Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashlawn Park, Ballybrack

Options
  • 29-10-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My husband and I are thinking of buying a house in this estate but we're unsure about the area. We would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences of the area, good or bad.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Ashlawn is a lovely settled estate, you could do a lot worse. You have Tesco up the road and the local Football and Boxing clubs in the park at the end of the estate, there's a Primary school in the estate too.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Kamellia wrote: »
    My husband and I are thinking of buying a house in this estate but we're unsure about the area. We would appreciate anyone sharing their experiences of the area, good or bad.

Thanks! :)
    My son bought in Ashlawn last year and its a very settled estate,you have everything almost on your doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I used to live in Pinewood (From when I was born until I hit 30), opposite Ashlawn Park. In the 80's / 90's it was a bit "iffy".

There was a big drug / drink culture and some anti social behaviour going on. The "lanes" were breeding grounds for hassle and the Gardai were a regular sight. The adjoining tunnel used to be full of kids who were up to no good, various cars have been burned out there and also on the football pitches.

In the last 10 years or so, a lot of the "troublemakers" have since either emigrated, died, moved out of the area or just calmed down. It is a grand area now with little or no trouble. The Gardai still visit the area, however, now it is just routine and not because there is any hassle.

I wouldnt choose to move in there, purely because I wanted a change of scenery, but would not discourage someone else to.

Transport / facility / kids wise it is a great little place and you should really consider buying the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

benwavner wrote: »
    I used to live in Pinewood (From when I was born until I hit 30), opposite Ashlawn Park. In the 80's / 90's it was a bit "iffy".

There was a big drug / drink culture and some anti social behaviour going on. The "lanes" were breeding grounds for hassle and the Gardai were a regular sight. The adjoining tunnel used to be full of kids who were up to no good, various cars have been burned out there and also on the football pitches.

In the last 10 years or so, a lot of the "troublemakers" have since either emigrated, died, moved out of the area or just calmed down. It is a grand area now with little or no trouble. The Gardai still visit the area, however, now it is just routine and not because there is any hassle.

I wouldnt choose to move in there, purely because I wanted a change of scenery, but would not discourage someone else to.

Transport / facility / kids wise it is a great little place and you should really consider buying the house.

Thats freaky - was just about to write almost the exact same post right down to the being from Pinewood and living there until I was 30 bit. Very Twilight Zone. Agree on the content too obviously, Ashlawn is grand now.

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Thats freaky - was just about to write almost the exact same post right down to the being from Pinewood and living there until I was 30 bit. Very Twilight Zone. Agree on the content too obviously, Ashlawn is grand now.

Simon

Ha, that's mad! Ah well, It is Halloween and all that!

I remember you from Pinewood alright! Slighly younger than you, our row of houses faced each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Kamellia

Thanks for your responses, everyone! So far so good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Similar situation to OP, just wondering does anyone have any views on Ashlawn or the surround estates like Pinewood, Coolevin or Oakden? (sorry to resurrect a zombie thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Oakton park is the nicer of those. It's all relative of course.

Advertisement