Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vapour Control - Flat roof

• 29-10-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All,

I have recently a flat roof constructed as part of new build, however i am not sure as to whether a vapour control layer has been installed under the insulation, most likely not. Can i do anything to ensure there is no future problems with condensation etc. I have yet to slab under the roof joists. Also would the introduction of insulation between the roof joists as well as the insulation which has already been installed above the roof deck cause any issue?

Any info much appreciated.

Regards

Jimmytom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

jimmytom wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have recently a flat roof constructed as part of new build, however i am not sure as to whether a vapour control layer has been installed under the insulation, most likely not. Can i do anything to ensure there is no future problems with condensation etc. I have yet to slab under the roof joists. Also would the introduction of insulation between the roof joists as well as the insulation which has already been installed above the roof deck cause any issue?

Any info much appreciated.

Regards

Jimmytom

If the insulation is above the deck there should be little fear of condensation as there won't be a cold surface where moisture can condense. Foil backed plasterboard could be used as a vapour barrier.

What kind of a room is the roof over? Will there be much moisture produced in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jimmytom

bdoo wrote: »
    If the insulation is above the deck there should be little fear of condensation as there won't be a cold surface where moisture can condense. Foil backed plasterboard could be used as a vapour barrier.

What kind of a room is the roof over? Will there be much moisture produced in it.

Thanks for the speedy reply - the roof will be over a hallway porch and utility. I'll use foil backed plasterboard. from my research a vapour control layer is noticed as a must under the insulation above the roof deck. i suppose my fear would be that the roof deck becoming damaged due to condensation. would the introduction of insulation in between the joists of the roof deck cause issues?

many thanks for your help to date

Advertisement