Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Take a View-Landscape photos of the year -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Some great shots. Love the shepard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

There's an interesting controversy about the winner.

http://www.alexnail.com/blog/news-updates/lpoty-2012/

He says, accompanying the picture on his site, that "We went to Holy Island for the night, to visit the famous boat houses and castle of Lindisfarne. I’ve been waiting for a year to do this after seeing Peter Clarke’s great version of it. I hope I’ve done it justice."

If you see Peter Clarke's 'version' of it (both are linked in the blog post above) it's pretty clear that david byrne's is, to be diplomatic, quite 'derivative' of Peter Clarke's. All well and good in and of itself, but I don't think the behaviour should be rewarded with 1st prize in a major competition ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

More like a rip-off :eek:

EDIT- just noticed a this in the last line of the blog

EDIT: The Sunday Times did not publish the winning image in the awards section of the magazine. I do not know why.

hahahaah

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Not a big fan of landscapes, but it's interesting to see that many of the winners have pretty muted, low-key post-processing. That's not what springs to mind when I think of landscape photography (usually crazy over-saturation and impossible skies).

Only two, maybe three, HDRs in there that I can identify.

There's an interesting controversy about the winner.

http://www.alexnail.com/blog/news-updates/lpoty-2012/

He says, accompanying the picture on his site, that "We went to Holy Island for the night, to visit the famous boat houses and castle of Lindisfarne. I’ve been waiting for a year to do this after seeing Peter Clarke’s great version of it. I hope I’ve done it justice."

If you see Peter Clarke's 'version' of it (both are linked in the blog post above) it's pretty clear that david byrne's is, to be diplomatic, quite 'derivative' of Peter Clarke's. All well and good in and of itself, but I don't think the behaviour should be rewarded with 1st prize in a major competition ...

Wow, the world of Photography Competitions gets all CSI (see his blog about 2011). Interesting topic though. Should blatant copies be allowed enter competitions, especially ones as blatant as that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

amdgilmore wrote: »
    Not a big fan of landscapes, but it's interesting to see that many of the winners have pretty muted, low-key post-processing. That's not what springs to mind when I think of landscape photography (usually crazy over-saturation and impossible skies).
    you're not looking at the right landscape photography.
    i haven't read any photo magazines in years, but when i did read them, they were all about deepening your blues, bumping up contrast, etc.; which led to a very repetitive sort of landscape photography.
    landscape photography does not have to be about god rays or azure blue skies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, that post reads a little patronising. was not intended as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

I would never have called no. 2 a landscape either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

IamBlip wrote: »

Definitely not.

IamBlip wrote: »
    ronanc15 wrote: »
    Definitely not.

there are different categories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

there are different categories.

Ah right, I just assumed it was one Landscape category :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Winner has since been disqualified for the amount of modifications used.

keps wrote: »

I think they were right to disqualify him once this came to light. It's just a breach of the rules for the category. From reading the blog post about it he effectively shopped in a different sky, and cloned out bits of the background as well. The other 'shot' he had disqualified had several significant elements moved. Some of the categories allow significant alterations, some don't, he simply broke the rules.
    Chances are of course this wouldn't have come to light if it weren't for the original controversy, I think people were gunning for him to some extent, but once the alterations came to light I think the decision to disqualify him was a justified one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Bit of a mess, but good to see the right outcome, interesting reading the blogs and seeing how the story developed

A real mess! Listening to David argue that the image of Natures Struggle wasn't a compsite despite people posting pictures trying to copy it is v entertaining.

Advertisement