Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer in Medicine

Options
  • 29-10-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Asking on behalf of a friend.

Is it possible within Ireland to transfer from one college to another with Medicine? I know with some courses e.g. Eng its possible to transfer as the relevant college will recognise prior learning. And if they don't fully recognise a year, they will at least recognise some modules etc. Seeing as many courses can be taken abroad and brought home, surely this is possible?

Any info welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

It probably is possible but with anything in UCD it will be like pulling teeth. The programme office in health sciences is your best port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It probably is possible but with anything in UCD it will be like pulling teeth. The programme office in health sciences is your best port of call.

Cheers for the info. Its not an internal transfer so that will make a difference I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I've seen people transfer from foreign medical schools into second year. I know dental graduates can go straight into third year (to become a max-fac surgeon). It might be possible, but as seantorious said it will be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I know 2 people who have done this in my class. One was after premed and he transferred to cork and the other was after first med and he transferred to galway. You will have a person in charge of your year in the health sciences building, they tend to be very helpful and approachable so id start there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I know 2 people who have done this in my class. One was after premed and he transferred to cork and the other was after first med and he transferred to galway. You will have a person in charge of your year in the health sciences building, they tend to be very helpful and approachable so id start there

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm not the person who wants to transfer, I'm in UCD Eng. Its a friend who wants to transfer for family reasons back to Dublin. Its probably not possible but I thought I'd at least ask to see if there was a glimmer of hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

From UCD site:

The School of Medicine and Medical Science in University College Dublin will normally consider transfer students to the Medicine degree programme only on humanitarian grounds on a case by case basis. Applications should be accompanied by an endorsement from the applicant’s current Dean and, if claiming medical grounds, a Medical Certificate.

This is strongly enforced in the school and applications to my knowledge must be accompanied by a letter of support from the students current medical school.

Advertisement