Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waterproof boots

Options
  • 29-10-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I am looking for waterproof boots for a gift. Do you outdoors people buy goretex or other tex [there seems to be cheaper waterproof membranes] or do youmake them waterproof with some treatment. If so which treatment?

Something like this

They would be used in city like environment and would not be used for hill walking but i figure you outdoors folk would know about waterproofing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

A bit more expensive, but worth a look.
    http://www.hottershoes.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The boots you posted won't be much good with regards to waterproofness, as a general rule they'll only be waterproof to the bottom of the lowest opening so if you have a zip going down to the sole they won't be much good.

The likes of a Gore tex liner is helpful but will wear over time in any footwear as the movement of your foot breaks down the lining- I'd only consider Gore tex etc as a bonus. The best way to keep the waterproof is to regularly wax them and go for glory coating the seams, you can oick up a waterproofing wax in most outdoor stores, but it will affect the look of the boot which on a mountain where they tend to get caked in muck, bug and stuff isn't really a problem but walking down a city street the charces are you'll be more consious of the look.

My advice is go for a boot where the zip ends a bit higher from the ground and ask in the store about a waterproof treatment. Then try the treatment on an area of the boot which wont be seen (next to where your arch will be). For the love of god stay away from dubbin, load of people recommend it and it is great for leather but it breaks down the stitching so your boot will over time come apart.

Last bit of advice, stay clear of puddles (sorry don't mean to sound sarcastic but it's the best advice for keeping your feet dry).

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

Gillo wrote: »
    The boots you posted won't be much good with regards to waterproofness, as a general rule they'll only be waterproof to the bottom of the lowest opening so if you have a zip going down to the sole they won't be much good.

The likes of a Gore tex liner is helpful but will wear over time in any footwear as the movement of your foot breaks down the lining- I'd only consider Gore tex etc as a bonus. The best way to keep the waterproof is to regularly wax them and go for glory coating the seams, you can oick up a waterproofing wax in most outdoor stores, but it will affect the look of the boot which on a mountain where they tend to get caked in muck, bug and stuff isn't really a problem but walking down a city street the charces are you'll be more consious of the look.

My advice is go for a boot where the zip ends a bit higher from the ground and ask in the store about a waterproof treatment. Then try the treatment on an area of the boot which wont be seen (next to where your arch will be). For the love of god stay away from dubbin, load of people recommend it and it is great for leather but it breaks down the stitching so your boot will over time come apart.

Last bit of advice, stay clear of puddles (sorry don't mean to sound sarcastic but it's the best advice for keeping your feet dry).
    good advice:D. The link was only to give a general idea of the shape, the one ones from MS are not waterproof. Thanks to you both for the advice

I am surprised at the dislike of goretex by some sites I searched. The person i want the current boots for has had goretex and never been wet. That is in heavy rain in the city and includes walking in puddles.

A pair of these kept him dry for two years and have only leaked now and they were badly treated/never cleaned used in wet gardening etc

But i accept its is a different thing climbing hills etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well the thing with Goretex, or any waterproof breathable membrane, is that in many cases it's effectively the only barrier against water ingress, and once that goes, your once waterproof garment is no longer waterproof. That's why I only use leather boots for hillwalking .. if you use fabric boots, once the membrane is damaged that's it, you'll get wet feet, but with leather boots you have an extra line of defence as it were (if you clean them and keep them well maintained and waxed).

In my experience, the main thing that causes the membrane to be worn / destroyed is long toenails :) So keep them nice and trimmed and you should have fewer problems.

For a pair of boots like you're looking for though, I'd say go for something that has a breathable membrane if possible, not necessarily Goretex, there are others, and get a good silicone waterproofing aerosol spray for them. Also I'd take Gillo's advice and try and find something where the zip doesn't go all the way down to the sole, that'll certainly be a weak point in the waterproofing stakes esp. if you're going through puddles.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Well the thing with Goretex, or any waterproof breathable membrane, is that in many cases it's effectively the only barrier against water ingress, and once that goes, your once waterproof garment is no longer waterproof. That's why I only use leather boots for hillwalking .. if you use fabric boots, once the membrane is damaged that's it, you'll get wet feet, but with leather boots you have an extra line of defence as it were (if you clean them and keep them well maintained and waxed).

In my experience, the main thing that causes the membrane to be worn / destroyed is long toenails :) So keep them nice and trimmed and you should have fewer problems.

For a pair of boots like you're looking for though, I'd say go for something that has a breathable membrane if possible, not necessarily Goretex, there are others, and get a good silicone waterproofing aerosol spray for them. Also I'd take Gillo's advice and try and find something where the zip doesn't go all the way down to the sole, that'll certainly be a weak point in the waterproofing stakes esp. if you're going through puddles.
    thanks what others are there? Is any thing ending in tex like spotex and sympatex a breathable membrane. The shoes i am talking about were leather. he has not had fabric shoes with goretex

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, anything ending in -tex like that is a breathable membranes. 'event' is another one.

I'm just thinking the other option is a Gore Tex (or likewise) sock, it's basically a waterproof sock you wear between your own sock and the boot. I've never tried them for a number of reasons but they may be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I'm just thinking the other option is a Gore Tex (or likewise) sock, it's basically a waterproof sock you wear between your own sock and the boot. I've never tried them for a number of reasons but they may be an option.

I have lots of experience with waterproof socks, both Sealskinz with whatever proprietary fabric they use and issue Goretex socks, and they have their place, but I don't wear them unless I know my boots will be going underwater. They do keep your feet dry from outside water, even when the boot is fully submerged, but in all but the coldest weather, they cause my feet to sweat.

However, if you're going to be crossing rivers or if you know that you'll be putting on wet boots, then they're great. They also work well in snow, as the collar keeps snow out of your socks even if your gaiters fail. I wouldn't recommend them for day-to-day wear in a city.

would this full grain leather boot be 100% waterproof

• Advertisement

Looking at it, there's very few seems which is what you want, again regularly wax them taking care if the seems. The only issue you may have is the fabric around the ankle, that'll let water in that said if its for use around town ask yourself what are the chances of standing in a puddle that deep.

No boot will be 100% waterproof, your best bet for that is a wellie.

Looking at it, there's very few seems which is what you want, again regularly wax them taking care if the seems. The only issue you may have is the fabric around the ankle, that'll let water in that said if its for use around town ask yourself what are the chances of standing in a puddle that deep.

No boot will be 100% waterproof
    , your best bet for that is a wellie.
    goretex is in the city anyway whatever about climbing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Alun wrote: »

Are you serious?

Advertisement