Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Tattoo Booked - Advice/Tips

• 29-10-2012 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Having posted in the newbies thread in August 2011 I've actually booked my tattoo, 3 weeks to go and counting.

The tattoo is going on my hip-ish, it's a tribal seahorse design with some seashells. Met the artist and discussed the design and location and price etc.

I generally have a high pain threshold but I'm still nervous. Any tips or advice to make before, during and after a little easier?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tip 1 dont drink before for at least 24 hours before it, have good meal beforehand and if going in for a long sitting bring in a sugary drink to keep your blood sugars up.

During it youll be grand it may hurt a bit but its not that bad.

After listen to your artists advice and take care of it how he tells you to quite simple really :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Also, make sure you're well rested and sleep well the night before. Avoid blood thinners such as Aspirin etc..

Other than that and what's been previously said by Marty you should be grand. So just enjoy the experience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

In the same boat, about to book my first tattoo as well, having taken ages to discuss design, find the right artist etc. Used this forum a lot, finding it very helpful.

Was just about to post exact same questions!

Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Be sure to post up pics of the reuslts when there done so we can all have a lttle look ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

Seeing as it's on your hip wear something loose fitting like a track suit bottoms so your pants won't be rubbing off it afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

And if it itches as it's healing, pat it with your hand. Not as satisfying as giving it a good scratch, but better for your skin. :pac:

I find that keeping my tattoos absolutely smothered in Bepanthen for the first five or six days, then just applying it every few hours stops them from scabbing, as I've never had any scab yet thankfully, and they've all healed perfectly. Might not work for everyone, but just a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Well I did it! Got it tonight. Opted for my hip region..bringing in some bone area...and what they say is true, it definitely did hurt more there. But much of it was grand to mildly uncomfortable.

Followed the advice here, thanks for the tips. Will post the pic in the other thread shortly.

The thing that really stood out was how much bigger it looks on my body than the stencil did. We shrunk the original stencil a fair bit but when he put it on I thought it was small-ish in the mirror. Now that I've actually had the tattoo done, it's bigger than I had in my head but I love it. Being in that area it's for me, not for other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

athtrasna wrote: »
    Well I did it! Got it tonight. Opted for my hip region..bringing in some bone area...and what they say is true, it definitely did hurt more there. But much of it was grand to mildly uncomfortable.

Followed the advice here, thanks for the tips. Will post the pic in the other thread shortly.

The thing that really stood out was how much bigger it looks on my body than the stencil did. We shrunk the original stencil a fair bit but when he put it on I thought it was small-ish in the mirror. Now that I've actually had the tattoo done, it's bigger than I had in my head but I love it. Being in that area it's for me, not for other people.

I found the exact same thing with my last tattoo. Seeing the stencil, I was like 'Ah yeah, that's as small as I want it,' then when it was on my arm I realised it covered half of my inner forearm. :pac:

Can't wait to see pics! :)

Advertisement