Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References

Options
  • 29-10-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I am applying for courses in England - I have a 2.2 from NUI but thsi is years ago and was in Arts, I never built up a relationship with any of my leturers and have not references going forward.

How do you get around this? I know I can use one reference from a previous employer, but what an I do with no academic reference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

I had this problem last year, was stuck thinking that i had no one to be my academic reference but I just decided to email a few of my past lecturers(who I had no relationship with at all) they all came back to me and said yeah no prob and that was it. Just send off a few emails and you should be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

This happens quite frequently. Lecturers can access your academic record and construct a reference from that, it's part of their job. Perhaps after you've identified someone as a potential referee & contacted them as Danny suggested, and they've responded agreeing to do it, you could write again just giving a little background as to why you want to do the course, perhaps something about your work experience, etc. This might be helpful in light of your 2.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

username84 wrote: »
    ...I never built up a relationship with any of my leturers and have not references going forward.
    Don't worry about it - send off a few emails anyway. You may be surprised that one or two of your lecturers remember you.

Advertisement