Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started studying yet?

• 29-10-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Well im in 6th year and wondering how many people have started studying yet? Be honest and dont be smart saying you will a week before the pre's, I am trying to make a bust at it but cant seem to bring myself around to it. Im the type of person who can focus for 15-20mins max, then I can get destracted like in evening study 1 day I ended up counting the amout of blocks were in the walls:o abit of advice would be nice aswell. Sound!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Conor556 wrote: »
    Well im in 6th year and wondering how many people have started studying yet? Be honest and dont be smart saying you will a week before the pre's, I am trying to make a bust at it but cant seem to bring myself around to it. Im the type of person who can focus for 15-20mins max, then I can get destracted like in evening study 1 day I ended up counting the amout of blocks were in the walls:o abit of advice would be nice aswell. Sound!!!!!!!

Up until now I've been doing homework and then maybe an hour in the evenings.

I plan on upping it to maybe 2 hours of study every night and 3-4 on weekends now once we go back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Pretty much the same as 0mega. I've never really been one to study by poring over a book, so most of what I've been doing has consisted of making concise notes. For example, I've reduced 100 pages of my history book down to about 15 pages of notes. If you find it hard to focus on reading through the book, you might try something similar to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

I'm in 5th year and I'm studying 2 or 3 times a week (mostly weekends), the study itself are 2-3 hours, sometimes it would be more, depending if we have a class test coming up. That said, I feel like it's not enough at times but I am planning on increasing it to everyday once Christmas passes. YOLO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

My advice:
    Break your study into 20 minute blocks with 2 minute breaks,set goals and for gods sake stick to them.Productive study is crucial to achieving 450+ points in my opinion.
    Study is habit,nothing more.

I'm trying not to be melodramatic,but I think I've been slight screwed over by the bonus points for maths.I do two ordinary level subjects, one of which is maths.
    The points hike resulting from the bonus points has made studying that bit more important for me,as points have increased across the board with my preferred course (common entry science in TCD) coming in at a whopping 510 points.
    So I've started paying that bit more attention in class,more effort at home and giving up certain things just to keep my head above water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Studying is difficult. I've been meaning to do some studying over the past couple of weeks but no success. After this mid-term, I plan on doing 2-3 hour sessions in November then increasing it to 4hrs before the Christmas. Then during the holidays, I would do 1-2 hours of studying since it's Christmas :pac: When we come back to school, I hope to get at least 4-5 hours done per day prior to the mocks and then maintain it right up to Easter where I will cancel every social activity, camping, football, swimming etc.. and study for the entire day, with breaks of course. This will stay the same right up to the Leaving Cert.

There's a study timetable planned, now for the most effective way of studying...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 TheUshMan

My study has been so patchy...one day I'd study, the next day I wont...its so hard to motivate myself to study, especially when its so early in the year..didn't do a tap all mid-term, but NOW im gonna start doing the work starting Monday in after school study : )
    #WILLPOWER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I can't believe people have actually started studying :eek: I was told no one starts studying until Easter. I haven't done any study and my Christmas tests are in three weeks! :( Too much time wasted on homework :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I can't believe people have actually started studying :eek: I was told no one starts studying until Easter. I haven't done any study and my Christmas tests are in three weeks! :( Too much time wasted on homework :mad:

Last class friday before the mid-term our teacher told us anyone now who thinks that we have a nice week off from study or homework is a complete fool :eek:

I guess im a fool so! But I am going to start nxt week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Conor556 wrote: »
    But I am going to start nxt week

That has been the plan since September :P

Advertisement