Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keloid scarring.

Options
  • 29-10-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

My friend got a tattoo of her daughters name on the back of her neck in december 2007. Everything has been fine until this summer she went on hols and was in say 40 degree heat. Her neck started to get itchy and she started to feel little raised bumps on her neck. So her bf took a picture for her (she had been thinking it was maybe a heat rash) but she discovered it was all bumpy along the lines of the tattoo. Into the doc she went and the doctor called 5 other doctors into the room to look at her. After, the doc said "you have made my day, I have never seen this before". They told her it was keloid scarring but they had never seen it come up like that in the shape of a tattoo, the tattoo is like braille if you know what I mean. They said usually if a tattoo is going to cause someone trouble it would be like in the few days or weeks after it being done not 5 years later! She is being referred to a skin consultant just to have it all checked over.
    Has anyone ever heard of this happening etc. etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

My tattoos get the odd wierd raised spot on them like that when I'm in the heat sometimes.

Unless her tattoo is constantly "raised" then I doubt it's keloid scarring.

Look, she's got a foreign body under her skin. Heat, cold, whatever can cause it to act a bit strange sometimes. Maybe once a year. Maybe once every five years. It happens to everyone I know who has tattoos. They don't have keloid scarring. It's just a raised feeling in certain spots maybe once or twice a year for some strange reason.

In this instance I'd tell her not to worry about it, especially if it only happens when she's really hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

Totally agree with paulees comment above. In hot climates i get small itchy bumps song the lines of parts of my tattoo , especially on my forearms. They go down in a few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

Totally agree with paulees comment above. In hot climates i get small itchy bumps along the lines of parts of my tattoo , especially on my forearms. They go down in a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Stargirl's friend's "itchy bumps" obviously did not go down after a few hours; if they had the query would not be posted.

If the doctors who've examined her advise that it's keloid scarring, then they are probably right. The neck and shoulders are a common site for keloid scarring. The cause may not be the tattoo alone, but the tattoo, leading to itching/swelling in hot conditions, leading to scratching, leading to abrasion, leading to keloid scarring. If she got sunburned on the same holiday, this could also be a trigger factor for keloid formation.

Keloid is not dangerous, and is not contagious. It may be uncomfortable or unsightly. She's been referred to a dermatologist, who will confirm (or correct) the diagnosis and advise on treatment options.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Keloids can fade away but usually with steroidal treatment. I have 2 and one almost went away but the second unfortunately dif not respond. Treat early for best results and avoid tatoos if they are Keloids

• Advertisement
Advertisement