Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike blocking access to services

Options
  • 29-10-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All.

I live in an apartment in Kildare and there is a motorbike locked down on the footpath in the front of the block and blocking access to both my ESB and Gas meters.

First off its blocking getting my meters read but more importantly its a saftey issue as it does be left running and if there is a gas leak at all the whole place could go up.

Management Company have been told about they wrote to him telling him it was to be removed. it appears that he is "breaking the house rules" He was told to remove it or they would, the time limit has gone over and the management company have done nothing further, even though they said they would move the bike if he didn't

What next can I do about this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Read the meter when the bikes gone. If your in fear of your house blowing up I'd start packing the bags.
    Seriously though talk to the bike owner in person and tell him it's preventing your meter being read and would he mind locking it somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pug2013

Its locked down to the path 90% of the time. He has been asked to move it for the above reasons and has not done so.

I don't think there's a safety issue, maybe with the welfare of the bike but not your own personal safety that's a nonsense excuse to make a complaint.
    If there is an issue reading the meters will the ESB not do something about it? Can you not just read them in the 10% window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I don't think there's a safety issue, maybe with the welfare of the bike but not your own personal safety that's a nonsense excuse to make a complaint.
    If there is an issue reading the meters will the ESB not do something about it? Can you not just read them in the 10% window.

I would disagree that it's not a safety issue. If the bike is blocking the services, then it must be on the path. There would be insurance issues regarding the risk of the bike falling over and injuring someone. Any motor vehicle should be parked in a parking space only and not in other common areas. It is your management company's responsibility to ensure that this is complied with.

After uploading picture now

picture.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Pug2013 wrote: »
    Have attached picture

Have failed at attaching picture..

Can you not see the picture at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Report the issue to the Gardai and the local fire safety officer (your local fire station). Both can investigate. Illegal parking can be dealt with by the Gardai, and the fire safety office can investigate if it is a safety issue. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

This all reminds me of those times when i had a car parked outside my driveway blocking my gates. Clearly he couldn't read as it said NO PARKING.

Once i got so mad i even wrote a note.

That told him off, all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭McGixxer

Have attached picture

Picture no worky... please try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What's with all the hostility in this thread? Is there not a reasonably clear point that the bike should not be parked on the path and is blocking access to services?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MadsL wrote: »
    What's with all the hostility in this thread? Is there not a reasonably clear point that the bike should not be parked on the path and is blocking access to services?
    Posts deleted

Constructive posts only please.

The Cuckoo's Nest is over there

> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=483

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Report bike to management company; it should not be parked on a footpath. Let them deal with it.

Is that a door behind the bike? If so then it looks like its doing a great job of blocking access to/from the building. Could be a serious safety hazard in the case of a fire etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bikes get stolen a lot, the owner is parking it there for safety. It wouldn't last a month parked in an actual parking space, not to mention the fact there would be another thread here complaining about a bike taking up a full parking space :pac:
    djimi wrote: »
    Report bike to management company; it should not be parked on a footpath. Let them deal with it.

Is that a door behind the bike? If so then it looks like its doing a great job of blocking access to/from the building. Could be a serious safety hazard in the case of a fire etc...

I'd assume that's probably the bike owner's door.

I'd assume that's probably the bike owner's door.

Even still, it could be a fire safety issue.

Also, blocking access to the meters is a hassle, and shouldn't be allowed. I would also guess that if there is a gas mains there (to the meter) then there is an emergency shutoff valve there too, which requires 24/7 access.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Bikes get stolen a lot, the owner is parking it there for safety. It wouldn't last a month parked in an actual parking space, not to mention the fact there would be another thread here complaining about a bike taking up a full parking space :pac:

How is it any less likely to get stolen where it is currently parked (unless its bolted to the wall, which I very much doubt)? I doubt a potential thief is going to care that its right beside the front door...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bored of Force v4

In all fairness its not like he has it parked in front of a burning building full of screaming children is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cloudhopper

Pug you ever spoke to the lad in person? As like in "EVER"?

Sometimes personal interactions solves issues like this way quicker and easier than throwing official complaints around. Motorbikers are human beings, you can talk to them you know.

Yes thats his front door beyond the bike. He has a garden and docking area out the back of his apartment where he could lock it down securely.
    And yes my gas mains emergency shutoff valve is there too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Can see it from both sides here. Don't think it warrants throwing the book at the biker but at the same time due consideration should be given for him to move if a metre if being read.

It's not a fire or health & safety hazard FWIW

I'd talk to you neighbour in a friendly manner. Maybe he can contribute toward getting a transparent door on your meter box. My parents installed one on their own recently.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    It's not a fire or health & safety hazard FWIW

How can you say that?

If it is blocking access to the gas meter, then it is a health and safety issue. The gas meter has an emergency cutoff valve on it (usually). Blocking access to that is definitely a safety issue.

If it's only an electric meter, then it's not the same issue, but the OP did say that the bike blocked access to both gas and electric meters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Paulw wrote: »

How can you say that?

If it is blocking access to the gas meter, then it is a health and safety issue. The gas meter has an emergency cutoff valve on it (usually). Blocking access to that is definitely a safety issue.

If it's only an electric meter, then it's not the same issue, but the OP did say that the bike blocked access to both gas and electric meters.

Oops my bad. I missed the bit about blocking the gas meter

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cloudhopper

Yes thats his front door beyond the bike. He has a garden and docking area out the back of his apartment where he could lock it down securely.
    And yes my gas mains emergency shutoff valve is there too.

That's a shame.

We all react differently to different things, I for once probably wouldn't worry about it too much (they debit the money they want, if there is a gas leak there i a main valve in the road, if the house is already on fire it doesn't matter anyway...) but then there are most likely things that'd tick me off that wouldn't bother you.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

First off its blocking getting my meters read but more importantly its a saftey issue as it does be left running and if there is a gas leak at all the whole place could go up.

I might be way off reading between the lines here but is you issue more to do with the bike being left to warm up in the mornings at silly o clock perhaps.

I've a couple of bikes left running like that near me and there's nothing worse. The worst offender has since binned his bike so the 5am scorpion shorty wake up call has gone :D

Either way if he's blocking access to your gas meter ask the man to move the bike you don't say which meter is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭McGixxer

I went round today and fixed the problem

nomotorbikes.jpg

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Either way if he's blocking access to your gas meter ask the man to move the bike you don't say which meter is yours.
    Let's not speculate who owns what meter.

Victor wrote: »
    Let's not speculate who owns what meter.

What do you mean by that??

I was simply pointing out that if his gas meter was the one near the front wheel of the bike then would it be an issue if the bike was moved back a meter.

Where were you going with your comment?

All we need now is some cider and things should really explode..

Seriously though folks no point bashing each other, if anyone is to be bashed it should be the "noob" with his tale of woe about exploding motorbikes that never leave home.

If I didn't know better i'd say the bike is probably haunted with puffy's ghost.

leeomurchu wrote: »
    What do you mean by that??
    Given the amount of muppetry I've had to delete on the thread, your post could be interpreted as speculating or inviting speculation as to which meter was which. This is inappropriate.

End of discussion. On-topic please.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Given the amount of muppetry I've had to delete on the thread, your post could be interpreted as speculating or inviting speculation as to which meter was which. This is inappropriate.

End of discussion. On-topic please.

Right you'd want to adjust how your addressing me sunshine.

My point was valid and reasonable. Is there need for me to report you!!

I'll choose when to end a conversation when someone refers to my comment as muppetry(ridiculous word) Moderator or not you'd want to be careful you don't get above your station sunny boy.

Boards really need to start clamping down on their moderators and their attitudes.

Advertisement