Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak tartare in Cork City

Options
  • 29-10-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Anyone know a restaurant that does it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You can make your own Steak Tatare!! :D

I don't know of any restaurant that does it here TBH. If the patrons are like my husband, (i.e something dead, cremated or boiled to ****) I'm not sure there'll be much call for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I haven't been able to find any despite searching most of Munster. Likewise I have found it hard to find non seared totally raw
    beef carpaccio. Could you please post if you have any luck? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sad_isnt_it

Miaireland wrote: »
    I haven't been able to find any despite searching most of Munster. Likewise I have found it hard to find non seared totally raw
    beef carpaccio. Could you please post if you have any luck? Thanks :)

Will do, and likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Anyone know a restaurant that does it?

Try here:

Les Gourmandises

17 Cook Street,
    Cork City, Ireland
    Tel: 021 4251959
    Email: info@lesgourmandises.ie

However, I have a feeling that it's illegal to serve Steak Tartare in Ireland, as per the regulations that say you can't serve steak rare or even medium rare. :(

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0118/1224287760470.html

Tue 01 Jan 2011

HSE warns Dublin restaurant on serving burgers cooked rare

A DUBLIN restaurant has been told by the Health Service Executive (HSE) to stop serving burgers cooked rare and medium-rare or face legal action.
    The Rathmines restaurant Jo’burger has been warned by the Environmental Health Officer with the HSE to serve only well-done burgers or prove that undercooked meat can be served without the risk of E.coli bacteria and other contamination.

blindsider wrote: »
    Try here:

Les Gourmandises

17 Cook Street,
    Cork City, Ireland
    Tel: 021 4251959
    Email: info@lesgourmandises.ie

However, I have a feeling that it's illegal to serve Steak Tartare in Ireland, as per the regulations that say you can't serve steak rare or even medium rare. :(

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0118/1224287760470.html

Tue 01 Jan 2011

A DUBLIN restaurant has been told by the Health Service Executive (HSE) to stop serving burgers cooked rare and medium-rare or face legal action.
    The Rathmines restaurant Jo’burger has been warned by the Environmental Health Officer with the HSE to serve only well-done burgers or prove that undercooked meat can be served without the risk of E.coli bacteria and other contamination.

It doesn't say the meat can'y be served rare/medium rare. The regulations only state that such meat can be cooked/served without danger of infection by E-Coli or Salmonella. It is NOT illegal!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

However, I have a feeling that it's illegal to serve Steak Tartare in Ireland, as per the regulations that say you can't serve steak rare or even medium rare.

There is a pretty big difference contamination-wise between steak and burgers. Burgers are minced, every piece of meat has had contact with air or machinery and can have picked up e coli. Not so with the center of a piece of steak. I wouldn't equate the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

pwurple wrote: »
    There is a pretty big difference contamination-wise between steak and burgers. Burgers are minced, every piece of meat has had contact with air or machinery and can have picked up e coli. Not so with the center of a piece of steak. I wouldn't equate the two.

Or else if the beef is freshly minced in the restaurant itself.

All steaks should be eaten rare. Best flavouring to eat the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

pwurple wrote: »

That is true about minced burgers, if you get asked what way you want your burger cooked, then it is time to leave the restaurant, they don't know anything about how to handle meat! There is only one way to cook it if it is minced burger, all the way through!

The one that I would love to find is a seared Tuna steak, I have never got a Tuna steak cooked well in Ireland, it is always over cooked, however you can always get pink chicken!!!

It doesn't say the meat can'y be served rare/medium rare. The regulations only state that such meat can be cooked/served without danger of infection by E-Coli or Salmonella. It is NOT illegal!!

Perhaps 'illegal' is too strong. However, restaurants etc have been actively discouraged from cooking steak anything less than 'medium'.

The regs may not explicitly stat that, but in practice, that's what they mean.

Anyway, I was only trying to help....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Perhaps 'illegal' is too strong. However, restaurants etc have been actively discouraged from cooking steak anything less than 'medium'.

A chef will never be happy cooking a steak above medium-rare.

• Advertisement

Blimey!! Don't ever call for a steak in France then!! To them well-done means the rare side of medium...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

There is some amount of baseless speculation being bandied about on this thread.

Everyone has a preference when it comes to steak. The important thing is the meat is fresh, if the (red) meat is fresh and handled properly then how it's cooked (ie blue all the way to ashen) is irrelevant!

I like my steak blue for a sirloin and rare for a rib eye. I don't have any issue with people who like theirs blackened. Personally I'd be far more concerned about ordered a rare/blue steak and getting it stone cold (it shouldn't be cold really, no matter how rare you like it) than I would about getting dodgy meat.

Hogzy wrote: »
    A chef will never be happy cooking a steak above medium-rare.

Agreed - but unless the chef owns the business, his/her opinion is often lost. :(

However, the 'powers that be' have other ideas re how a steak should be cooked. I don't like it or agree with it, but I'm only a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Spindle wrote: »

The one that I would love to find is a seared Tuna steak, I have never got a Tuna steak cooked well in Ireland, it is always over cooked, however you can always get pink chicken!!!

I had a great seared tuna steak in Yamamori on Georges Street in Dublin a few years ago (appears to still be on the menu http://www.yamamorinoodles.ie/files/2011/10/Yamamori_Dinner_Menu_11.pdf not sure if its worht the trip though :D ). Properly seared too, nice and pink on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Where are you getting this from? I never have a problem getting a steak how I want it and am always asked. Burgers yes, not usually asked and I would want them well cooked anyway but not steaks. Are you confusing the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Hardwood used to do a great seared tuna steak. It was rubbed with black pepper and herbs, and couldn't have touched the pan for more than a few seconds on each side. Mmmmmm....
    I wonder if the chef is still working in town somewhere?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, I'm sorry, you're absolutely wrong. Burgers are supposed to be cooked all the way through due to the new legislation. Steak certainly isn't. Bacteria only live on the surface of steak, so it only needs to be seared to make it perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

When did the new legislation come in? I was in a restaurant a couple of weeks ago and was told that the policy is to cook the burgers medium. They came out well done though. I love a medium burger.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

When did the new legislation come in? I was in a restaurant a couple of weeks ago and was told that the policy is to cook the burgers medium. They came out well done though. I love a medium burger.

About 2 years ago now? I'm not sure if it's enforced though. Pretty sure we had medium burgers a few months back in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Just in case some people don't realise (I fear there might be some confusion): Steak Tartare is not a steak per se (that is cooked rare/medium/well done etc.) but actually raw minced meat (beef or horse) with some other ingredients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I think the only confusion is being caused by someone mixing up burgers with steak and saying it is illegal to cook a rare steak :confused:

Advertisement