oh you're comparing it to the REAL nexus 7, sorry my mistake. Yeah all points are valid, this is obviously an inferior machine to the nexus 7 but still for the price you're getting it at....

These are only the obvious differences, we know nothing about the display and build quality.

Resolution and battery life is outright cr@p.

The Google Nexus may cost twice as much but it's far from being a rip off. And since the tablet is for an 8 yr old, there's nothing wrong with a bit of ruggedness. The Navi 2 costs the same as the Nexus 7 with similar specs (plus SD card slot) and it's made for kids.

Haha your link made me laugh..back in my day we had magnets and maybe the odd ps2 game..cant believe SMYTHS are now selling tablets!..i know its kinda off topic but it was just somethin that made me laugh:)

Funny alright, but under the hood it's got it all. ;)
    back in my day

You're 16? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement