Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scott Forstall Leaves Apple

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Piliger wrote: »
    It is ridiculous and arrogant to expect Apple to cater for every tiny minority user interest, such as this imho. I understand unhappiness .... but the vitriolic 'hate' for the app is OTT.

How do you know that he is in the tiny minority? I too listen to a lot of podcasts including many of BBC Radio 4's programs that are between 15 to 30 mins. Let's also be honest, its hardly a difficult feature to implement.

Maps and Podcasts are probably indicative of why Scott was fired. Apple are maestros at marketing where objective is to 'surprise and delight' yet those two apps just plain disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

It is ridiculous and arrogant to expect Apple to cater for every tiny minority user interest, such as this imho. I understand unhappiness .... but the vitriolic 'hate' for the app is OTT.

I have more Apple products than I care to admit, and I love the work that they do in general, but they're not infallible. They make mistakes and if you cant admit to that you are just being stubborn and a tad stupid.

I hate (yes actual hate) the application simply because it doesn't work for me. Its not intuitive, it doesnt look nice (even with all of its superfluous UI elements), it doesnt target power users, and it makes it too cumbersome to use for general use (stuff like icloud support that is missing is just idiotic).

It always amazes me that some people take any negative remark towards Apple (or any other company for that matter) as a personal attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

It is ridiculous and arrogant to expect Apple to cater for every tiny minority user interest

LOL

Just take what Apple give ya and shut your mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

miralize wrote: »
    I have more Apple products than I care to admit, and I love the work that they do in general, but they're not infallible. They make mistakes and if you cant admit to that you are just being stubborn and a tad stupid.

I hate (yes actual hate) the application simply because it doesn't work for me. Its not intuitive, it doesnt look nice (even with all of its superfluous UI elements), it doesnt target power users, and it makes it too cumbersome to use for general use (stuff like icloud support that is missing is just idiotic).

It always amazes me that some people take any negative remark towards Apple (or any other company for that matter) as a personal attack.

Just in regards to the highlighted part, what do you mean it doesn't work for you? The actual app is broken or your just not happy with it. See for me I love the design and the app works perfectly. I agree they could add the features that are being discussed but in terms of an overall podcasts app it does the job for me and i'm sure it does for others. I wouldn't like the design changed I love the UI. At first it was buggy and needed fixing but Apple have since done that. Only reason to fault it would be missing features. The UI design is subjective really so you can't really blame them for that. Some will like it, others will hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

DubDJ wrote: »
    Just in regards to the highlighted part, what do you mean it doesn't work for you? The actual app is broken or your just not happy with it. See for me I love the design and the app works perfectly. I agree they could add the features that are being discussed but in terms of an overall podcasts app it does the job for me and i'm sure it does for others. I wouldn't like the design changed I love the UI. At first it was buggy and needed fixing but Apple have since done that. Only reason to fault it would be missing features. The UI design is subjective really so you can't really blame them for that. Some will like it, others will hate it.

But thats the point, if they're going to put in the time to make it look like that, why didnt they spend more time in actually getting it to work well, instead of making look "flashy"? Its a good example of actually forgetting what the task at hand was..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

All I want from Apple is consistency and modern looking UIs.

iOS hasn't changed much visually since 2007 exept for switching the dock from aluminimum and folders really. Android has changed dramatically, so has Blackberry and then Windows Phone launched.

iOS7 needs a bit of an overhaul, have a 'pro switch', allow some apple-verified customisation (it works well with Apps, why not?), widgets, extra settings, quick toggles etc. Put a disclaimer going into that section of the app store saying these apps may slow the OS down over time but can be easily removed. People like me who want customisation are happy, and normal users don't have to use it. Apple could even have their own stock widgets etc.

I just want the homescreen to be something more than just a static grid of icons, windows phone feels alive as an OS, Android feels like it gives you the power to do what you want. Apple should just take the best from each and put their own elegant twist on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

dmcg90 wrote: »
    All I want from Apple is consistency and modern looking UIs.

iOS hasn't changed much visually since 2007 exept for switching the dock from aluminimum and folders really. Android has changed dramatically, so has Blackberry and then Windows Phone launched.

iOS7 needs a bit of an overhaul, have a 'pro switch', allow some apple-verified customisation (it works well with Apps, why not?), widgets, extra settings, quick toggles etc. Put a disclaimer going into that section of the app store saying these apps may slow the OS down over time but can be easily removed. People like me who want customisation are happy, and normal users don't have to use it. Apple could even have their own stock widgets etc.

I just want the homescreen to be something more than just a static grid of icons, windows phone feels alive as an OS, Android feels like it gives you the power to do what you want. Apple should just take the best from each and put their own elegant twist on it.

be careful what you wish for..I switched over to a S3 about 6 weeks ago as I was disappointed originally with the ip5. I had my IP4 for about 2.5 years and was very pleased with it but I wished for widgets/larger screen/customization etc.
    Between battery issues, laggy performance on the S3 (you need to constantly monitor what apps you have open), to the overall size of the screen (yes it looks fantastic but 4.8inch is too big, the S2 had it perfect in my opinion) I soon regretted the change.
    I estimated since I got it that I only used it approx 50% of the time compared to the iphone due to it's size and having to use 2 hands to securely grasp it (that glass is extremely fragile and a 2 foot drop will smash it as I found out within days).
    I eventually sold it last night and purchased a 4s today and am delighted with it..sure I wish the screen was slighter bigger and toggle switches for bluetooth/wireless etc much like sbsettings...but you know what I like best?
    Having bt/wifi/gps/sync/push email enabled 100% of the time on my iphone and not having to worry about the battery knowing it will still be around the 50% map after heavy usage when I get home around 6pm.
    The S3 I use to do a top up in work as I used to constantly worry about battery life.

And most importantly...there's a huge amount of dodgy apps on play store..some of the access required is extremely dodgy for some apps and I wouldn't dream of using my banking app or paypal on it...no such worries on the iphone on the other hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Blazer wrote: »
    be careful what you wish for..I switched over to a S3 about 6 weeks ago as I was disappointed originally with the ip5. I had my IP4 for about 2.5 years and was very pleased with it but I wished for widgets/larger screen/customization etc.
    Between battery issues, laggy performance on the S3 (you need to constantly monitor what apps you have open), to the overall size of the screen (yes it looks fantastic but 4.8inch is too big, the S2 had it perfect in my opinion) I soon regretted the change.
    I estimated since I got it that I only used it approx 50% of the time compared to the iphone due to it's size and having to use 2 hands to securely grasp it (that glass is extremely fragile and a 2 foot drop will smash it as I found out within days).
    I eventually sold it last night and purchased a 4s today and am delighted with it..sure I wish the screen was slighter bigger and toggle switches for bluetooth/wireless etc much like sbsettings...but you know what I like best?
    Having bt/wifi/gps/sync/push email enabled 100% of the time on my iphone and not having to worry about the battery knowing it will still be around the 50% map after heavy usage when I get home around 6pm.
    The S3 I use to do a top up in work as I used to constantly worry about battery life.

And most importantly...there's a huge amount of dodgy apps on play store..some of the access required is extremely dodgy for some apps and I wouldn't dream of using my banking app or paypal on it...no such worries on the iphone on the other hand.

I had a JB'd iPhone 4s and no problems with battery (only had SBS settings and Five Icon Dock). If the next iPhone gets another speed and memory increase theres nothing to say that it wouldn't be able to support apple approved extensions such as SBS or Five Icon Dock if they met certain memory and privacy standards.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I had a JB'd iPhone 4s and no problems with battery (only had SBS settings and Five Icon Dock). If the next iPhone gets another speed and memory increase theres nothing to say that it wouldn't be able to support apple approved extensions such as SBS or Five Icon Dock if they met certain memory and privacy standards.

couldn't agree more on the sbsettings. Why Apple haven't hired the guy is beyond me unless they're afraid of being sued due to it being familiar to android's version? But since when did that stop Apple :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Apple tend to do things at their own pace. They won't look at a competitor's quad-core phone and say let's bring out a quad-core iPhone. They upgrade what they feel needs a boost and add features that they try and test to work 100%. Thats why the whole Maps/Podcasts thing has caused such a backlash. I know I was shocked at how buggy Podcasts we're originally (although its working fine now), people we're so used to perfection. There are always bugs and problems but bringing out sub-par apps isn't really 'Apple'. For me Maps and Podcasts work great but i'm not a huge user of either and wouldn't be as annoyed as people who use them daily or rely on either for work etc.

I just can't see Apple doing a complete overhaul of the iPhone or iOS. Widgets are flashy, unneeded battery drains. Quick settings are something i'd like and I think they could be implemented in iOS 7. But custom themes, changing default browsers, music players etc. is just something I don't see happening in the near future. But then again I never expected the iPad mini to actually be released.

• Advertisement

It's the standard keyboard I hate..I'd love if swiftkey was available for the iphone..really is a fantastic keyboard..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

personal tastes I assume..for me I like to spend less time typing which shiftkey allows me to do but swype means you have to swipe your finger over the entire keyboard etc..both are impressive keyboards irregardless of your preference and I wish Apple would sort something out here.

actually if you're jailbroken can you use a different keyboard?

Advertisement