Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a New Riding Hat

Options
  • 29-10-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for buying a new riding hat - my one is old and tattered, so I gave it to my old yard to use should they need it.

I'm living in Dublin now, so unsure of where to go to buy one, as I always bought my hats from the same place in Limerick. Next time I'll be home will be Christmas though :o

I was hoping to buy a JTE/Harry Hall/similiar style hat, I think I need to get fitted as I have only started riding in the last few months after a year off.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I find TRI in the Curragh very good for hats/protectors, they check for fit etc and don't pressure you to buy the hat unless it's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've always found Berneys in Kilcullen very good for fitting helmets.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

convert wrote: »
    I've always found Berneys in Kilcullen very good for fitting helmets.
    A friend was up there at the weekend revently was treated very dismissively by a young girl(Told her you couldn't get rugs with a neck and asked her why she wa riding a horse, wouldn't she be better off ona cob!!). Just be careful who you get, the Berney family themselves have always been great, but this lassie whoever she was put me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    H- my one is old and tattered, so I gave it to my old yard to use should they need it.

Just to point out. You probably shouldnt do that. Hats lose their protective properties with age, and after any impacts.

In theory they should be replaced every two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Thanks for the information everyone!

Fits - you're 100% right, I would be of the same mind. I just left it there should they need it, it wasn't too old - only about 16 months or so, just the nubuck covering ripped from my lack of minding it, and it doesnt fit me anymore :) I don't even know if they use it, it's just there should they need it for beginner lessons.

Think I'll try the Curragh, thanks!

• Advertisement

I got my last hat in TRI.

Hey all,

Just an update - I've decided to buy on Equestrianclearance.com - they have a great range of hats that are much better value for money!

I was going to buy either the Harry Hall, JTE or Champion Hat. I think I'll probably end up going with the JTE.

Thing is, I tried on a couple of hats today and both the 59 and 60cm hats fitted me fine - I wore the 59 in a lesson and it was very comfortable!

Does anyone have any experience with the sizing on any of the above hats? I know the Harry Halls can be quite loose, I had one before and had to get a smaller size.

Any info is much appreciated!

Safety hats are pretty much the only thing I wouldnt buy online (well maybe saddles as well)

IT needs to fit properly and you only have one head. Look after it!

fits wrote: »
    Safety hats are pretty much the only thing I wouldnt buy online (well maybe saddles as well)

IT needs to fit properly and you only have one head. Look after it!

Makes sense! They do accept returns though, so if it doesn't fit I can always return it!

Advertisement