Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biscuits

Options
  • 29-10-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

How can I stop homemade biscuits from going soggy? Can I vary the recipe as they're crispy after baking but become soggy even when stored in an airtight container?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Eat them quicker?

What sort of recipe are you using, and for how long are you storing them? Is there anything else in the storage container with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

I heard putting a few cream crackers in with them should help. You could always give them 5 mins in a hot oven to crisp them back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Prenderb wrote: »
    Eat them quicker?

What sort of recipe are you using, and for how long are you storing them? Is there anything else in the storage container with them?

It's a shortbread recipe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think this is more suited to Cake & Pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Shortbread has a low moisture content to begin with, as the only water in the recipe comes from the butter. This is what makes them crisp. But the addition of sugar, which attracts water from the environment, is what causes them to go soggy.

Ideally you'd want to store them in a zip-lock plastic bag, with some sachets of silica gel thrown in for good measure, and then put that into an airtight container. Sachets of silica gel are great to prevent biscuits absorbing moisture. You normally find them in shoe boxes, beef jerky, supplement containers, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement